Author Topic: airbagvest  (Read 3719 times)

Online Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Re: airbagvest
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2021, 01:34:41 PM
not too sure on the subscription ones TBH I'd rather just buy and forget. I wouldn't recommend wearing a rucksack. If the airbag is deploying and your straps are tight i guess you could cause some serious damage to your shoulders/back. If you want to risk it loose straps on the bag but then i'd just stick a topbox on or strap to the back!
"I'm a summertime boy"

Street Triple 765 RS, Daytona 675 Track Bike, Yamaha Tracer 900.

Online Ron1000

• Street Triple Master
  • City / Town: West Lothian
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:50 PM
Held and dainese do nice ones but do mention subscriptions. I’d have to do more research.

Not wearing a backpack isn’t really an option for me…a Ducati and a triumph, I take tools everywhere :001::001::001: and I’ve kind of became the group visor cleaner, general storage, equipment carry-abouter-guy…top boxes are out of the question for me unless commuting or touring.

I was thinking loose straps would have to be the compromise.
Ride and Destroy

Street Triple RS, Monster 1100 Evo, VFR800Fi (Donkey), R6 (Track Bike).

Offline stripleRS320

• Street Triple Member
  • Mid life crises
  • Bike: Street Triple RS 2020
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #32 on: March 09, 2021, 05:05:00 PM
I could not wear a back pack with my alpine stars ignition jacket.....it has a hump in it and is designed to house the hump in my tech air 5 vest. I’m going to use a kreiga 20 litre tail pack for my bits and bobs.

When I said tethered with the alpine stars stuff I was meaning that the race and street both plug into the leather jacket and the vests are always velcroed into the jacket. The tech air 5 is put on sep and the leather jacket over the top. You must wear a jacket over the tech air vests. There is not subscription but every two years it needs to be serviced and cleaned....it is not recommended to clean them! So they deep wash them at the two year point after removing the electronics. Crown kiwi enterprises here in NZ handles that. Nothing gets changed unless it’s required....after a deployment tho you are up for $500 kiwi.  :192: to clarify....tech air race and tech air street plug electrically into jacket and Velcro in. Tech air 5 cannot plug into nor Velcro into leather jacket....just put on....zip up...put Velcro “clasp” over which has a magnetic “switch in it” and that turns it on....it self tests a you walk to and get on your bike...when it shows a single green dot....she is ready to go off... Don’t be shy on the sizing...I’m not an alpine stars European shaped gazelle...I’m 5 ft 9” 85kg with just a little bit of loving around the middle...go up a size on everything. I do not get hot on the bike in summer...

The other air bag systems as we have heard are mechanically tethered to the bike and super cheap to re load.  :062:

Some other systems you pay a subscription to “loan” the electronic box and keep it going. Bugger that...or you can buy the box outright for the price of one of your grandchildren.  :230:

Seems like nothing is perfect and all are expensive. We think bugger all about putting shiny doo dads on our bikes to make them “chick pullers” in our eyes but then whacking on some jeans a leather jacket and some people even Samoan safety shoes...(jandals) and then look at the cost of potentially reducing injuries by up to 85% and go a bit cold. It was my first bit of kit.  :028:

Honestly I’d ditch the back pack....look for a good kreiga bag as you can remove them super quick and low and behold they become a shoulder bag for you. Your obviously not taking a pillion with the back pack. I’d rather do that than have loose straps on a back pack...my two cents on that one anyway. :028:
Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:13:56 PM by stripleRS320
Striplers320

Online Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2021, 05:13:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Ron1000 [+]
Held and dainese do nice ones but do mention subscriptions. I’d have to do more research.

Not wearing a backpack isn’t really an option for me…a Ducati and a triumph, I take tools everywhere :001::001::001: and I’ve kind of became the group visor cleaner, general storage, equipment carry-abouter-guy…top boxes are out of the question for me unless commuting or touring.

I was thinking loose straps would have to be the compromise.

As mentioned do your best to ditch the backpack! also make your friends carry stuff lol. I have a rock on the back of my RS Yh not the nicest thing but i dont look at it anyway. Gives you a good grab handle and a 30L kigra fits on perfect. Saves scratching the rear of the bike!  Even when doing a trackday and riding there id stap my bag/lock/chain/cover (if staying in hotel the night) and a folding chair no issues.
"I'm a summertime boy"

Street Triple 765 RS, Daytona 675 Track Bike, Yamaha Tracer 900.

