Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2009 R vs 2020 RS  (Read 283 times)

Offline lange

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Power is nothing without control
  • Bike: -20 Street Triple RS
2009 R vs 2020 RS
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »
I've just traded my 2009 R to a 2020 RS and I was asked to compare the two bikes.

2009 R:
When I bought the R in 2009 it was the best bike I've owned in my 36 years of biking.

Pro:
Light and nimble with a very wide torque band.
Engine revs quickly
Good suspension and brakes; much better than I was used to.
Relaxed riding position
A design which stood out.

Con:
Very big turning radius
Very poor headlight. Especially the low beam. A lot of light, but very unevenly distributed. A set of Cibi's helped a lot. Today I would have chosen a LED solution.
The seat lock was difficult til access.
2 up and luggage for 2 weeks is difficult and not what the bike was designed for.
When a LowBoy was mounted, the hangers for the passenger pegs looks stupid.

I loved the Pro's and learned to live with the Con's

Seemed impossible to make this bike much better.

2020 RS:
Well I was wrong. It was actually possible to make a better bike based on the old R model.

The suspension is a step up with Showa Big Piston and hlins STX40 rear suspension.
Brembo M50 calipers in front with a multi adjustable master
A little Brembo caliper at the rear. Less powerful than the old one, but just as powerful as requested on a bike like this. The old one was too powerful.
Sharper steering
The turning radius is fixed.
The seat lock is fixed.
The headlight is much better than the old one. Actually it is as good as my cars. Even if there is only 1 low and 1 high beam.
The lift of the mid range torque and the top end power is a big improvement. You can really fill it.
The riding position is luckily enough not changed
A lot of the accessory needed on the old comes standard on this new. (Flyscreen, bellypan, hugger, coloured radiator cowl, slipper clutch, adjustable levers etc.)
Much sharper design. Now the old one looks outdated.

The price tag is the same as for the 2019 in spite of the improvements. Actually it is nearly the same as what I payed for my 2009 R in 2009.

A good TFT screen with a lot of info, but.......
And there is a but.

Triumph tell us the bike is race breed. It comes with top spec suspension and brakes. It even has a laptimer in the instrument. In the presentation video it is shown on a race track and then IT DOESN'T HAVE A DECENT REV COUNTER! :430:

What it has is something which looks like it is developed by a teenage nerd high on RedBull and coke. He must have seen to many Starwar movies and he must be the son of the topboss, since no one stopped him in time. The so called rev counter is much too difficult to read when doing fast laps on a track.

Four different styles can be selected in the instrument, all with this lousy rev counter. I agree it looks nice, but in real life it doesn't work.

So Triumph please give us a SW update of the instrument with a decent rev counter like the 2019 R model of the new Moto2. Is is only a SW thing. :440:

When they hopefully do the update they could add a cruise control. Alle the HW is there; only a couple SW lines are missing.

I would also have liked an IMU with the possibility of corner ABS, but the the price tag would change. A lot of compatible bikes have it.

In spite of the missing rev counter I'm very pleased with the change of bike, and looks forward to many good rides in the years to come; with or without a rev counter.

Power is nothing without control

Offline doolar

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: -18 RS
  • City / Town: Limhamn
Re: 2009 R vs 2020 RS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:58 AM »
The screen layout seems to be a common complaint on the 2020 bike. On the older RS there are several selectable layouts with a very clear rev counter. Shame that they just didnt keep them on as a choice.

Have fun with you new bike!

Offline Moto2build

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street triple rs
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Cant work out if youre comparing the 2020 RS to the 2019 or the 16?
Much sharper design dates which model etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
Thanks very much Lange, thanks for taking the time to do this. You've answered some of the questions I had and given me food for thought.

I had wondered how much difference the midrange would make so it's good to know it is noticeable. When I test rode a 2017 RS I thought the top end was fantastic but was a little disappointed by the midrange - I had expected more, perhaps unreasonably so.

It's good to hear about the rev counter too. I don't know why they changed it either. To be honest I preferred the analogue rev counter of my 2009 bike when I tested the 2017 RS anyway (from the point of view of it being easy to read).

I agree, I think it looks much better than the 2009 R (I have one), apart from maybe the front mudguard  :038:

I'm glad you like it. If you find more likes or dislikes I'd love to read about them.

Moto2: I think he's comparing the 2009 to the 2020, apart from the rev counter which he's comparing to the first generation RS. That's how I read it anyway  :002:

Offline JanM

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 08 Striple's
  • City / Town: Hilleroed
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 08:45:38 PM »
Thanks lange!

Glad to hear the turning radius is fixed as this is still a bit annoying to me. Agree on the display - wonder if the instrument cluster from a 2020 765R will fit?

When I test rode a 2017 765RS it didn't convince me to replace my 2008 as it has been quite upgraded with suspension (various) and the R brakes.

Maybe it is time for another testride...

BR, Jan.

Offline lange

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 04:14:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Moto2build [+]
Cant work out if youre comparing the 2020 RS to the 2019 or the 16?
Much sharper design dates which model etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for the TFT it is a 2009 vs 2020 comparing.

As for the TFT it is a 2019 vs 2020

Offline lange

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by JanM [+]

Agree on the display - wonder if the instrument cluster from a 2020 765R will fit?

The cluster for the 2020 is the problem unless the 2020 765R differs from the 2020 765RS

We don't have the R in DK so I don't know how it is equipped.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:21:26 PM by lange »

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat