Author Topic: My new RS is broken  (Read 1280 times)

Offline RikRS

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Trile RS 765
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
My new RS is broken
on: June 01, 2020, 09:19:16 PM
Hello all - just sharing the following in case anyone else has experienced the same issue. Picked up my lovely new 2020 RS last November and have been putting the miles on as part of the running in process. Poor weather Xmas and COVID restrictions meant that I didn't get to the magic total until very recently. Booked bike in for first service which was completed with no dramas. Then took bike out two weeks ago and it died on me 4 times on ride back home. Dash flashing Traction Control symbol turned off and engine management light on. Not good

Managed to get it to my local dealer who have had it since - initially diagnosed throttle actuator as the problem according to the diagnostic readout so that was changed last week under warranty. Test ride by the mechanic resulted in a further breakdown - same symptoms. So not the actuator then after all :006:. Next suspect was the quickshifter - I had been using it more after first service so wondered if that might be the problem. Dealership did a couple of test rides and confirmed that bike was dying when using quickshifter. Now waiting for that to be fitted tomorrow hopefully ro see if that fixes the issue. Dealership has been great throughout, especially given restrictions around operating under COVID. Dealership hasne heard of any other similar examples so thought I would share in case anyone else comes across the same problem. Massively disappointed in Triumph though and am hoping this is a one off and that I am not stuck with a problem child of a bike! I was hoping paying for a premium product meant that I would be getting a great bike but at present it doesn't feel that way..........

Online Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: My new RS is broken
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:09:38 PM
Don't worry...it is a great bike and the gremlins will be fixed  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:47 AM
Hi Rik.  I can fully understand your disappointment with these hassles with your new pride and joy.  It sounds like your main dealer (Blade Triumph?) are at least doing as much as they realistically can at present to restore your faith in the bike and the brand.  Problems like these can occur on any mechanical device and they are, of course, utterly frustrating when you've paid a LOT of money for a premium product that doesn't seem quite so premium when it fails!

I'm hoping that you'll come back on in a couple of days time and say that everything's fixed, the sun is shining, the roads are dry and the Cotswolds are a great place to demonstrate the pleasures of owing and riding a Street Triple!!

Regards,

Adie

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 11:25:09 AM
When my bike had its clutch replaced under a warranty repair the dealer told my that they had to be sure of the fault as if the fault was misdiagnosed the dealer were liable for the part and labour and not Triumph UK, leaving them out of pocket. Initially, they weren't sure what the exact problem was with mine and in the end took about 3 weeks before i got the bike back.

Dealers need to be almost 100% sure of the cause else it hits them in the pocket.

Offline RikRS

• Topic Author
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 12:53:29 PM
Yeah Blade Triumph who have been great in trying to resolve the problem. Would recommend them to anyone looking for a Triumph or work to be done on their bike - top lads!!Appreciate that dealers are tied to Triumph rules and regs ref warranty work its just really frustrating. I am taking a change in the weather to be a sign I will get my bike back this week - got to remain positive  :001: :001:

Offline RikRS

• Topic Author
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 07:39:08 PM
Update: new shift assist fitted this week but same problem persists. Triumph initially stumped as well which was a bit disconcerting...... today the decision from them is to completely replace the wiring loom. That's going to be done by the dealer next week. If that doesn't fix it then Mr Angry will be making an appearance. Dealership have sorted me a loan bike (765RS) which I am picking up tomorrow so all is not lost and I will at least be able to ride.........

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:06:35 AM
*Originally Posted by RikRS [+]
Update: new shift assist fitted this week but same problem persists. Triumph initially stumped as well which was a bit disconcerting...... today the decision from them is to completely replace the wiring loom. That's going to be done by the dealer next week. If that doesn't fix it then Mr Angry will be making an appearance. Dealership have sorted me a loan bike (765RS) which I am picking up tomorrow so all is not lost and I will at least be able to ride.........

Hmmmmmm...... not a great situation to be in, for sure.  But, it does sound like BLADE and the factory are doing whatever they can to resolve the situation and having a 765RS as a loan bike is definitely a good thing!

Hope it all gets sorted out for you and that you are soon happy once again.  Keep Mr. Angry as your 'last play' card - he doesn't usually get anything positive sorted out even though he might make you feel better.  For a short while.   Maybe.   :006:

Good luck.

Regards,

Adie

Offline RikRS

• Topic Author
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 08:28:33 PM
Well, this week has seen the wiring loom changed and................ its still broken. Dealer now running out of ideas but are pushing Triumph to come up with a resolution. Last hope is changing the throttle bodies, after that I think all options will have been exhausted...... :027: :027:

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 08:36:53 AM
New one please. Sort it out in their own time.

Offline deej

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: STR 2008
  • City / Town: Norfolk
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:26:59 AM
Totally agree... Not fit for purpose. failed within warranty period, Triumph accept the failure as they authorised the repairs.
Replacement machine (brand new) or full refund.

Speak to Trading Standards for advice if you can get hold of them.

scandal-fat