Author Topic: International Trackday - Advice needed  (Read 304 times)

Offline Santozini

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
International Trackday - Advice needed
on: December 13, 2019, 02:59:54 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking about doing an international trackday this spring, probably in Portugal or Spain but I have a million questions...

Could someone share their experiences with these kind of trackdays? I am mostly interested in knowing:

Where did you book it?
What was included (bike transportation - how convenient is it?) Can you get it from London?  :002:
Did you book flights separately?
Prices
Dos and Don'ts
Overall thoughts

Thanks!

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: International Trackday - Advice needed
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 03:13:35 PM
Hey Santozini,

To answer some of your questions from my own perspective:

Where did you book it?
My first Euro trip I booked with Track Sense. Their not the cheapest company out there, but it was a great crowd and well run event and continued to use them for a good 4 years after my first trip. Focused Events have a lease at the Almeria circuit in Spain, and also run other Euros, and are better on price. Experience can vary with them as does the crowd who go, but I've used them a few times with very few issues.

What was included (bike transportation - how convenient is it?) Can you get it from London?  :002:

Bike, spares and kit transportation is all included in the price. Drop off locations vary, for Track Sense the main depot is in Sandy, Bedfordshire, and Focused is in Pullborough, so a couple of hours from London, no issues.

Did you book flights separately?
The packages usually include bike/kit transportation, the track day itself, shared accomodation (2 people to a room, you can hire the room for yourself at extra cost) with breakfast included. The rest is all down to you, so flights, lunch/dinner, petrol, insurance for the track etc.

Prices
Check the websites of the respective companies.

Dos and Don'ts
Do have fun.
If you can afford tuition, it's worth it.
Don't take it too seriously.
Take spare tyres and the usual bike spares in case you have an off and need to get back on track. although spares are sometimes available depending on the circuit you're at and the support.
Enjoy the overall experience.

Overall thoughts
Very subjective, but in my opinion, depends on your level of track riding experience, who you're going with and if you're going for some fun or to get better and improve your track riding. I've loved every trip I made out there over the past few years, but haven't been in just over a year and do miss it. Try it once, it's definetly better value than UK days with all the heroes and unpredictable weather. If you don't like it, you don't have to go again.

Offline Santozini

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:57:34 PM
Thanks a lot Kam, very informative!

I think I have made up my mind and want to do Portimao this coming spring but Track Sense don't do Portugal...Do you happen to know of someone else that does?

Also, I'm not sure if it is possible or not but ideally I would go for a 3 day track time but would spend a week and enjoy some days off too. Is this at all possible? I am thinking more in terms of bike transportation...can i choose specific dates or is it bound to the days of the track day package?

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Surrey
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:45:10 PM
Try No Limits or Focused Events for Portimao. Bike drop off and return dates are usually fixed based on the event dates, but you can book extra days in the hotel through the event organiser either side of the bike event if you want to stay a few extra days, I've done it loads of times without issue. Enjoy it, 3 days at a euro track are awesome

Check the weather for Portimao ahead of time, it can be wet there at certain times of the year so take some wet tyres or wets on wheels so you don't lose any track time of its raining. Or just go sit in the bar and chill out!