Author Topic: Homemade kickstand shoe  (Read 249 times)

Online twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 675 R
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Homemade kickstand shoe
on: June 19, 2020, 07:20:47 PM
Made my first mod today, a whole one day into ownership.

I saw the R&G kickstand shoes and thought they were a really good idea.  Not quite 40 quid good though, so spent half an hour with a jigsaw, router, sander and a piece of 8mm acrylic and have come up with this:

I used double-sided tape to fix it first, but it wasn't really strong enough, so I've now put a dollop of Araldite in the bottom of it.

Originally it had a flat bottom, but that didn't work very well because of the angle of the stand to the floor, so a bit of sanding to create a chamfer on the back edge has it sitting perfectly flat on the floor.

30 mins simple work, 40 saved.  Bosh!

Cheers, 2

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Homemade kickstand shoe
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 09:39:03 AM
Nice work, twooo!  You thought about knocking a few out and see if they'll sell on here?  There's plenty of scope for design/shape/size changes to suit different applications or needs so you could be on to something here!

Online twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:27:58 AM
Thanks, I was pretty chuffed with the outcome.

It did occur to me, yes.   But the routing was done freehand and although it is a very good fit for the foot to sit in, it's not absolutely exact (maybe 0.5mm out).  You'd never notice when it's fitted, but I couldn't feel able to charge for them.  Not more than a nominal amount, anyway. 

If there is interest, I will knock up a few though.

Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:31:33 AM by twooo
Cheers, 2

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 10:44:22 AM
*Originally Posted by twooo [+]
Thanks, I was pretty chuffed with the outcome.

It did occur to me, yes.   But the routing was done freehand and although it is a very good fit for the foot to sit in, it's not absolutely exact (maybe 0.5mm out).  You'd never notice when it's fitted, but I couldn't feel able to charge for them.  Not more than a nominal amount, anyway. 

If there is interest, I will knock up a few though.

Here we go, then ............. I'll take two straight away for the Streets and might also look at some of my other Triumphs to see if the stands have a similar size foot!  I'll be more than happy to pay into your beer fund for them!   I could make a suggestion or two via PM for the Mk1a version, if you like?

Online twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:51:12 AM
No problem.  I'll do them today.  I'll need to take mine off so that I can get them to a good fit. (I should have made a copy of the foot before I stuck mine on, shouldn't I!!)

Please, PM away!
Cheers, 2

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 11:15:45 AM
*Originally Posted by twooo [+]
No problem.  I'll do them today.  I'll need to take mine off so that I can get them to a good fit. (I should have made a copy of the foot before I stuck mine on, shouldn't I!!)

Please, PM away!

Great stuff. 

Will do - I'll pop out to the workshop, first, and have a look to see if my thinking is valid!