Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 675 with 765 suspension- possible issue??  (Read 242 times)

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Sparkly Edition
  • City / Town: London
675 with 765 suspension- possible issue??
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:09:18 AM »
Some of you may remember earlier in the year i swapped the rear shock on my standard street 675 triple to one from the 765rs, it lowers the ride height, which was perfect for my shorty legs, it works very well, but ive noticed an ABS issue, it may have something to do with the modified suspension, then again it may have absolutely nothing to do with it, the error is
'P0500- Road speed sensor, circuit malfunction/ABS speed signal error'

my initial thought was obviously with the abs speed sensors, maybe they need cleaning, or a problem with the connection, but ive noticed that if i soften the preload and rebound on the rear shock the ABS light come ON much more, like every 20 minutes whilst riding around, where as when the suspension is stiffer the abs light/error may come on once or twice a week,

cut a long story short- is it possible to have this abs problem with my modified suspension?

thanks for any help,
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: 675 with 765 suspension- possible issue??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
If you had changed the wheel to a different size I could see it upsetting the ABS but as this is standard I doubt the shock change would cause the issue (I stand to be corrected on this).

the error  P0500- Road speed sensor, circuit malfunction/ABS speed signal error  seems to me to point to an electrical connection error, could you have damaged some wiring when you changed the shock?

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Green_Ninja [+]
If you had changed the wheel to a different size I could see it upsetting the ABS but as this is standard I doubt the shock change would cause the issue (I stand to be corrected on this).

the error  P0500- Road speed sensor, circuit malfunction/ABS speed signal error  seems to me to point to an electrical connection error, could you have damaged some wiring when you changed the shock?

hey Ninja, well to be honest ive had the tank and wheel off a few times since i did the suspension change, but i just wanted to get some thoughts on this as i cant understand how the abs would be upset from suspension change either-

i've read that there is a minimum/maximum air gap between the abs sensor and the ring, il try and chack all that

thanks

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
Why not put the old rear shock back on that way you will know for certain if the change in shock is to blame also take the sensor off front and rear and give them a good clean good luck.

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by shaun [+]
Why not put the old rear shock back on that way you will know for certain if the change in shock is to blame also take the sensor off front and rear and give them a good clean good luck.

haha yeah i could do that, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:25 PM »
If the shorter shock is an issue perhaps you could raise the ride height? For my 2009R you can buy a 5mm washer from Triumph that sits on top of the "fork" that holds the top of the shock and then bolts to the frame. The part number will be on Fowler's website. If course, I know you like having the lower seat height but you could try it if refitting the old shock makes the problem go away. The washer is cheap enough.

Offline bazzer

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
I honestly can't see why it would cause an ABS issue. I would be looking for a connector not plugged in fully, chaffed wire or some damage to the senor.

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
im trying to work out when the abs light comes on, maybe under certain circumstances/conditions, before i go and swap it out for the old one to test-
got some feeler gauges being delivered as well, + will be checking under the tank for connections and abs wires, il keep you all updated, but any more thoughts most welcome- cheers

Recent Posts/Topics