Author Topic: LED Indicators  (Read 814 times)

Offline bert682

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Belfast
LED Indicators
on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:17 PM
Hi All

Im sure this has been asked 1000 times but I was not able to find anything on the search (dont seem to be able to limit to forum section).

Planning to fit some LED Indicators to my 2015 Street Triple R but rather than adding some plug a play ones I want to change the position somewhat so will be splicing wires.  Ideally id like to ensure I can get the wiring correct before commiting to fitment and so the plan is;

Simple!

My questions;

If I install the LED Relay, will non led (standard currently installed) bulbs still work?  The bulbs I plan to use are somewhat expensive so ordering 1 and testing before buying the set is ideal. 

If not, would there also be issue adding one of the new led bulbs as a test, there isnt some series wiring going on with bulbs?  I suspect not but not 100% on how LED will impact things, if at all.

Thanks
Rob

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: LED Indicators
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:36:36 PM
Standard indicator bulbs are 12v same as led indicators. The led ones draw minimal current so no issues with adding one or two across the same supply as the standard bulbs IMHO.

I'm fairly sure led compatible relays also work with standard bulbs, but check the current rating compared to what the standard indicator bulbs draw.

Offline bert682

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 04:06:46 PM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
Standard indicator bulbs are 12v same as led indicators. The led ones draw minimal current so no issues with adding one or two across the same supply as the standard bulbs IMHO.

I'm fairly sure led compatible relays also work with standard bulbs, but check the current rating compared to what the standard indicator bulbs draw.

Thanks for this!

Just thought id update incase anyone else finds themseleves looking for this.

Can confirm that the Relay will work with the standard bulbs, so able to test the wiring and all before taking off the originals.

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
Hi Rob, there's another recent post (I've seen it in the last few days) by someone who has used an LED relay/flasher unit with standard bulbs and it is looking as though the standard bulbs have, over time, damaged the LED relay - probably by drawing too much current & eventually the flasher unit has given up (overloaded/burnt out).

Fact is standard (incandescent) bulbs draw plenty more current than LEDs. If this wasn't an issue, then Triumph probably wouldn't go to the trouble of 2 different relay/flasher units.  :027:

An LED relay/flasher unit may work with standard bulbs for a while, but the high current draw is likely to shorten the life of the unit

Steve.

Ps. I'm not talking through personal experience - just a little bit of electrical/electronics knowledge and seeing what has happened to others.  :038:
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline bert682

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 07:31:12 PM
*Originally Posted by sabre [+]
Hi Rob, there's another recent post (I've seen it in the last few days) by someone who has used an LED relay/flasher unit with standard bulbs and it is looking as though the standard bulbs have, over time, damaged the LED relay - probably by drawing too much current & eventually the flasher unit has given up (overloaded/burnt out).

Fact is standard (incandescent) bulbs draw plenty more current than LEDs. If this wasn't an issue, then Triumph probably wouldn't go to the trouble of 2 different relay/flasher units.  :027:

An LED relay/flasher unit may work with standard bulbs for a while, but the high current draw is likely to shorten the life of the unit

Steve.

Ps. I'm not talking through personal experience - just a little bit of electrical/electronics knowledge and seeing what has happened to others.  :038:

That makes sense and something I didnt think of, thanks Steve!

The plan was always to fit LEDs, just wanted to test the relay.  I guess all the documentation confused me more than it needed to, its actually a very straightforward swap!

Initially I was planning to use an Integrated Tail, Brake and Indicator housing however given the rules around spacing of indicators its not worth the risk legally and someone driving straight into the back of me at a junction not seeing the signal.

Does anyone have any suggestions around rear LED Indications?  Would like something more discreet than stock.  I had (still am) considered a pair of https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOGADGET-M-BLAZE-PIN-ULTRA-BRIGHT-MINI-LED-INDICATOR-BLACK/223341717568 and going into the plastic a little.  Or simply, getting some lower profile lights, https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Triumph/Street_Triple_675_R/2015/RG372/

Has anyone fitted something like these and could upload a few photos?

Thanks
Rob

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 02:13:51 PM
There are lots of different ones available but I'd want to be sure the more discreet i.e. smaller ones are super bright for sure. As you say, you don't really want some muppet rear ending you because they're not noticeable. I have the integrated rear light /indicator tail unit with seperate indicators as well - the more flashing things the better IMHO - and still ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

scandal-fat