Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Smoke coming from engine bay - Recent battery change to Lithium  (Read 252 times)

Online devilishbrains

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2008 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Sydney
Hello from Sydney, Australia,

Hope I have posted this in the correct forum sub-topic, but feel free to move it to the appropriate sub-topic.

I have a 2008 Street Triple which has done around 45000 kms. I have been the owner of this bike for just over a year and it has been mostly trouble free.

Recently, the battery that was in the bike (Yuasa YTX9-BS) seemed a little weak and I had to use my portable charger a couple of times to start the bike, so I thought it was time for a new battery. I managed to get a Lithium battery at a good price which is meant to be a direct replacement for the Yuasa. The Lithium batter is a SSB Powersport Lithium UltraLite (LFP14H-BS)

I got the battery delivered last week on Monday evening, 16th March. I installed the battery that night and started the bike and all seemed good. I then went to work (Roughly 7kms each way) on Tuesday and Wednesday and it ran great.

Due to the Covid-19 issue, we were asked to work from home until further notice. So the bike was unused for a couple of days. Then on Sunday, I was going to run some errands, but when I inserted the key, the display was blank and there was no way to start the bike.

I then inserted my old Yuasa back in and started it, the bike started without any trouble, however I noticed that there was some smoke appearing from the engine bay on the right hand (Throttle) side. I was unable to find a source for this smoke and just to be safe, I shut down the bike.

When I checked the voltage of the lithium battery, it was only reading at 8.4v which to me seems very low for a lithium battery and the only accessory I have on my bike is a mobile charger which is directly connected to the battery, so unless a device is connected, there should not be any loss of power.

I have also done some checks using a voltmeter and my old battery, below are the details -

Battery voltage - 12.55
Key on - 11.98
Idle - 12.37
5k rpm - 13.05

I have attached a video of the smoke appearing, hope you can see it.

Below are the questions that I hope you experts might help me resolve -

1) What could be the source of this smoke? I am unable to smell anything burning
2) Could this be caused by the usage of a lithium battery?

Thank you in advance for your help.  :002

TLDR - Installed a Lithium battery, battery was flat after 4 days, installed old battery in and noticed smoke coming from near the engine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 03:32:05 AM by devilishbrains »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: Smoke coming from engine bay - Recent battery change to Lithium
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
That might be where the leads from the stator plug into the lead from the regulator rectifier.

Either way, the voltage you have at the battery at idle is too low. It should be 14 volts plus or minus half a volt, so you have a charging problem.

Next you need to measure the AC voltage coming out of the stator. There's a description on here somewhere. Basically unplug the lead with three wires from the side of the regulator rectifier and measure the AC voltage between pins 1&2, 2&3 and 3&1. Each should be the same and I think each should be about 30 volts. Please check in the manual for the figures as I'm saying that from memory.

Online devilishbrains

• Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
That might be where the leads from the stator plug into the lead from the regulator rectifier.

Either way, the voltage you have at the battery at idle is too low. It should be 14 volts plus or minus half a volt, so you have a charging problem.

Next you need to measure the AC voltage coming out of the stator. There's a description on here somewhere. Basically unplug the lead with three wires from the side of the regulator rectifier and measure the AC voltage between pins 1&2, 2&3 and 3&1. Each should be the same and I think each should be about 30 volts. Please check in the manual for the figures as I'm saying that from memory.
Thanks for the tips. Will check it out tomorrow. I will post an update.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:08:36 AM »
I have seen posts that suggest that the plug between the stator & the reg rec can get hot and partially melt under certain circumstances? May be worth a look here first?
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
I agree 100% I don't think my post was very clear, oops.

I also forgot to ask if the regulator/rectifier recall had been done....

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 04:14:00 PM »
Something is fried in the charging circuit. Here's how to test
https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

BTW lithium batteries have lower capacity than lead acid so go flat quicker, and ISTR you can't recover them if the cells go totally flat.

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 09 Street Triple 675
  • City / Town: London/Alps
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:08:32 AM »
Those voltage figures look low and may indicate the Regulator/rectifier is on its way out.

That in turn would be the reason why the lithium battery drained. So it may just need recharging - but use a lithium battery charger (most normal ones are potentially dangerous to use with a lithium battery).

A faulty RR was a fairly common fault with early Street Triples indeed Triumph even got around to issuing a free recall and my ancient 2007 was done for free last year when it was in for its service by a dealer in Switzerland.  So it seems the free recall is still available.

So before diving in trying to fix things yourself, it might be worth a call to a Triumph dealership.  With your VIN they will be able to tell if the RR recall is outstanding.  You never know they may fix the problem for free.

Good luck - let us know how you get on,

Online devilishbrains

• Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:40:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
I agree 100% I don't think my post was very clear, oops.

I also forgot to ask if the regulator/rectifier recall had been done....
Thanks I'll first investigate if the regulator/rectifier has been replaced or not. If not, I'll then begin my investigation.
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
Something is fried in the charging circuit. Here's how to test
https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

BTW lithium batteries have lower capacity than lead acid so go flat quicker, and ISTR you can't recover them if the cells go totally flat.
Cheers, that's a very useful resource. I thought I'll give the lithium battery a go as I got for it a decent price. But I'll check if it still drains after charging it.
*Originally Posted by MeLostNever [+]
Those voltage figures look low and may indicate the Regulator/rectifier is on its way out.

That in turn would be the reason why the lithium battery drained. So it may just need recharging - but use a lithium battery charger (most normal ones are potentially dangerous to use with a lithium battery).

A faulty RR was a fairly common fault with early Street Triples indeed Triumph even got around to issuing a free recall and my ancient 2007 was done for free last year when it was in for its service by a dealer in Switzerland.  So it seems the free recall is still available.

So before diving in trying to fix things yourself, it might be worth a call to a Triumph dealership.  With your VIN they will be able to tell if the RR recall is outstanding.  You never know they may fix the problem for free.

Good luck - let us know how you get on,
Thanks for the reply. That's great to know that you got it replaced just recently. Yup I've ordered a lithium battery charger and should arrive in the next couple of days. I'll charge the battery completely and then check if it still drains so rapidly.

Will check with Triumph tomorrow if my bike has had it replaced under the recall.

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
FYI the intermal discharge of a lithium battery is negligible so if you disconnect it when charged it will stay that way for years allegedly. Mine stays charged for months between use.

Recent Posts/Topics