Author Topic: New member. New Bike.  (Read 558 times)

Offline talisman

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765
  • City / Town: East Sussex
New member. New Bike.
on: June 28, 2020, 01:30:59 PM
Hi, collecting my Street Triple RS 2020 on Monday with a newly fitted Akropovic exhaust.

Iím a new rider and this is my first bike. I have always been a car guy but thought it was time to learn how to ride.

Here it is...

Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:17:00 PM by talisman

Offline chunkeymoneky026

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: St Albans
Re: New member. New Bike.
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:10 PM
Love this colour

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:37:49 PM
Hi welcome bikes are better than cars in every way. Unless you want to stay warm in winter, dry when it rains, carry lots of stuff or enjoy sitting in traffic!

First bike a 765 RS!! you are brave. took me a couple of years on my SFV650 before i went for the RS!.

Enjoy the bike
"I'm a summertime boy"

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
*Originally Posted by talisman [+]
Hi, collecting my Street Triple RS 2020 on Monday with a newly fitted Akropovic exhaust.

Iím a new rider and this is my first bike. I have always been a car guy but thought it was time to learn how to ride.

Here it is...

Hey Talisman.  Hello, good morning and a very warm  :401: to the net's best for all things Street Triple.

WOW - that's one hell of a way to get your 'novice status' bib removed!  :008:  Any comment further than that will make me sound like your mum and dad nagging at you to get something "sensible" and get some experience under your belt before taking on a 765RS .... with AKRA!  It's your life - live it.  I just hope it's as long, happy and interesting as mine has been!   :007:

I'll bet the Akra has made the bike - and your wallet - lighter.  I'm taking a friend of mine up to the local Ducati dealer tomorrow when he picks up his new Street Fighter V4 S.  He's said he needs to bring 'some parts' back with him and I'm having to use the car to carry them .... so I suspect he's gone for the (optional) Akra system fitted.  When I say "optional" I mean SERIOUSLY optional - circa £2,500 optional!! :005:  On a £20 grand motorcycle?   Too rich for me, thanks.   :001:

Anyway, Talisman - you be safe out there.  Enjoy that RS and become a long term biker now that you've found the path of two wheeled righteousness!

Stay safe.

Regards,

Adie

Offline talisman

• Topic Author
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 06:05:57 AM
Hah. Thanks.

Hereís to a long life too!

Offline Spud88

• Street Triple Member
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 11:26:00 AM
Welcome, cracking choice of first bike, has taken me a few bikes to find a street but am picking up my third one later.

Love the exhaust I had the same on an MT09 I had and loved it. They look the nuts and sound awesome!

Offline JamesDeath

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 10:25:51 PM
Welcome... :821:
The bikes a stunner love the colour combo.
First Bike wow.... take it steady but that could be your first and last well certainly a keeper even if others join the fold.
Get on some rider assesment rides etc to see where your at and how you enjoyment can be improved with some road craft.

Offline talisman

• Topic Author
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 06:07:38 PM
Great advice, thank you.

Iíve invested heavily in training. Taking extra lessons, hiring a bike to learn and signed up for https://britishsuperbikeschool.com/ level 1 Roadcraft course. 1-1 lesson.

Is there any courses which would benefit further in Roadcraft which would suit?

Thanks!

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 11:25:15 AM
*Originally Posted by talisman [+]
Great advice, thank you.

Iíve invested heavily in training. Taking extra lessons, hiring a bike to learn and signed up for https://britishsuperbikeschool.com/ level 1 Roadcraft course. 1-1 lesson.

Is there any courses which would benefit further in Roadcraft which would suit?

Thanks!

Check your local Constabulary's web site pages - they often do one day 'new rider' assessment/appraisal events, usually with a local IAM/Roadsmart group.

A lot of "sports" riders think that motorcycle cops are pretty pedestrian with all the 'safety first' procedures and seemingly unusual road positioning, but just try following one of 'em when they're on a fast run or a shout. 

I remember being pillion passenger when my brother rode my 900 Trident many years ago and, OHMIGOD, I thought I was certain I was about to die in a mangled heap of metal and plastic!! Clearly, I didn't - die that is - but I doubt that my Trident has been ridden anything like that hard (or well!!) since.

The thing about IAM type training is that it will give you a much greater awareness of the things that may or will compromise or threaten your safety when out on a motorcycle.  That awareness, in itself, can help you go a bit faster with a lot more safety.