Author Topic: HJC vs Nolan  (Read 555 times)

EllyV6, JONO 67 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mpact

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 STR facelifted
HJC vs Nolan
on: April 11, 2020, 12:13:31 AM
Hey lads, I'm looking at getting a new lid and I've narrowed it down to either an HJC IS-17 or a Nolan N60-5. Have any of you owned one or both and can give an opinion? Cheers.

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: HJC vs Nolan
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:23:05 AM
I had an HJC lid and it was black and quite noisy, whereas ISTR Nolan lids are quieter but I might be making that up.

Why don't you look at the official SHARP ratings https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ and then buy the one with the nicest colour scheme, that's what most people do.

Offline GW

• City / Town: Batley
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:16 AM
Hi,
   I have a agv and I have just bought a shoei NXR ,lovely helmet great fit not too noisey ,but you really must try one on,impossible now I know and so if off internet try to make sure your measurements are spot on,great offers around hope this might help a bit.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:39 AM
SHOEI NXR helmets are really nice  :028:    IMO 
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:44:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
SHOEI NXR helmets are really nice  :028:    IMO

yep lovely helmets I currently have 2, all day comfy, Quiet, good vision (they have the wider screen aperture), light and seem to suit the riding position on the Streets. As always it is down to whether they fit you properly.
I would recommend them highly.

Offline Mpact

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:56:24 PM
Thanks guys. Shoei's and Arai's and the like are only dreams for me unfortunately. I'm after a "best bang for buck" helmet. I opted for the HJC and ordered one. Thanks for the input.

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:49:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Mpact [+]
Thanks guys. Shoei's and Arai's and the like are only dreams for me unfortunately. I'm after a "best bang for buck" helmet. I opted for the HJC and ordered one. Thanks for the input.

HJC are  good helmets, quite a few of my mates have them they just don't fit me right.

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 11:08:28 AM
I'm in the market for a new lid.

Just got the daughter a HJC CL-Y and was very impressed given its price point.

Looked at HJC but inbetween sizes (56.5 cm). Their sizes were 55 to 56 and then 57 to 58. Had the same issue when i got my Shark lid. Decided on a Schuberth C3 Pro in the end as I was spot on for the 56 to 57. Bit of a gamble, but fingers crossed it's a good fit.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Online stevebst675

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: '13 CB1100
  • City / Town: South Beds.
Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:38:57 PM
Iíve had an HJC FG-ST in the past and it was comfy but wind noise was quite apparent. Then again, ear plus help there.
I donít have a Nolan but have a X-Lite X661 (made by Nolan) and itís more comfy but again the wind noise is quite apparent albeit slightly quieter than the HJC. Check out the head shape that manufactures base their helmets on and the amount of varied shell sizes as the best fitting helmets use more shell sizes and quality padding.
My fave is my Shoei GT-Air. Comfy and quiet, even with an intercom and mic boom.  :002:
Life is better on two wheels

Offline Mpact

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:57:32 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I've ridden a few hundred miles in the HJC now. I have to admit to being a little disappointed. The wind noise is ridiculous. Very noisy helmet I find. Also, the amount of wind rushing up under it, despite there being a chin curtain means, although it's refreshing in this hot weather, I can't see how I'll use this helmet in winter.