Author Topic: new chain and sprockets  (Read 449 times)

Offline MikeST

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Bedforshire
new chain and sprockets
on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:13 PM
2013 STR 675 ABS with nearly 19k miles. I've owned it 9 months / 4k.

The chain is very uneven in terms of tight/loose as it rotates and is quite noisy. Don't know it's full history, but I've oiled it regularly with gear oil and adjusted it once. I haven't measured the slack differences but have had a number of bikes over many years and I'm sure it ain't right - and it's done 19k, so . . . Also, all that uneven slack makes gear changes snatchy and makes the naturally snatchy throttle more difficult to manage. I find it very difficult to make a smooth accelerating exit out of a corner and pootling about in traffic is hard - jerky/on/off - work.

So, I think it's time for new chain and sprockets. I'm probably going to do the opposite to many and add a tooth to the front sprocket to lengthen it's legs a bit. I'm not a balls-out racer / lunatic. I ride/accelerate as fast as I dare risk my license, and that's nowhere near the limits of the bike.

Also:
17 vs 16 teeth = 6% higher gearing.
I only weigh about 10st, so me+bike weigh 8% less than Mr UK Average 13st+bike.
I reckon the bike will be just as lively as a standard bike + average rider.

17 teeth:  https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/renthal-front-sprocket-triumph-675-street-triple
47 teeth:  https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/triumph-renthal-rear-sprocket-675-street-triple
118 links:  https://www.motorcycleraceparts.co.uk/did-525-vxgb-gold-coloured-x-ring-chain

Anybody want to talk me out of this plan ? Or recommend alternative brands / parts / supplier ?

cheers

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Re: new chain and sprockets
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:41:00 PM
Yeah. It always makes things a bit more dull. Like dull performance. It is only a 675 and is surprisingly flexible.  But part of that is gear ratios that match the power curve.  Make them taller and each change is further away.

I found that out on an old bike where previous owner had neutured it.

I tried smaller front but went back to std as it just works.  Modern bikes do like revs though so don't be scared.

I have a new chain and sprockets on the shelf.  54,000km and I'm waiting for the original to wear out.  Just the occasional spray of real chain lube. 

If you have tight spots that persist it should be replaced without delay.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:29 PM
*Originally Posted by MikeST [+]

The chain looks good to me , however, the front sprocket is not cushioned like the Triumph one is, so if it were me (and it's not), I would go for the Triumph front sprocket. As for the rear, the renthal looks nice, but you already have a gold chain, so a black sprocket looks better on a gold chain IMO, plus I would go steel, again, a Triumph on OR go Supersprox where you get best of both worlds with the ali centre and the steel teeth....   :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline MikeST

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Bedforshire
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:00 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I'd placed my order before the comments came in so things are already moving. Progress is delayed though as the 17t front sprocket is currently out of stock until mid-July.

I hadn't noticed that rear sprocket was aluminium - good spot!! I'll change to a steel equivalent.

Appreciate the thoughts about dulled performance, and I'm not ignoring them - you might be right. My feeling is still that my light weight will counteract that, at least enough for what I want.

Worst case scenario seems to be I'll have to spend another 20 on a 16t and another couple of hours in the garage. I'll be sure to feed back how it goes.

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:23 AM
If your suspension is good then a big improvement imo is to shorten the chain thus wheelbase.  I have KTech valves on front and revalved rear STR 11.  2 link pairs out from std and stable on bumpy roads but it turns tighter. 

Online gosling 1

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Danbury
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:58:58 PM
Worth a try and easy enough to change back to a 16T if you don't like it. I was a bit surprised at the noise difference between the cushioned and non-cushioned front sprockets. It bugged me so I put an OEM one on. But depending on which earplugs you use (if any) and how loud the exhaust is, this may not be an issue. :028:
2014 Street Triple R
2008 Tiger 1050
2011 Suzuki DR-Z400S

scandal-fat