Author Topic: Electrical gremlins!  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Re: Electrical gremlins!
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 11:46:45 AM
i tend to use all balls seals. just be very careful when installing them anything sharp could cause a leak. also never allow the new seals to drop to the bottom of the fork by the brakes this area is normally quite rough as bits hit them. just make sure the fork legs are clean and smooth. wrap something around the inner of the fork seal to create protection against the fork leg as you slide it on this will stop anything catching the seal ad lots of lube for this to prevent scratching. Also make sure the seals are fully home. you can make your own seal driver but i recommend just buying one. They are cheap and as you are only likely to change them a few times ever you don't need a premium one.

TBH if it has started leaking after 20mins was likely damaged during install or just a bad seal. Are your fork legs pitted? even if they feel smooth if there is a tiny lip could rub against the seal.Check the whole leg as you would only fully compress when out for a ride.

Watch "delboys garage USD fork seal replacement" video on youtube good advice on there.

Hope this helps!
"I'm a summertime boy"

Offline TommisBoo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 11:56:45 AM
*Originally Posted by Gary-401 [+]
i tend to use all balls seals. just be very careful when installing them anything sharp could cause a leak. also never allow the new seals to drop to the bottom of the fork by the brakes this area is normally quite rough as bits hit them. just make sure the fork legs are clean and smooth. wrap something around the inner of the fork seal to create protection against the fork leg as you slide it on this will stop anything catching the seal ad lots of lube for this to prevent scratching. Also make sure the seals are fully home. you can make your own seal driver but i recommend just buying one. They are cheap and as you are only likely to change them a few times ever you don't need a premium one.

TBH if it has started leaking after 20mins was likely damaged during install or just a bad seal. Are your fork legs pitted? even if they feel smooth if there is a tiny lip could rub against the seal.Check the whole leg as you would only fully compress when out for a ride.

Watch "delboys garage USD fork seal replacement" video on youtube good advice on there.

Hope this helps!

Legs looked smooth, my mate inspected them. Had no doubts that they are good.

But we had a bit of a struggle to put right seal in, it just didnt want to go in, and i think he used smth bit sharp. And i didnt had new dust seals, so we used old ones ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 01:30:47 PM
Ahh i see yh i know it costs more but i do the dust seals too. firstly why not I'm there and in case they have failed. Anyway good luck and hope 2nd times the charm!!
"I'm a summertime boy"

Offline TommisBoo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 01:33:56 PM
Ahh i see yh i know it costs more but i do the dust seals too. firstly why not I'm there and in case they have failed. Anyway good luck and hope 2nd times the charm!!

Couldnít get them on a short notice, and was eager to ride asap, so didnt get them.

Stoooopid pays twice.

Hopefully iíll get it done properly this time

Cheers

Offline TommisBoo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 03:37:49 PM
Big update! Seals done, again!
Sunday ride lovely day. All is good in the world,
Rear hugger is in, carbon looks amazing!

On the way home started smelling weird and out of nowhere all the bangs and crackles from exhaust. I was like i love them noises.
But the smell was bad after 3 minutes. Stoped. Checked. Battery boiling.....

I think itís time to scrap it....i dont think it likes me....

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 09:14:31 AM
OHH no!!!

Never give up!

Thats deffo odd. You might have a grounding or arching issue. If power is being sapped very quickly the reg/rec will work overtime trying to restore it with the whole charging system working overtime it heats up and batteries tent to swell up.

Might be worth stripping her down. main areas that go are cables near the steering components as they always move. check the items that connect up too could be some pins arching. (would explain a smell) was it a burning smell? like plastic melting?

If you are thinking about getting rid of it might as well give it ago. don't think you can make it worse.
I have electrical issues!!! Prefer mechanical........ or non at all!!!

Sucks to hear this hope its a simple fix!
"I'm a summertime boy"

Offline TommisBoo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 09:18:34 AM
OHH no!!!

Never give up!

Thats deffo odd. You might have a grounding or arching issue. If power is being sapped very quickly the reg/rec will work overtime trying to restore it with the whole charging system working overtime it heats up and batteries tent to swell up.

Might be worth stripping her down. main areas that go are cables near the steering components as they always move. check the items that connect up too could be some pins arching. (would explain a smell) was it a burning smell? like plastic melting?

If you are thinking about getting rid of it might as well give it ago. don't think you can make it worse.
I have electrical issues!!! Prefer mechanical........ or non at all!!!

Sucks to hear this hope its a simple fix!

Good morning. Smell was the battery boiling.
Im going on a short ski trip soon, so maybe fresh air will bring some ideas what to do with it. :) was looking at the 2008 speed triple.... but my thoughts are that i might get same issues, cos its even older bike than mine....

Offline TommisBoo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 04:38:51 PM
So it was rectifier Again.....
Lads swapped it FOC. Fair play to them ;)
But still need to find out why this keep happening ;)
Got an offer from them trade STR witth 1500Ä on top and get 2007 speed triple....
Dont think 07 speed is worth that....

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 09:35:40 PM
07 Speed triple is an old tractor ..... you;d only end up selling it, as long as you could find a buyer, which is the hard part  :007:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 12:08:59 AM
At a minimum put an LED charge indicator on your dash. On Evilbay for not much ready to plug in.  Will alert you if voltage goes astray. 

I'd be looking at every connector and wire from battery to stator and rectifier as well as earth at starter solenoid,  for corrosion or damage to cable. There aren't many.

I preemptively fitted a Sh847 rectifier module (search my thread) so I have the original as a spare but none of my mates have had any trouble with streets. But we dont get salt on our roads.  Maybe that's a thing.

scandal-fat