Author Topic: Misleading Dealer Pricing.......  (Read 596 times)

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Misleading Dealer Pricing.......
on: June 30, 2020, 09:36:45 PM
Hi all,

was in the local dealer last week looking at the shiny new bikes whilst mine was being MOT'd. This prompted me to look on their website and see all the stock they had across the branches in order to see if i could afford an "R" to replace my standard 675.

So, i was interested in the ST "R" model and looked at the new bike offers (ever hopeful), £9,300 with a complimentary Quickshifter.......  Eerrrr hang on a minute 2020 ST "R" OTR price is £8,900 and comes with a 2 way quickshifter. This looks suspiciously like 2019 stock being sold at £400 more than 2020 models. I know there are some small spec changes but nowhere does it mention last years model.........

This prompted a look at the 2020 "RS" which thankfully looks right at £10,300 and has a complimentary Arrow Silencer thrown it. Okay, what ex-demo or used ones have they got, there are numerous 2019 bikes which are circa £8700ish all claiming WAS £10,300.  Errr excuse me??? - How does a registered bike with over 1000 miles cost the same as new??.

Have been left confused and somewhat misled by the advertising and pricing of the new bikes, the "special offers" aren't really that special. I think it would be much clearer if the new bikes were advertised with the model year.

S/Hand prices seem to be really strong on 2019 RS models with only about £1500-£1800 being the difference on a new bike.

Anybody else come across this when looking at prices???????

Offline TC

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: STRR
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Misleading Dealer Pricing.......
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:17 PM
*Originally Posted by ninja365 [+]
This prompted a look at the 2020 "RS" which thankfully looks right at £10,300 and has a complimentary Arrow Silencer thrown it.

The 2020 RS doesn't have a complimentary Arrow can, it's the std can on the RS with the c/f trim.
2020 Street Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt
2020 Street Triple RS

TC Drag Bike

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 11:22:47 PM
I get that, but is this a 2019 old stock with an incentive of a shiny new arrow or genuine 2020 stock?. About as clear as mud.  :087:

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: ST RS/ Yamaha MT07
  • City / Town: Surrey
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:16:05 AM
I'd take a look at the private sellers if you're in the market for a bargain. People looking to sell bikes in the current climate and not too many people buying. I picked up a 2018 ST RS with barely 1500 miles on the clock, one owner for £7k at the end of May. it's absolutely mint and saved me a packet over new, just take your time and keep a watchful eye open.
I'm finding the dealers are all into marketing in different ways right now to shift stock at due to lost sales at what should be the peak of their sales time right now.

Offline chunkeymoneky026

• Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: St Albans
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 01:28:12 PM
I guess the confusion is that the 2020 model costs less than the 2019.  The 2020 has some additional “extras” but loses things like the TFT screen. Well on anything below the RS anyway.

As mentioned there are some cracking details around, I picked up a 2019 unregistered Street Triple R for just under £7995.

Offline doggy

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 765 RS + Monster796
  • City / Town: Kent
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:53:09 PM
I was in a bike shop before lockdown and no OTR prices displayed on any new bikes . It was all PCP prices with the monthly figure in big bold type and the large final payment all in small print .....

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:16:30 PM
Just to add some confusion, the dealer i went to valued my ST 2011 for a trade in, it has full Triumph history and actually came from them new. They came back with £2500 in standard trim which i think is pretty poor. Went to my friendly Yamaha dealer at the weekend and took an MT09 out on demo for 100 miles and asked them to come up with a trade in which came back at £3500 in standard trim  Ex-squeeze me, Baking powder?:087: A few hundred difference i understand, but a £1k?????

Just to recap, better trade in by 40% against a cheaper bike?. That has really got me thinking about a change to a Yam MT09. Might even go back this weekend and have a go on their MT10  :001:, trouble is i will probably get back to the dealer jibbering like a chimp wanting a pen to sign my life away........ :008: :008:

Trouble is i still want a 765R as the Triumph has something in bundles the Yam's don't - Character.  :410:

Offline JamesDeath

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:23:56 AM
I was glad to see the price reduction on the STR, when it launched I actually welcomed the fact it had dropped back to the old screen.
Not a fan of tft screens.
Heard mechanics say there a swine to clean because everyone thinks there touch screens... :008:
As for the Mt09 and Mt10, I actually found the MT09 more comfortable but they don’t have the street triple emotion and character.

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:09 PM
I believe that you can get the bike on PCP (taking the Dealers contribution) and after you ride away from the Dealer cancel the PCP agreement (which you have 14 days to do), You will then have to settle the outstanding finance with the finance company in full (they will write to you with he final figure and date). No interest incurred.
This Dealer may not be happy as you technically you haven't taken the PCP deal, but legally you have done nothing wrong - other than pulling a fast one.

Or you could cancel after the 1st monthly PCP payment, but the settlement figure on the outstanding finance will include 90 days interest.

Either way, cheaper than doing the full PCP term and final balloon payment.

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:53:05 PM
Running man,

interesting comments re PCP but i would be a cash buyer. It does seem kind of bizarre that dealers are peddling 2019 models out for more than the 2020 ones. Not a brilliant strategy from Triumph.......