Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Avon 3D ultra sport fitted  (Read 6524 times)

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '14 STR
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: Avon 3D ultra sport fitted
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »
Avon 3D Ultra Sport are fantastic, love these tyres. Inspire confidence, easy to go from edge to edge, very predictable and linear when going from upright to full lean, good on damp road but no idea what they're like when its very wet. Will not be using Pirelli again on the STR.

Offline thirdway

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: KTM 990 SMT
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by JulesW [+]
Avon 3D Ultra Sport are fantastic, love these tyres. Inspire confidence, easy to go from edge to edge, very predictable and linear when going from upright to full lean, good on damp road but no idea what they're like when its very wet. Will not be using Pirelli again on the STR.

Not as good as the PR3s in the wet, but a heck of a lot nicer on the dry roads most of us want to ride. Still decent in the wet in comparison to others, but for those looking for commuting use in all conditions the Mitch is a better option. The Avons feel very neutral, and as you say, very linear, there is no falling in or need to apply extra effort to get them to turn.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
Used the Avon Ultra 3D Sport on a dry track day yesterday and they were absolutely brilliant. Rode it like I'd robbed it all day and got tons of grip and feel with a super predictable linear tip in to full lean. I really rate these and since I'm very much a fair weather recreational rider I can tolerate a little less wet performance. That said you can still have a spirited blast through the twisties in damp conditions with this tyre.

Offline thirdway

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: KTM 990 SMT
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by JulesW [+]
Used the Avon Ultra 3D Sport on a dry track day yesterday and they were absolutely brilliant. Rode it like I'd robbed it all day and got tons of grip and feel with a super predictable linear tip in to full lean. I really rate these and since I'm very much a fair weather recreational rider I can tolerate a little less wet performance. That said you can still have a spirited blast through the twisties in damp conditions with this tyre.

Yes, pretty much faultless in the dry. I don't push hard in the rain anyway, but I can feel a little squirm over white lines and severe tar banding-but that was where the PR3s excelled in the wet, but weirdly in the dry they rode up the lines and ridges making the ride a bit fidgety.

How are they wearing ? I've only got a few hundred miles on mine but they don't seem to show any signs of squaring.

Good to hear they work on the track. Avon seem to have really sorted themselves out-it might not be long before they gain real popularity and a price to match. That happened to me when I bought the first gen R1100GS. When I wanted to trade it in, no dealer wanted it. They said it would be too hard to get rid of because it was an oddity. Had it advertised in the paper for ages. Then, after I finally managed to get shot of it, they suddenly became popular, unobtainable and bloody expensive.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »
Here's a pic of the 3D Ultras wear after a few Anglesey laps

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »
Snot-tastic. Looks like you had fun!
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »
New Avon 3D Ultras fitment tomorrow at Buckley Tyre Service who provide an excellent service in N.E. Wales. In my humble opinion, these tyres are freaking awesome and I won't use anything else now. Gone through two rears and one front in 5000 miles, this includes one track day. Very grippy, predictable tyre with super smooth linear tip in and an exception amount of feel. Not experienced any weird sh!t or 'moments' with them ever having ridden aggressively on them almost all of the time.

Avon don't seem to be a 'trendy' brand at the moment but I can assure you the 3D Ultras are fabulously good fun on dry track and or dry/damp road. Can't comment much on wet weather performance as I only ride in the rain when caught out by it, but on the odd occasion when the heavens have opened the 3Ds have been fine.

Offline Snox

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Rsv
  • City / Town: Tamworth
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
Jules seems ya rate the ultra ( forgetting the mileage out of um ) . Couple of questions if ya read this mate . Do they warm up quick , good for side to side  of tyre for fast road riding and have ya road um in the wet mate . Cheers .

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Snox [+]
Jules seems ya rate the ultra ( forgetting the mileage out of um ) . Couple of questions if ya read this mate . Do they warm up quick , good for side to side  of tyre for fast road riding and have ya road um in the wet mate . Cheers .

Hi Snox, the Avon 3D Ultra is a great tyre for sporty riding whether on road or track. They're relatively inexpensive as well. That said, I have switched to Metzeler M7RR which are more expensive and give similar sports performance but last longer.

Offline Snox

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Rsv
  • City / Town: Tamworth
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:49 PM »
Cheers Jules . My mate had a pair on a track bike n found they flexed to much for him so we banged um on the bike yesterday , now all I need is a good ride to see how they feel . Had the m7 on a k4 750 n where great tyres .

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat