Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear shock life  (Read 485 times)

Offline kev99

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Rear shock life
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:57:14 PM »
I have a 2011 Street Triple R with 11k miles on the clock, owned since new, and I'm finding the suspension has got really harsh over the last few months.  It's a pretty jarring ride on most roads that aren't perfectly smooth, and larger bumps will actually snap my head back.

Settings on the rear are half way between normal and sport according to the manual, and they've been set like that pretty much since I've had the bike, and it's never felt as harsh as this.

How do you tell if the rear shock needs replacing?  And if it's had it, is it rebuildable, or do I just need to swap it out for an aftermarket one?
You only ever need 2 tools in your toolbox; WD40 and gaffer tape.  If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD40.  If it does move and it's not supposed to, use the gaffer tape.

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: Rear shock life
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
Its harsh due to a combination of a rising rate linkage and OE shock that is built to a price. You also don't say how much you weigh which can be another factor - "comfort" setting only changes damping so a stiff spring is still just as stiff.

Change the linkage and shock if you want a decent ride.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
...just to say that there are other moving parts on the rear suspension involved, not just the rear shock itself  :007:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »
Has your rear suspension link ever been cleaned & re greased ? I would set your rear shock softer for road riding. 11.000 miles isnt many miles for a rear shock.i wouldnt waste your time or money on rebuilding the shock as they a poor just buy a decent after market one.

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:03:36 AM »
As above when you have the shock out check and grease the bearings .

Local Ktech guy told me the R has a quite reasonable quality shock but with 2 problems.

1. A 12kg spring which is insane.  Swapped it for a 9.8 (from a ZX10 just to show diff).

2. As a result the valving for silly spring is wacko.

Revalve to Ktech specs and a softer spring was a major improvement.  I'm 85kg and we sport ride back roads.  Rode a mate's Street R and was reminded of how bad it was before.  Best money I've spent and (much) less than a new shock.  I'm an 50,000km and still premo. 

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
...just to say that there are other moving parts on the rear suspension involved, not just the rear shock itself  :007:

:461: Check & re-grease all linkages & also check & re-grease your swing arm pivot. My money is on the swing arm pivot being dry.  :038:

Steve.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline kev99

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by sabre [+]
:461: Check & re-grease all linkages & also check & re-grease your swing arm pivot. My money is on the swing arm pivot being dry.  :038:

Steve.

That sounds worthwhile doing and certainly cheaper than a new shock.  I've been perfectly happy with the set up from new, its only recently that it seems to have got harsher.  Thanks.
You only ever need 2 tools in your toolbox; WD40 and gaffer tape.  If it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD40.  If it does move and it's not supposed to, use the gaffer tape.

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »
The best you know is the best you've ridden.

Mine seemed fine at first but the stutter bumps and freeway expansion joints told another story. 

Recent Posts/Topics