Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What have you done on your Street Triple today?  (Read 763516 times)

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: What have you done on your Street Triple today?
« Reply #5030 on: Yesterday at 08:54:51 PM »
Today I made a tool, a bit like the clamp part of Kawasaki workshop tool 57001-1587 (stick with me here  :038:). Technically I made it for my ZX10 but it will be useful for the Street Triple too (I'll test it later this year).

Basically, my Laser fork compressing tool - and the homemade one I made two years ago - can only just compress the fork enough on the Street to get at the locknut on the damper rod that holds the fork top on and you need a damper rod locknut tool to slide underneath the locknut tonstorp it slipping back down inside the spacer before you undo it. This is because the holes in the plastic spacer that hide said locknut are a bit too low down. If you done this yourselves, hopefully you'll know what I'm on about.

On my ZX10 it was impossible to compress the spring enough to get at the locknut because the outer fork tube hits the top of the Laser fork tool, soooooo.... I noticed Kwak specify their own compression tool that includes a clamp that attaches to the very top of plastic spacer, which therefore starts compressing from higher up. Here are some photos.

Sorry about the poor metal work skills. In addition to being cack handed I also only had a little ally left, so the tool is made up of two layers of 4mm thick ally plate and.....a thick kitchen chopping board  :001: :001:

If you want to make one, the hole in the chopping board is 51mm (this allows the top of the outer fork tube to locate inside it stopping it from moving left or right) and the central hole in the ally is 28mm. After that you just need to cut out the notches for the tab in the fork top. The adapter has to split in two to allow you to fit it to the fork top before you then use it to compress the spring, hence all the bolts. If it works on my Street later this year I'll post more in the relevant section (I can't see why not as the outer fork tube is also 50mm).
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:25:17 PM by OuzoStreet »

Offline Matte Mike

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 Striple R
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5031 on: Yesterday at 09:27:58 PM »
Ive been changing out my fork oil too. The two forks are currently hanging upside down draining.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #5032 on: Yesterday at 09:31:23 PM »
Ha ha, the draining is soooo boring, pumping the damper rod and getting it everywhere (well, I do  :001:), at which point I realise I forgot to get changed and I'm in my "good" jeans. Oops.

For what it's worth, I tried mixing 2.5w and 5w Rock Oil together when I last did mine and I'm much happier with the damping, though I read somewhere this isn't necessarily a good idea on cartridge forks due to the way the shims work. But anyway, it suits me.

Offline Matte Mike

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 Striple R
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5033 on: Yesterday at 10:15:14 PM »
Boring yes but I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment given current circumstances.
I did a lot of reading and comparing notes across forums. Im going to be replacing with Motul 5w oil and see how I fare.

Leaving the shocks to hang over night got rid of a good 60-70ml more oil than the pump and pour method.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
« Reply #5034 on: Yesterday at 10:23:15 PM »
Somewhere on here I posted a comparative pdf showing the thickness of different brands of fork oil at a given temperature. Apparently one brand of 10w fork oil is not necessarily as thick as another, if you see what I mean. I never knew this until recently and just assumed that 10w meant 10w like with engine oil.

It looked like 5w Rock oil was slightly thicker than the factory 5w oil for our forks, hence why I mixed it with 2.5w. Bit confusing. I didn't have access to Motul at the time.

The old oil I took out of mine, though looking nearly new, was extremely thick which would explain why I'd had to back off the compression and rebound to settings much softer than Triumph recommend. I honestly think someone had put 10w in it instead of 5w.

EDIT: screenshots here https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,34046.msg373410.html#msg373410
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:26:40 PM by OuzoStreet »

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat