Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice for a newbie please....  (Read 262 times)

Offline girlrider

• Topic Author
  • Bike: F700GS
  • City / Town: Bristol
Advice for a newbie please....
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »
Hi all, new rider here, just got my full licence so now it's time to stop lurking and join in!

My instructor told me to buy a few essentials for the bike. I'm going to be going touring and looking at buying a few essentials. I need a bit of advice on puncture repair kits. Have any of you used the one recommended in this guide? https://bikerrated.com/gear/maintenance/best-motorcycle-puncture-repair-kits/ - From what I can gather, they don't make run-flat tyres for bikes yet!  :038:

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: Advice for a newbie please....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:08:25 PM »
I've got one like the gremlin but haven't used it yet. I also bought a generic set for a van from eBay because is came with several thicknesses of sticky string. It was only a fiver I think. If you have space, maybe have a couple of extra bottles. This also came with a mini set of folding pliers to get out the foreign object from the tyre. This can be surprisingly difficult (I once got an Allen key fully embedded in a rear tyre and had to use big pliers to tease it out!)

For spare CO2 bottles keep an eye on the Planet X website (pedal bikes). They periodically discount them to about 50 or 60p.

I'd recommend practising inflating a tyre with a few bottles of CO2 (I know it's a waste) to get the hang of the little inflator thingy. The first time I used one on my bicycle I made a complete mess of it! It wouldn't hurt to know how many bottles get a tyre up to a reasonable pressure (unless you carry a tyre pressure gauge).

As an aside, since you mention touring... If you use the peages toll roads in France, the RAC will not come out to you if you breakdown. You have to get yourself off the toll road onto a public road. The toll roads are considered private apparently. Chuffing annoying when it happens to you! Hence why I now carry a repair kit in the car as well as on the bike!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:10:12 PM by OuzoStreet »

Online morebeanz

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Guildford
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »
The packs that I've seen seem to carry two or three canisters which will only inflate to 5-10 psi, which seems dangerously low to me.

Has anyone actually used one, and can confirm whether they inflate to a useful pressure? I'm not talking about a Harley rear tyre either!
I don't just count beans, I also understand the commercial significance of beans!

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
5 PSI? Did you have a leak somewhere (excluding the puncture I mean, lol)? For what it's worth I carry five. Also, don't forget there are different sizes of small cartridges, 12g and 16g. Definitely go for the bigger ones, or at least carry a small bicycle pump in a side pocket of a seat bag to start the tyre off... Bicycle pumps are a pain but I once used one to get enough pressure to seat a 190/55 tyre back onto the bead of a rim, which was a very slooooow process!

Offline Joe Public

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
I've used the gear gremlin on my zx 6 tyre and on my car.
It's still on my car not got around to fixing it 10 months later.....

Sent from my QUEST using Tapatalk

Online andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:08:08 PM »
5 canisters got me to 20psi on my speed last week. Enough to get you to a garage I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Red

• Street Triple God
  • Carpe diem (na Kaapstad en terug)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
I put the slime in first, then dont carry anything unless on a tour and take a can of tyre weld, but noramlly for others.

One day I will get a reamer and bits with canisters, but not for now when free slime with tyres

:305: :305: :305:
"Not just today"
"Vos es meus optimus amicus"
"We can't change the weather, only enjoy the challenges it brings."
"When the road gets rough, who needs tarmac? ;-)  X"
"Team Red Tours are go!"
"O" roads for the adventure
"Being quick is not about going fast,its about being slower less often"

Offline Joe Public

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
Never really got much pressure on 3  CO2 bulbs so when I go over 50 miles I take a mini compressor like the car's have. But my air man's s bit smaller you need a 12 volt power plug thought

Sent from my QUEST using Tapatalk

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »
Hi and welcome! I would definitely recommend the kits similar to the gear gremlin one, which have sticky string and the associated tools and CO2. Over the last 200,000 miles I've only had a handful of punctures, but found that other plug shapes such as the Rema TipTop 'doughnuts' or thin rubber wedges are a total nightmare. The sticky string is much quicker, easier and more reliable, and I even used it in the car once (although I had to jack the car up and lower it onto the spike to get it in - big car tyres are not as soft as bike rubber!!) You're not supposed to go very far or fast on a plugged tyre, (and I'm not condoning or advising this) but both my mate and I have used the string repairs and continued to tour Europe including motorway to the end of the tyres' wear limit without issue. Would probably fail an MoT though...? I've also had Z rated tyres professionally repaired from the inside with the proper big patch-plugs that tyre places used to fit. They won't generally do it now though due to it not being recommended (legal liability?) Tyre manufacturers now mould ribs onto the inside of the Z rated bike tyres specifically to make it difficult to use such repairs.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:10:14 PM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat