Author Topic: Never too old to be excited by a new (old) bike!  (Read 3872 times)

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
Re: Never too old to be excited by a new (old) bike!
Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 11:17:23 PM
Lockdown has had many, many downsides, and continues to for many, but also opportunities. I bought the STR middle of last year, and decided to just ride her until winter, when I would use the lay off from riding to “bond” through lubing, cleaning, adjusting, polishing, etc. My way of getting to know what I’d spent my hard-earned on

Unfortunately, work, family, etc., decided otherwise, and suddenly it was Spring 2020, a decidedly mild Spring in this part of the world which only encouraged more riding. So, still no bonding . . .

Then came the strangest of times, lockdown, and in between all the myriad of jobs she found to, “keep me busy”, the opportunity to occasionally sneak off into the small sanctuary of garage not dedicated to her car to “bond” to my heart’s content

So, I’ve finally been able to catch up and:

-Dismantle, clean, polish, clean, polish and clean, and put back together again (Almost);
-Adjust and lube all controls to suit my gangly proportions;
-Fit the throttle tube and intake mods. Haven’t ridden her yet so don’t know what the results are like;
-Fit an R&G front fender extender. Not the best fit ever to the guard, one of the three rivets failed, so be prepared to be creative with adhesive and sealant. However, once on the bike, it’s a good fit and looks great;
-Fit HJC bar end mirrors. Never got in with the originals, so willing to give these a go. Not “Triumph” branded, but still good quality and reasonable to install, provided you trust that the middle-sized spacer is actually compatible with the bars. Look cockin’ fantastic on the bike, but haven’t ridden the results yet

Still left to do. Have the tank up for a clean and polish, and fit some Eazygrip side tank pads. My last bike came with them, and once you’ve had them, you realise how beneficial they are to your “core” control (I’ve watched some YouTube videos), plus there’s less chance of scuzzing up your tank with riding gear, but that’s secondary (Honest)

Time for a ride soon, but continuing to shield for a bit longer

Midstrip . . .

More midstrip . . .

Nice . . .

and practical too

They look the part . . .

but will they work?

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 09:11:56 AM
*Originally Posted by branston [+]

but will they work?

Hi Branston. Bike is looking squeaky clean - your hard work is paying off.

Regarding the mirrors.... give them time. I couldn't get used to them at first, but then suddenly they "worked" for me.  :028:

2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 11:04:56 PM
Hi Sabre,

Thanks for the comment. I hope it’s only the cleaning that’s squeaky as I’ve used enough lubricant everywhere to sink a battleship!

Your advice regarding the mirrors is noted, I’ve read the same elsewhere. Just sitting on the bike, they don’t look like they’re going to be brilliant, but we’ll see. The originals were the same for different reasons, but at least these look real cooooooool

Will advise in due course, stay safe

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #33 on: June 23, 2020, 12:00:07 AM
Recently . . . . . . A bit of riding no less for a change. Well, the weather’s been good, road’s reasonable, & the STR’s now more than ready

And the verdict on the bar end mirrors is . . . . . . . they’re actually ok so far. I’m still getting used to them, & thought they’d be too small, but no. They’re certainly no worse that the originals, probably better overall I think so far, but my god, they look so much better

I did, however, spend the first half of the journey regretting them as I soon grew to realise that they move with the bars, necessarily changing the view behind as you turn, but then spent the second half racking my brains to work out if the originals did that too . . . . . .

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 675 R
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 07:44:03 AM
Have you turned the mirrors round?   My bike came with similar ones and I couldn't get on with them at all - I couldn't get them in a position where I could see properly without looking at my gloves.  It was about 10 miles in when I realised they had been swivelled in for transport.  Turning them round was a complete transformation in rearview vision!  In your photo, it looks like they are swivelled in too.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:18:28 AM by twooo
Cheers, 2

Street Triple 675 R (ABS) 2014, Matte Graphite

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 09:03:27 AM
*Originally Posted by twooo [+]
Have you turned the mirrors round?   My bike came with similar ones and I couldn't get on with them at all - I couldn't get them in a position where I could see properly without looking at my gloves.  It was about 10 miles in when I realised they had been swivelled in for transport.  Turning them round was a complete transformation in rearview vision!  In your photo, it looks like they are swivelled in too.

Yes I use mine "swiveled out" as well. I have no idea which way they were intended to be used, I've seen promo shots of the mirrors in both positions and have also seen them being used both ways. However, "out" is the way mine were originally fitted and this is where they have stayed.  :002:

Steve.
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:09:43 AM by sabre
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #36 on: June 23, 2020, 09:31:47 PM
I have the same mirrors on my bike. They are swivelled out most of the time, giving me an excellent view . Nothing to complain.
I can turn them in if the bike is used in citytraffic or when lanesplitting, but that isn't needed often. Anyway, turning them over almost always leave them in correct position.
I did cut me a rubber ring to mount them on the bars. Perfect for a good grip and also I never ever have any vibration in the rearview

SAM_1176 by gvygvy, on Flickr
Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:33:27 PM by gvy

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #37 on: June 24, 2020, 12:11:51 AM
Ha ha, three of you probably can’t be totally wrong. Never even occurred to me to put them the other way round, just seemed logical to keep them as narrow as possible. This rider is close to requiring a “Wide Load” warning, so didn’t want to extend that to the bike as well . . .

As they stand now, I just get a glimpse of arm on the inside of each, no gloves, and plenty of rear view, but I will try them the other way round to see if you three wise men are indeed wise. Also a good idea for the rubber insert, although to date, no significant vibration

Pretty pleased with them all round, but will post a final verdict on “in” or “out”, sounds like a thread on belly buttons

Offline branston

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #38 on: August 07, 2020, 11:36:02 PM

Oooerrr, excited!?!?!?!

By the way, on the bar end mirrors front, I’m personally happier with the views behind when they’re inwards, rather than outwards. There’s also something psychological to me about going into gaps with them wider than they need to be which I don’t like, hence the preference for inwards. Stooopid, but then lots of things are 90% mental or psychological in order to be any good, aren’t they?

scandal-fat