Author Topic: Car security Pro app  (Read 805 times)

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Car security Pro app
on: May 04, 2020, 09:39:24 PM
Last week, My 2 month old Xiaomi m365pro E-scooter got stolen out of the garage in broad daylight.  Two oldtimers in the garage, california camper and 2 cars on the driveway, my wife and 2 sons and the huge german sheppard home and I was away posting some letters with the triple for 30 minutes max. We live in a rural municipality, but still, some #### just entered the garage, took the E-scooter with its charger and got away with it. SO that makes me think. What about a little project for the street triple...a tracker.
I don't want to spend to much money on it and I like some DIY.

I think I can get an old cellphone for free ( minimum android 4. or higher and with a GPS ). At work we have them or my sister has 2 of them not used anymore. COST : 0
On the bike I already have a 12V to USB (I use my daily cellphone as navigation and I can tap into it if needed). The plan is to place the old cellphone in a hidden location and connect it with the USB port. This USB port has a small switch, so if needed it can be switched off to spare the battery of the bike,   with the risk that the cellphone battery will drain . So the idea is to leave it connected. I measured the drain of my current mobile with its battery fully loaded, screen off but the app running in the background and it takes about 0.018A so I think that is fine .
I found a good location to hide it and no it is not under the seat, ...
I would install 2 apps in this old mobile: 1. FIND MY DEVICE : Google app that makes it easy to trace a lost mobile phone and has some other features. And 2. Car Security Pro, that turns an old celphone into a tracker and silent alarm. It can be armed and disarmed from another cellphone. If I install f.e. the Car Security Alarm Pro Client on my daily cellphone, the two phones will see each other via bluetooth the moment I go to the bike ,the alarm/tracker phone in the bike will be disarmed. The moment they lose bluetooth connection ( when you leave the bike and go away) the alarm/tracker will be armed.
Ones armed, the alarm wil react on motion, using the accelerometer in the mobile and it will sent an SMS with GPS coordinats and with GSM coordinats to a Gmail adress. Just click on it and GOOGLE MAPS opens to show the locations.
The app for the old mobile in the bike is free, but the client to install on your own phone or other phones costs 5.

I made a new gmail account just to run the app without using my regular account. This allows me to get a specific sound and buz even if my phone would be in silent mode to warn me that the bike has been moved/touched.

I still have to get the old mobilephone and choose/buy a cheap subscription or preload simcard to use in the bike and then I can test it more thorough.
If I get it to work properly (I think I will) it just costs me 5+the cost of a simcard

I could even experiment with installing an app that should you wish so, lets you listen to the surroundings of the bike and hear/record  conversations. ( an app like f.e.  FIND MY KIDS does that.)
Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:12:46 PM by gvy

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Re: Car security Pro app
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:50 AM
Yes Tim, I know and I read about them and looked for information.
But as I mentioned. Today I got 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 mini ( SM-G800F) with android 5.1.1 on it for free. They have Bluetooth and GPS ( A-GPS and Glonass ) and they are IP67 (dust water), can be loaded via the micro USB port and they are pretty small and flat.

Of course they lack relais contacts, so I cannot interfere or shut off the bike, but they are way more advanced and open to try out things with different apps than those cheap chinese GPS thingies, I got them for nothing, so time to play a bit.

I may use the second one for our california camper....

Online adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:53:33 AM
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Last week, My 2 month old Xiaomi m365pro E-scooter got stolen out of the garage in broad daylight.  Two oldtimers in the garage, california camper and 2 cars on the driveway, my wife and 2 sons and the huge german sheppard home and I was away posting some letters with the triple for 30 minutes max. We live in a rural municipality, but still, some #### just entered the garage, took the E-scooter with its charger and got away with it. SO that makes me think. What about a little project for the street triple...a tracker.
I don't want to spend to much money on it and I like some DIY.

I think I can get an old cellphone for free ( minimum android 4. or higher and with a GPS ). At work we have them or my sister has 2 of them not used anymore. COST : 0
On the bike I already have a 12V to USB (I use my daily cellphone as navigation and I can tap into it if needed). The plan is to place the old cellphone in a hidden location and connect it with the USB port. This USB port has a small switch, so if needed it can be switched off to spare the battery of the bike,   with the risk that the cellphone battery will drain . So the idea is to leave it connected. I measured the drain of my current mobile with its battery fully loaded, screen off but the app running in the background and it takes about 0.018A so I think that is fine .
I found a good location to hide it and no it is not under the seat, ...
I would install 2 apps in this old mobile: 1. FIND MY DEVICE : Google app that makes it easy to trace a lost mobile phone and has some other features. And 2. Car Security Pro, that turns an old celphone into a tracker and silent alarm. It can be armed and disarmed from another cellphone. If I install f.e. the Car Security Alarm Pro Client on my daily cellphone, the two phones will see each other via bluetooth the moment I go to the bike ,the alarm/tracker phone in the bike will be disarmed. The moment they lose bluetooth connection ( when you leave the bike and go away) the alarm/tracker will be armed.
Ones armed, the alarm wil react on motion, using the accelerometer in the mobile and it will sent an SMS with GPS coordinats and with GSM coordinats to a Gmail adress. Just click on it and GOOGLE MAPS opens to show the locations.
The app for the old mobile in the bike is free, but the client to install on your own phone or other phones costs 5.

I made a new gmail account just to run the app without using my regular account. This allows me to get a specific sound and buz even if my phone would be in silent mode to warn me that the bike has been moved/touched.

I still have to get the old mobilephone and choose/buy a cheap subscription or preload simcard to use in the bike and then I can test it more thorough.
If I get it to work properly (I think I will) it just costs me 5+the cost of a simcard

I could even experiment with installing an app that should you wish so, lets you listen to the surroundings of the bike and hear/record  conversations. ( an app like f.e.  FIND MY KIDS does that.)

Daag Geert.   

Really sorry to hear that the thieving, lowlife, worthless, sh!t-for-brains scum that desecrate the earth and pollute the atmosphere with their unwanted existence, really are universal.  I'm surprised that the alsatian didn't alert to the odious smell of these disgusting creatures - would have been nice if the dog had made a really close acquaintance with them! 

Isn't it odd that they "happened" to pick the very moment that you are out of the house for long enough for them to sneak in and help themselves?  Perhaps they've seen the scooter, had their eyes on it and realised an opportunity when they saw you leave?  I'd have a think back and try to recollect anybody hanging around over the past few days.  I'd also take the time to think again about how secure your place is, though it is almost impossible to make anything 100% secure from these "people".   Although we tend to assume that being in a rural community provides some protection, it can also mean a level of vulnerability, too ..... especially these days with so many parcel delivery services being operated by private, unmarked van owners.

Tim's right, there are a few of these tracker apps. around but it does sound like you've got a really cheap solution already mapped out and I, for one, would be interested to know if/how your solution all works when you get it in place.  Over here PAYG on a network like giffgaff could be as cheap as 5.00 a month.

Good luck getting it all sorted and do, please, let us know how you fare with the tracker.

Regards,

Adie

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:23 AM
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]

Over here PAYG on a network like giffgaff could be as cheap as 5.00 a month.

Even cheaper; with giffgaff the initial top up of 10 doesn't age off. I think the tracker uses about 1p a month data so a tenner will last a couple of years!

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 05:02:00 PM
The dog might have been in the backyard with my wife, because most of the time he loves to be indoors and normally he really makes noise when someone is approaching the house. Anyway,  my wife texted me, the new Xiaomi 365 pro is delivered today, another 500 lighter .Add lightness said Colin Chapman, but I prefer it not on my Bankaccount :006:. SO first a little tryout if all is good and then I start painting an airbrushing the E-scooter, so it will at least be unsaleable without a complete overspray, with in big letters painted on it, name and address and multiple engravings in each of the parts. If it is stolen again, at least they will have to do a lot of effort to sell it. I will try to be creative  :008:
I am not gonna do that to my street triple  :018:
I have to do a search , but I don't think we have something cheap as giffgaff over here.

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 11:41:47 PM
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
I measured the drain of my current mobile with its battery fully loaded, screen off but the app running in the background and it takes about 0.018A so I think that is fine .

I have to rectify this information. The actual measured drain from the motorbattery with a fully charged samsung galaxy S5 mini in powersafe mode ( but fully active bluetooth,wifi,gps etc...)screen off is infact around 0.05A - 0.07A.
So when not using the bike I guess it will drain the battery within a week without a tricklecharger...

EDIT : If the wifi is turned off ( bluetooth/GPS on) then the drain drops to 0.03A-0.05A. The thing is, I don't know if the GSM positioning is using "unknown"wifi networks or not. f.e. if the bike is stolen and kept indoors ( out of reach of GPS antenna's ) does the fact that wifi is turned on help to give an exact "GSM location".
The tracker always sends me 2 coordinats : GPS location and GSM location.
Indoors in my house , I get :
 GPS Location: Unavailable
 GSM Location: "the exact location and adress of my house"
Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:45:58 AM by gvy

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:52:09 AM
So a little update

The old samsung galaxy S5 mini cellphone with the app, car security pro on it , is installed in the bike with its own battery but also with a permanent usb feed to the bikes battery.

I bought a data only sim Europe from Keepgo  ( that came with 2GB ) for 24.95. This sim does not expire! I just have to load ones a year .I tried to  calculate a little and I think It will suffice to load only 500MB a year. So that would cost me 6 a year in the future. (9 if it was 1 GB) This is really good value as a sim for a tracker and for what I will pay yearly for the added safety.

I did a little ride with the bike, while I left my normal cellphone at home. As soon as the trackerphone in the bike lost bluetooth contact with my normal cellphone it started emailing coordinates each minute. I stopped at a resting point and left the bike for about 10 minutes. At rest it stopped emailing coordinates, but as soon as I moved the bike it resumed emailing coordinates. Ones home and in contact with my normal cellphone the alarm disarmed and I could move the bike without it emailing coordinates . I had a look on my PC and I could restore the whole route I had ridden including the exact location ( within 5m) where the bike was parked when I stopped.
So it worked fine.
Also, i can ask the trackerphone at each moment to sent me its coordinates ( the bikes coordinates) via the google app "find my device"

To solve the risk that the trackerphone would drain my bikes battery after a longer time, I bought an optimate 1 duo trickle charger and installed it in the middle of my garage with a long cable.
i also installed a SAE connector with fuse to the battery on my street triple and on my 1980 Lotus Esprit and 1970 Opel GT . This little trickle charger tops up the 3 vehicles without a problem and reconnecting with the SAE connectors is a matter of seconds. I don't like the batteries of the cars to be on trickle charge all the time, so It is OK to top them up ones a month or so.
On the street triple I don't have to remove the saddle to connect.

The SAE connector on the bike:

The optimate in the center of the garage:

An overview, the cable is long enough to load the two cars and the bike
Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:02:04 AM by gvy

scandal-fat