Author Topic: STR 09 Gear lever bush  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Matte Mike

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 Striple R
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: STR 09 Gear lever bush
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 08:11:05 PM
I have a 2014 model.
It has only done 7k but Ive noticed there is a lot of side to side play in the same location.
I am wondering if it is worth replacing that bush too.
For the sake of 3 its got to be worth a shot.

Offline deej

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: STR 2008
  • City / Town: Norfolk
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 12:53:32 PM
Just ordered one, they are going to wonder why they're getting so many orders for this little bush !!

Thanks for the info and the link.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 12:50:20 PM
Ordered one as well.

That will pass one day of the months in isolation!

Offline n.w.den

• Street Triple Master
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 07:33:34 PM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
Ordered one as well.

That will pass one day of the months in isolation!

once fitted,do let us know if it improves the gearchanges

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 07:39:48 PM
*Originally Posted by n.w.den [+]
once fitted,do let us know if it improves the gearchanges

How exactly did you swap the bush on yours? I'm just looking for hints on how hard it was to actually remove/replace.

Does the lever arm need heating?

Offline n.w.den

• Street Triple Master
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:09 PM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
How exactly did you swap the bush on yours? I'm just looking for hints on how hard it was to actually remove/replace.

Does the
 lever arm need heating?

No heat required,as it's just an ally split DU bush...
once the gear lever was removed from the bike,I used a socket with outside dia. just under 14mm to push out the old bush with slight hammer force.
Fitting the new one I used a long  12mm  socket head cap screw, lightly greased the new bush on the outside,inserted the new bush into the socket screw all the way,insert the socket screw into the gear lever and position it until you're happy that its fairly square, and then gently tap the socket part of the screw to insert the bush.
remove the socket screw,grease the inside of bush which is now firmly fitted into the gear lever and you're ready to refit it to the bike.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 12:45:59 PM
Ta for that - I took it apart and experimented with a socket that just fitted to push it out, using a larger piece on other side and bolt to wind it out which worked easily. Put it all back together and tucked the bike away then Sod's Law the postie arrived with the new bush! I noticed the lever had some sideways play as well so made a very thin plastic washer from an empty milk container to reduce that to zero. CBA to fit the new bush today so will do it tomo and post pics.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 07:07:53 PM
Fitted it and there is no play at all in any direction, and the lever is still easy to move. Test ride . .  who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks if I use it for work. Picture below of the extractor using a cap head bolt and washer, socket and spanner - make sure there's clearance round the spanner for the bush to exit. It needs very little effort to move it so if it feels tight then check sizes and clearances are OK.  After pulling it out a bit I gently drifted it the rest the way with another appropriate sized socket that just fit the hole. Use wood to protect the lever otherwise it will mark easily. I then used the same bolt to pull the new one in to start it, and then gently tapped it in fully.

So the slight gotcha was that the internal face of the bush was coated with a yellow plastic. This made it too tight on the pivot bolt - I emailed the supplier who said "it is a co-acetal polymer and acts as lubrication between the shaft and bush" which is fine but it's too thick! I gently removed enough to enable the pedal to move freely using the sharp edge of a flat screwdriver - bit tricky but now it moves without jamming and without any play. Bit disappointed in having to bodge it TBH but happy with the result ATM, a test ride will confirm.

Offline Goose2000

• Topic Author
  • Bike: STR 2009
  • City / Town: Earl Shilton
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:20 AM
I looked at this the other day, gear lever off, pressed out the bush using two different size sockets, straight forward actually. Me and my daughter did it (homeschooling GCSE engineering!). I took some pictures and will up load later.

Results though, still the same amount of play laterally once reassembled... I used the co-acetal polymer inner type bush good fit pressed in.
So potentially the shaft/pin is worn instead? Item 10 (T3331614) I'd be surprised if that has worn though, I reckon that is a steel component.

May have to make up a thin washer like tim.8061 suggested.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 08:40:59 AM
I wonder how accurate the thickness of the polymer coating is TBH. I had to press the bolt through the  lever and that removed some of the polymer, but it was still really stiff to move and obviously not going to work like that. I tried lube and lots of spinning it, but had to gently scrape more of the polymer out to get it it move freely. The thin plastic washer definitely helped take away a lot of play as well.