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2021, 06:31:18 PM
About the subscriptions: There is a serious misunderstanding on the internet and It really shouldn't be the case if people had a good look. And even Ryan F9 made a mistake and he usually is very thorough. it puts a subscription system in a negative vibe without a reason.

In&Motion ( with Ixon, Held , furygan,fst,Klim ) is using a subscription But....That is positive and not the negative thing everyone is spreading around because it is a system that gives their clients a choice unlike other brands

First possibility : REGULAR (inbox buy) You buy it like every other system
Buy the vest ( choose your favorite brand out of the above ) and pay around 369€ for the vest ( I have the Ixon)
Buy the In&Motion subscription for life and pay another 399€ , go online, make an account and subscribe , pay and activate the box and forget ( for those that want that) So infact 768€ together and done ( for life) .
Your box will also be updated for life ( because of your account) without having to pay ever again. and you get 2 years warranty.

Second possibility REVOLUTION (inbox lease)
Buy the vest ( same as above) for 399€
Lease the In&Motion subscription for 120€/year AND after 3 years pay 99€ and become owner for life
If you lease you have extra support , such as unlimited warranty and more

And very important. They work as a community so everyone is sharing data and is getting all updates, so your system keeps up to date even after several years.
I am very pleased with the system using it over 2 years and getting updates and now even free support of the liberty rider app . If my airbag deploys, my In&Motion phoneapp will automatically call emergency services with GPS coordinats if I do not react within a certain timeframe.

About the backpack :
 This system is compatible with a backpack but the following rules apply and I quote their site

The total weight of the bag must not exceed 8kg,
    The use of support straps in the abdomen and chest is prohibited,
    The shoulder straps must not hinder the deployment of the airbag. When pulling the straps forward, there should be a distance of 10 cm between them and the front of the shoulder
The backpack must be worn on the back of the user’s body, with a compatible motorcycle jacket.

About pricing in general:
Of course the electronical airbags cost a lot more. With the tethered ones you have the simple hardware without any electronics , but more important without the ongoing updates and research to finetune the algorithms and get better,safer,faster.

Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:22:03 PM by gvy

Offline stripleRS320

• Street Triple Member
  • Mid life crises
Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 07:19:57 PM
Fair call GVY.

Hey just to play devils advocate. I have held gear in the past requiring support etc and the support has either been 1, superseded so you need to buy other stuff...2....gone from the market completely....3....no longer supported.
That does not mean this could not happen to my stuff either. :005:

I do like the idea data is shared as this gives a good database of ummm.....data.... :112: so products improve. Alpine stars also has had a lot of deployments and use the data saved to improve their product. It’s not live data tho so... :460:

One question though....if you don’t pay your subscription on time does the vest shut down or not arm?
Just asking.. :763:
Striplers320

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 07:29:00 PM
I don't know.... I am not the type that does not pay on time  :007:
If you are that type, just choose the buy option, like any other system and you will never know  :008:

tbh. I think it will not arm, you will notice directly, you can pay online with your phone and arm it straight on.... I think. It is how this works. But again just buy if you don't trust yourself on this.
I did lease on a yearly base because it has its benefits

Alpinestars does update.
Helite e turtle, I am not sure yet. I sent them a mail with the question, but they did not answer yet. I do know they had an unwanted deployment and that vest had to be sent back, so maybe they can not update algoritmes on line. But again, I asked them and I hope they will clear that out, because I find this important info for those that want to make a choice.

ABout Held. I have no experience with the brand but. You have 1. The vest and 2 The safetysystem including box with brain. Infact the second part is In&Motion and they work toghether with different brands. You will get the support from them and not HELD.
If you have a look at the different brands ( Ixon, Held,Furygan,RST ....) The system on the back including the backprotector with integrated removable box and canister is exactly the same and designed and sold by In&Motion. It is only the way the textile vests themselves that are designed by the brands and differ a bit .
Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:39:54 PM by gvy

Offline stripleRS320

• Street Triple Member
  • Mid life crises
Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 07:39:19 PM
 :762:
Yeah these subscriptions are not a big deal to be honest. I don’t trust myself though so when I was considering one I looked at the Buy the box option.

It came down for me to two good options and the cost was pretty neutral favouring the AS and the AS setup was supported well here. The base is less than 4 hours from home for servicing.  :028:

Either way I think they are both gr8 systems with advantages and disadvantages....but both will hopefully help save our asses if we need them. Better to wear one and never find out than not wear one and need it.  :430:

Striplers320

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 06:07:47 AM
Must remember the 2 year service and put in a reminder to myself.