Author Topic: Never too old to be excited by a new (old) bike!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
Re: Never too old to be excited by a new (old) bike!
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 10:01:35 AM
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Nice work, Branston ...... and a great opportunity to use quiet roads to "self isolate".  Let's face it, there's NO better way to be alone and 'socially distant' than in the saddle of a motorcycle on a nice sunny day.   :008:

I'm planning on getting the Street,  the Speed and maybe a Trident out in the next couple of weeks and hope to take the opportunity to put some miles on all of them if the fair weather holds! 

Stay safe and well!

Definitely a loner job at the moment, all the cafe, stops and meets on hold too  :019:

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 05:23:44 PM
On the plus side the roads are fabulously quiet round here ATM so had a proper blast today.

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 12:21:06 AM
So Adie, a Street and a Speed, and a Trident? Some garage there

Whenever I’ve considered a Street, twice now including the current one, the eye has been diverted too often towards a comparable Speed, so 2011 onwards. They look so good, close to a Street, same manufacturer, but somehow, a completely different look

They look a bit taller, fine by me, bulkier/heavier, not so, about the same price bracket, more torque, more . . . more ooooommmmppphhh, and the trump card, that single-sided rear swinging arm, sooooooo sexy. If my Street had that, I’d marry her and devote the rest of my existence to her continued happiness (Anyone ever put a single-sided on a Street?)

However, it’s the additional weight and bulk that’s always put me off, and how this affects general handling, and the ability to chuck it around willy-nilly, like you undoubtedly can with the Street. Did I want more oommpphh with what I perceive to be slightly inferior overall handling (Speed), or slightly less oommpphh but with top handling (Street)? For me, the Street won twice for the kind of roads I ride on, and riding I do

So if you do have both (Or anyone else), how do they compare, ignoring the website we’re all on? Love me Street, but still hanker for a fully-loaded Speed before the knees are not capable of holding one up, or a lime green Kwacker, never had one of them, or . . . . . .

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 10:25:08 AM
Speed is for ploughing fields ... Street is for getting there...simples  :007:

Note: Look into the cost of the single sided wheel bearing.....that will make your mind up  :008:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 11:09:14 AM
*Originally Posted by branston [+]
So Adie, a Street and a Speed, and a Trident? Some garage there

Whenever I’ve considered a Street, twice now including the current one, the eye has been diverted too often towards a comparable Speed, so 2011 onwards. They look so good, close to a Street, same manufacturer, but somehow, a completely different look

They look a bit taller, fine by me, bulkier/heavier, not so, about the same price bracket, more torque, more . . . more ooooommmmppphhh, and the trump card, that single-sided rear swinging arm, sooooooo sexy. If my Street had that, I’d marry her and devote the rest of my existence to her continued happiness (Anyone ever put a single-sided on a Street?)

However, it’s the additional weight and bulk that’s always put me off, and how this affects general handling, and the ability to chuck it around willy-nilly, like you undoubtedly can with the Street. Did I want more oommpphh with what I perceive to be slightly inferior overall handling (Speed), or slightly less oommpphh but with top handling (Street)? For me, the Street won twice for the kind of roads I ride on, and riding I do

So if you do have both (Or anyone else), how do they compare, ignoring the website we’re all on? Love me Street, but still hanker for a fully-loaded Speed before the knees are not capable of holding one up, or a lime green Kwacker, never had one of them, or . . . . . .

Hi Branston.  Quick reply, for the time being .... Soooooo busy with greenhouse destruction/construction!   :001:

Just for the purposes of clarity, I'm very much a product of my age - i.e. I'm old AND old-fashioned.  My SPEEDS (I own 2 but the missus isn't [yet] aware of the second one!) are T3's - a 1995 Black, and a 1996 Orange Mark One Speed Triple. 

They're light years away from their progenitors or, more accurately, namesake offspring.  The single sided swingarm, fuel injected, fire breathing monsters of the latest generation of Speedies would stomp on my old girls and disappear towards the vanishing point before I could pull the clutch and engage 1st gear with that familiar "THUNK" from the agricultural gearbox!   But I LOVE my old Mk 1's and, rather oddly, I much  prefer the symmetry of the old twin-spar swinging arms (see what I did there?), three into two pipes and twin upswept silencers!  In fact, one of the reasons I, personally, much prefer the gen 1. Street Triple is the twin, high level silencers!  And,  yes, I know - that makes ME the quirky one.

Like I said, a product of my age.   :008:

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 11:51:22 PM
Thanks Adie,

Can’t beat an Orange Triumph of any description . . .

I suspect Tomspurs summed up my thoughts, just in a lot fewer words to his credit. Still fancy one though, but it would be as well as, not instead of, which ain’t gonna happen in a million years

Whilst I own a gen 2 Street currently, it doesn’t stop me appreciating the qualities of the gen 1s, particularly the underseat exhausts (just corrected to “underwear” by my predictive typing), though my wife swore I always came back from a ride smelling more of exhaust than with any previous bike

Good luck with the greenhouse

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 11:29:25 PM

Had the side panels off today in a particularly intensive lockdown cleaning session, and found this “signature” inside. Just wondering if it’s the Triumph equivalent of Tadoa Baba occasionally and allegedly signing the inside of Fireblade fairings during his reign as chief designer, I need to know? Anyone know who “designed” the Street Triple anyway so I know what initials to look for?

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 12:17:50 AM
There were many designers involved in the Street Triple at Hinkley as Triumph like to look at every angle as they design, hence allsorts of people were involved. There are a few better known of these and I think this is one of them...a Dr Bert Bassett, was known to sign off the Sweet Street Triple panels that wrapped the superb frame  :821:

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 12:40:20 AM
LOL, very good Tomspurs. I could only think if Brian Blessed had any connection with Triumph, but you may have come up with a better answer

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 10:26:44 PM
I suppose it doesn't really matter who signed it off as long as it wasn't Billy Bodger  :192:    :211: :230: