Author Topic: Exhaust gasket issues.. Advice needed, tricks or tips  (Read 410 times)

Offline S4int

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 2010
  • City / Town: Southampton
Hi all

So I need help.

I have a 2010 ST and I have swapped the OEM exhaust for after market which I have done before and typically don't have any issues. However the new link pipes are a larger diameter than the standard pipes that use a gasket to take up the space and seal it ( Number 15 on the picture below and new one shown)

Schematic of exhaust system

New Gasket Shown

This shouldn't be a problem but the new link pipe doesn't seem to want to go in far enough and the pipe "blows" along the expansion splits where the clamp goes. So I took it apart again and shone a light in side and I think the remains of the old gasket has welded itself inside the original "Y" piece... see photos below.

I split the pipe further down so as not to drop crap down the pipe, and tried a circular brass  brush attachment and it didn't really remove much, nor did a small screwdriver trying to lift it.

So:

Do you guys think it is the remains of the old gasket, or is it just the build up of crude on the weld line??

If it is the old gasket has anyone got any tips to remove it??

As the original OEM gasket won't fit on the new pipe any recommendations on sealing the pipe, better than the high temp automotive silicone sealant I have been using?

Also, the gasket further down (Item 13 on the schematic above) is knackered but the pipe goes through the swing arm and although I managed to just about separate it is there a way to remove it with out taking the swing arm / suspension apart?   

Thank you in advance

Simon

Online EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
Re: Exhaust gasket issues.. Advice needed, tricks or tips
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:59 AM
I had the same issue when I replaced the standard silencers with the TOR ones.
It is the remains of the old gasket in there, welded tight for sure !

I stuffed a rag down the pipe first, leave an end out obviously then split the old gasket carefully  with screwdriver and small hammer taps. The new gasket should fit easily to it's full extent into the link pipe so if it wont go fully in then there is still old stuff in there.

Every so often I vacced out the bits, finally pulling the rag out carefully..I did a brief start up to blow any small bits out, ten secs maybe.

It's HARD by the way so you will need to persevere  :008:
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:36:51 AM by EllyV6

Offline S4int

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:30:57 AM
Thank you for the reply.

Its the answer I expected but didn't want to hear. To be honest I was hoping for a miracle solution! 😁

So I have brought some seal picks from amazon,  40mm flap wheels, sharpened an old  screwdriver and will have a go today.

I think there maybe some offensive language coming from the garage this evening doing this! 🤬😂

Thanks again.

Simon.

Online EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:41:06 AM
When the offensive language got too much, I went for a coffee  :038:
Just take your time, if you can split a groove right the way along the gasket it will collapse inwards under persuasion,  much like a steel or rubber bush extraction!
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:42:56 AM by EllyV6

Offline S4int

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Soooo.

I managed to clear the old gaskets out of the pipe initially with a set of seal picks to remove what I could, but what really did the trick was a set of three flap wheels I brought from tool station

https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-flap-wheel-set/p48423

As they where 40mm they fitted a treat and left a smooth and clean finish which meant the pipe and new gasket fitted a treat. The lower join I managed to separate by releasing the undertray and pushing up, and releasing the lower mount and pushing the pipe from the manifold down a little.

The pipes are now singing on throttle and burbling on roll off, I am sure my neighbours are relieved I got it sorted!   :001: :001:

Online EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:06 PM
Nice one !!
Need pics,  to see the finished article on the bike....or it didn't happen  !!!  :008:

Offline Jynn

• Bike: STriple 675 (2008)
  • City / Town: Oxfordshire
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:47:22 PM
Sounds like Iím having a very similar problem. Got some HP Corse end cans but they are too big to accommodate the gaskets. There seems to be hot air still escaping.

Did you simply remove the gasket and clean, or did you then fit new gaskets too?

Online EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 09:23:02 PM
In my case I fitted new oem gaskets from Fowlers as I was fitting Triumph pipes, TOR versions.

After cleaning up the link pipe internals they slid in , fully home, a treat.

Offline S4int

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 06:22:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Jynn [+]
Sounds like Iím having a very similar problem. Got some HP Corse end cans but they are too big to accommodate the gaskets. There seems to be hot air still escaping.

Did you simply remove the gasket and clean, or did you then fit new gaskets too?

The link pipes for the aftermarket exhausts are bigger than the Triumph pipes,  so didn't use a OEM gasket there, instead used a high temp silicone sealant . TBH after cleaning it out the fit was tight enough to seal without  it.

Offline S4int

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 10:29:53 PM
*Originally Posted by EllyV6 [+]
Nice one !!
Need pics,  to see the finished article on the bike....or it didn't happen  !!!  :008:

Pipes on and all clean ready for a ride out.