Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: KTM 390?  (Read 916 times)

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
  • City / Town: London
Re: KTM 390?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
It's actually quite a quick little bike, and I keep forgetting this fact before I take it out.
Open up the taps, and it fairly motors along.
However, you have to remember that it has only 43 bhp.
(Compare that to a Velocette Venom 500 that had 34 bhp, and was considered a quick bike in its day.)
Overtaking takes a little planning, and it's no Street Triple in that respect.
A road test will give you an idea of how it works for you, or not.

I've just remembered another fail: the TFT display is prone to internal condensation.
I had mine replaced, but the replacement was just as bad one day later.
Word is that KTM has an upgraded TFT screen for 2019 - my dealer told me wait a while before bringing it in again.

As for piggy-back ECUs, there are a few on the market.
I chose the Coober, as it was developed in association with KTM, I believe.
The Powertronic is meant to be good, and you can add a quick-shifter with this ECU.
Another that springs to mind is the Rapid Bike Evo.
If funds are tight, then you might want to consider a BoosterPlug - eBay is your friend here.

I went for the Leo Vince, as they can provide a pre-silencer that gets rid of the huge and heavy "tea pot".
I liked the look of the Arrow, but IIRC there was no "tea pot" eliminator, and I didn't want two suppliers.
BTW, you don't need a re-map even for the Akrapoviĉ - the re-map is for pre-2017 bikes.
HTH

Perfect, got the test ride on Saturday so can update after that. So even on 2017 or newer bikes I can put an exhaust on and not need a remap, however recommend to still get a piggy back ECU to sort out fueling?

Online Ben_M

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Beds
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 08:51:34 PM »
Yes it's fine. I've got the akrapovic on mine and have taken out the baffle with no I'll effects. Let us know how you get on Saturday.

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ben_M [+]
Yes it's fine. I've got the akrapovic on mine and have taken out the baffle with no I'll effects. Let us know how you get on Saturday.

Thank you. How do you find the fueling with a standard ECU? I am reading a lot online that its not great low down the rev range.

Online Ben_M

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Beds
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
I've got no problem with it and didn't notice any change between exhaust changes. It's not like the street where you can pull in any gear it sounds stupid but you do have to make sure right gear. Switching between the 2 you'll notice you shift more on the 390

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
However, you have to remember that it has only 43 bhp.

Yes but it will be fun using all 43 horses all the time on country roads.......but cruising at 70 on the m/way might get a little tedious without the comfort cushion of fresh horses in the stable available from a ST.

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
So took it for a test ride and I must say what a lovely bike, the slipper clutch, lightness and the way it handles are amazing. I have decided that I will not be getting one though, really due to the lack of power. Would love it as a second bike but I would feel like I am missing out if I got rid of the Street Triple for it.

Maybe one day I could afford 2 bikes, this would definitely go in my garage.

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford, Somerset
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
Good decision.
I have a KTM 390, as mentioned before, but I wouldn't be without the Street Triple.
The 390 is definitely a good second bike, but no substitute.

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
I like the idea of a Ktm as second bike but when I read the new bike reviews in mcn test bikes it puts me off buying a ktm, they recently had a 790 on test and that bike rusted and had lots of problems, the worst review was on the 1290 which had to have its crank cases changed because they were porous plus discs twice plus lots of other things.in last weeks mcn they did a review on the 390 which had a big list of things to watch out for, its a shame ktm cant get there act together or for the japs to make something similar.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat