Author Topic: Vinyl wrapped mufflers  (Read 7720 times)

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Re: Vinyl wrapped mufflers
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 12:40:51 PM
Today, my "street triple 675 " stickers arrived. So I could finish the job as I visualized it in my head.

With the bad weather and all that , I did not really do a lot of miles on the bike, but I did test the carbon folie during 2 trips of around 45 km each on different trajects, some high speed highway, some backroads, a little idling inbetween , so the bike was softly ticking when I shut the engine and all went well. The carbon vinyl did not melt. Lets see what summertemperatures will do.

Anyway , The first 7cm ( not so big) of the OEM exhaust is the reflection part and that gets really hot. ( maybe to hot in the future?), The rest is the absorbtion part and doesn't get that hot. So lets see if the 3M Carbon vinyl on my OEM's will stand the test of time and heatcycles
It may be that the TOR exhausts , that Mpact used, are flow thrue  and only have a absorbtion part?? ( that explains their deeper rumble) and just get less hot on the entry pipe?
Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:51:54 PM by gvy

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 01:29:15 PM
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Today, my "street triple 675 " stickers arrived. So I could finish the job as I visualized it in my head.

With the bad weather and all that , I did not really do a lot of miles on the bike, but I did test the carbon folie during 2 trips of around 45 km each on different trajects, some high speed highway, some backroads, a little idling inbetween , so the bike was softly ticking when I shut the engine and all went well. The carbon vinyl did not melt. Lets see what summertemperatures will do.

Anyway , The first 7cm ( not so big) of the OEM exhaust is the reflection part and that gets really hot. ( maybe to hot in the future?), The rest is the absorbtion part and doesn't get that hot. So lets see if the 3M Carbon vinyl on my OEM's will stand the test of time and heatcycles
It may be that the TOR exhausts , that Mpact used, are flow thrue  and only have a absorbtion part?? ( that explains their deeper rumble) and just get less hot on the entry pipe?

Nice work, Geert - that looks REALLY good.

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 08:53:19 AM
Very, VERY nice work Geert. :062:

A similar modification will look great on my Yamaha TDR250 2-stroke stingers (end-cans).

Steve.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 09:22:04 PM
Steve,

Thank you.
Check out the temperature of the endcans when you push the bike hard. I have no idea if a two stroke engine wil have hotter exhaustfumes/ cans.
To be honnest , We are pushing the limits of the vinyl using it on our exhaustcans. Depending on the bike and the type of exhaust it will or will not cope.
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:24:22 PM by gvy

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 11:00:10 AM
Good point. I will be sure to check, but my feeling is that there won't be a problem as I don't think they get as hot as modern 4-stroke exhausts.  :028:
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

scandal-fat