Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brake lines rubbing forks  (Read 378 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline darich

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 349
  • Bike: 2016 ST3
  • City / Town: Near Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
Brake lines rubbing forks
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
I have a 2016 Street triple and I've noticed that the braided brake pipes have rubbed on the forks and caused a little bit of damage.
I think a possible fix to increase the gap between the pipes and the forks would be to replace the Y junction which is up above the radiator with one that is a slightly different shape and aims the pipes away.

Does such a part exist? Should be easy enough to replace I'd think.

I've adjusted the connection from the pipe into the caliper to direct the pipes away but I'm happy to hear of any other suggestiuons.

Offline Matte Mike

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Posts: 41
  • Bike: 2014 Striple R
  • City / Town: Manchester
  • Country: UK
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:24:19 PM »
I had the same issue on another bike. I simply put a bit of helicopter tape on the fork to stop the pipe rubbing directly on it.

Offline Tomspurs

  • Street Triple God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8826
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
  • Country: England
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:18:27 AM »
+1  :028: for chopper tape if your hose is chaffing......  :007:   
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Online greyhound81

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
  • Bike: ST 675 Gold Edition
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by darich [+]
I have a 2016 Street triple and I've noticed that the braided brake pipes have rubbed on the forks and caused a little bit of damage.
I think a possible fix to increase the gap between the pipes and the forks would be to replace the Y junction which is up above the radiator with one that is a slightly different shape and aims the pipes away.

Does such a part exist? Should be easy enough to replace I'd think.

I've adjusted the connection from the pipe into the caliper to direct the pipes away but I'm happy to hear of any other suggestiuons.

Same thing happened on my 2016 street triple 675, had the fork tube replaced by triumph on warranty and they re-directed the brake lines so they dont rub any longer
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline Tomspurs

  • Street Triple God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8826
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
  • Country: England
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by greyhound81 [+]
Same thing happened on my 2016 street triple 675, had the fork tube replaced by triumph on warranty and they re-directed the brake lines so they dont rub any longer

Pic needed then to show new routing  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline darich

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 349
  • Bike: 2016 ST3
  • City / Town: Near Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »
Thanks guys

In the meantime I've ordered some soft white silcone tubing and I'll cut it long ways and use it to shroud my brake pipes.

If it looks terrible or doesn't work, then I'll need to have a rethink but rerouting would be good....that's why I was wondering what the Y junction above the radiator is called because replacing that with something that directs the pipes away from the forks would be helpful.

Offline darich

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 349
  • Bike: 2016 ST3
  • City / Town: Near Glasgow
  • Country: Scotland
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by greyhound81 [+]
Same thing happened on my 2016 street triple 675, had the fork tube replaced by triumph on warranty and they re-directed the brake lines so they dont rub any longer

I bought the bike from a main Triumph dealer about 6months ago but it's not local. How did you go about getting the warranty to cover it?

Offline JonyB

  • Street Triple Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
  • Country: Australia
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by greyhound81 [+]
Same thing happened on my 2016 street triple 675, had the fork tube replaced by triumph on warranty and they re-directed the brake lines so they dont rub any longer

How did you managed that? How much damage did it actually do?

I have a similar issue, and I'd bet that pretty much all bikes with OEM lines / line setup will rub the fork leg (right leg) at a point... Worse case it ends up wearing a bit of the leg coating, but don't see what terrible problem that is... Maybe I'm just not too worried about pristine looks these days anymore...
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Online greyhound81

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
  • Bike: ST 675 Gold Edition
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: UK
Re: Brake lines rubbing forks
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by darich [+]
I bought the bike from a main Triumph dealer about 6months ago but it's not local. How did you go about getting the warranty to cover it?

just took it back to Triumph Carl Rosner South Croydon where i bought it, no questions asked they sorted it out, there was not much damage, just some marks on the fork leg, although i have to say i remember they left some spanner marks on the top fork nut taking the fork tube off haha

as far as re-routing the brake line, i think its just a case of rotating them a few degrees, i posted some pics at the time on the forum last year- 
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

 


Recent Posts/Topics