Poll

What's the best road tyre for bikes with no electrics - no abs, TC or other fancy gizmos

Metzeler M7 RR
3 (18.8%)
Metzeler M9 RR
2 (12.5%)
Michelin Road 5
4 (25%)
Michelin Power 5
1 (6.3%)
Other
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: July 03, 2020, 04:25:44 PM

Author Topic: Tyres for street triples with no electronics  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Shinycharizard

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: london
Tyres for street triples with no electronics
on: June 03, 2020, 04:25:44 PM
My M7RRs are toast.

Used them on track days, and dry weather riding as I try to avoid rain if I can.

I did ride them at Castle Combe when it was absolutely PEEING it down, and it wasn't a great experience.  Felt like they were slipping a bit, especially over the tarmac snakes.
However, at Thruxton (which has famously abrasive tarmac) on a perfect clear day was amazing, like glue.

What would be the best tyre for the above - dry weather where planned, accidental rain, and 2 track days a year.

Thanks!

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: Tyres for street triples with no electronics
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:59:08 PM
No such thing as a tyre that does all that - when would you prefer to crash, on a wet commute or a dry track day?

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 11:15:54 PM
 Sounds like you chose the right tyres already as you are not going to be riding in the peeing rain, just the odd unexpected rain....a good all round tyre IMO  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Shinycharizard

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: london
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 11:33:28 AM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
No such thing as a tyre that does all that - when would you prefer to crash, on a wet commute or a dry track day?

Haha, I would prefer to crash in the wet. 
I use a car when it's raining, and I have an electric bike for commuting on.

I merely have a bike for fun tbh.

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '14 STR (Dead now)
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:42:38 PM
M7RR is a great tyre. I've used them to tour in wet and dry conditions and they've been very good, I've also had a lot of fun with them on track. That said, modern motorcycle tyres of all types and brands do a decent job.

The Ron Haslam Race School use Dunlop Roadsmart 3, a sport touring tyre with good longevity.

For some reason some tyres become trendy whilst others are never talked about, truth is all the major manufacturers make good bike tyres.

Offline Scrubber

• Street Triple God
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 07:59:53 AM
I, like Ron Haslam have the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on my RS and find them perfect and I am only a road rider.
Warning. Do not neccesarily take everything I say as serious or the truth.

Offline Red

• Street Triple God
  • Carpe diem (na Kaapstad en terug)
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:55:22 PM
I had many a set of Roadsmart 1, great. Roadsmart 2, just the one set, not liked.

Many sets of Roadsmart 3, great

Went for T30 evo, did not like, prefered the T31, might go for another

The M7RR are nice but maybe a bit too soft and pick up foreign road objects and not as long lasting

:305: :305: :305:
"Not just today"
"Vos es meus optimus amicus"
"We can't change the weather, only enjoy the challenges it brings."
"When the road gets rough, who needs tarmac? ;-)  X"
"Team Red Tours are go!"
"O" roads for the adventure
"Being quick is not about going fast,its about being slower less often"

Offline STR JB

• Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Oxon
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:19:12 PM
Iíve got Roadsmart 3ís on my 2015 R, to me they feel much better than the Pirelliís Triumph fit

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 07:50:40 AM
At the awful risk of sounding like a stuck stylus on a cracked record (SH!T! I bet half the subscribers to this forum are already mystified by the use of antiquated English terms!!  :008:) AVON's Storm 3D XMs are very much worth considering.  They're capable of competing with any other tyre in the same sector; available at extremely good prices - they can be bought, loose, for around £150 per pair - and they are made in this country!

Tyre choice is always going to be as personal as choosing anything that will have a subjective analysis and unique application. That's to say there are unlikely to be two people that will have exactly  the same riding characteristics (ability, style, geography ..... etc., et al.) so personal choice will always be just that - a personal choice.  No one person can tell you what's the best for you, your needs, your situation, your uses, etc., etc., etc. 

In the final analysis it's a lottery - I'm sure you already know this - and your request for a recommendation for "the best tyre for ...." was actually a request for the good and bad  experiences of people that have used and liked/disliked tyres in a similar set of circumstances.  The BEST tyres for you in that particular set of circumstances are the ones that you will eventually like because they suit all or most of your fairly specific requirements.

It's not an easy ask and there's really no easy answer BUT, hopefully, you'll find something that works well and that you really, really like so you will be able to come back and tell us what you chose, why you chose them and how they fared for the conditions!   That way your voice can be added to the mix next time somebody comes up and asks for a recommendation of 'the best tyre for my ST".

Good luck with the search - and the outcome!

Regards,

Adie

Online Joe Public

• Street Triple Member
  • City / Town: Essex
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 06:02:05 PM
I have xm;s on my RS.
They are OK but you can get them spinning when it's cool and you get to the harder mid section.
That's quite fun when you have TC to catch you, might be not a good idea without tc...