Author Topic: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.  (Read 722 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ninja365

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
on: June 30, 2020, 09:44:57 PM

So after splashing out on an Ohlins rear shock for my 2011 ST, i got around to getting in touch with MCT suspension to talk about what they can do with the standard front forks. Spoke to Darren who has mega helpful and can service the units, add new springs and make some internal changes to improve the oil flow for £270.00 which sounds like a bargain to improve the handling.

If i get the forks dropped in (they are near-ish to me) or sent, they will be turned round in a couple of weeks.

Anyone here already had this done?, what sort of changes did you see??.

Offline Tomspurs

  • Street Triple God
  • *****
  • Posts: 9359
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
  • Country: england
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:23:24 PM
Sounds a good idea. I have my 2009 ST converted by Maxton, felt a whole lot better after it was fitted to my bike (I bought them already converted and still have the original forks, which is a bonus when getting them service, as I can still riode the bike whilst they are away  :007:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline branston

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Benfleet, Essex
  • Country: gb
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 11:16:46 PM
Just about to do the same myself, but to the front and rear because for me personally, my STR is a very, very good handling bike that I think could be absolutely fantastic if the harsh, choppy suspension was improved. Plus in my case, itís also getting on for six years old now

However, youíre probably going to beat me cos Iíve still gotta get them all off, so youíll have to tell us first what the results are like, and Iíll do the same in the future

I also spoke to Darren and heís been real helpful so far, honest and straightforward to deal with, and it goes without saying that heís got a proven record for knowing what heís doing. A drive-in service was a very, very long wait, but getting them couriered in was about a two-week turnaround, so not too bad

With each new bike (S/H) Iíve bought over too many years now,  Iíve promised myself Iíd get a proper suspension set-up over all the other trinkets, but never done it. Until now, well soon anyway . . . . . .

Offline Titter

  • Street Triple Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 140
  • Titter
  • Bike: 675R & Multi 1200
  • City / Town: Kent
  • Country: gb
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:15:58 PM
I had a Sprint 1050 ST done by them a few years ago. Serviced the front forks and fitted a Nitron shock. Best money I ever spent on a bike, transformed the way it handled
Over the hill. Loves bikes, music & family. Not necessarily in that order

Offline F5 Dave

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 643
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
  • Country: nz
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 06:46:29 AM
*Originally Posted by branston [+]
Just about to do the same myself, but to the front and rear because for me personally, my STR is a very, very good handling bike that I think could be absolutely fantastic if the harsh, choppy suspension was improved. Plus in my case, itís also getting on for six years old now

However, youíre probably going to beat me cos Iíve still gotta get them all off, so youíll have to tell us first what the results are like, and Iíll do the same in the future

I also spoke to Darren and heís been real helpful so far, honest and straightforward to deal with, and it goes without saying that heís got a proven record for knowing what heís doing. A drive-in service was a very, very long wait, but getting them couriered in was about a two-week turnaround, so not too bad

With each new bike (S/H) Iíve bought over too many years now,  Iíve promised myself Iíd get a proper suspension set-up over all the other trinkets, but never done it. Until now, well soon anyway . . . . . .
My 2011 STR is gen before yours, but supplied with a stupidly heavy rear spring and valving to cope with that spring.  Then by contrast the fork springs were too soft. Go figure.   No more kicks in the arse over bumps.

Offline ninja365

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:48:40 PM
*Originally Posted by F5 Dave [+]
My 2011 STR is gen before yours, but supplied with a stupidly heavy rear spring and valving to cope with that spring.  Then by contrast the fork springs were too soft. Go figure.   No more kicks in the arse over bumps.

So finally took my forks over to MCT today after lots of deliberating between transplanting an R front end in or having mine upgraded. I have opted for a full rebuild including a new cartridge which was coming in at just under £500. When i got there and Darren inspected forks, he pointed out to me a lot of pitting on the innerside on both legs which is within the seal travel down each leg. After wincing at the extra cost and taking a deep breath i have agreed to get both stancheons re-engineered (his advice) and re-chromed which according to him will never need doing again. The forks will be totally customised to my weight and riding style so am looking forward to seeing what the £700 is going to get me apart from a hole in the bank account  :006:

We did talk about a full cartridge kit as per K-Tech or Maxton but once again his professional opinion was that it wasn't a good use of money and for that price just buy new better forks or a better bike.

Just have to sit tight for a few weeks waiting now!

Offline Tomspurs

  • Street Triple God
  • *****
  • Posts: 9359
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
  • Country: england
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:01:06 PM
Sounds real expensive to me....hope it's a good conversion  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline ninja365

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 11:31:05 PM

As a comparison all the bits needed to convert the front end to an R come to around £500. Add on new fork seals, fork oil, brake pads, brake fluid and that's another £100+ . That assumes that the parts are all in good condition. Add on getting the forks set up properly and you've spent more than the conversion on my own forks.

Let's wait and see how they come back as my expectations are pretty high.

Offline Tomspurs

  • Street Triple God
  • *****
  • Posts: 9359
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
  • Country: england
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 06:35:44 PM
*Originally Posted by ninja365 [+]
As a comparison all the bits needed to convert the front end to an R come to around £500. Add on new fork seals, fork oil, brake pads, brake fluid and that's another £100+ . That assumes that the parts are all in good condition. Add on getting the forks set up properly and you've spent more than the conversion on my own forks.
Let's wait and see how they come back as my expectations are pretty high.

I think you missed a bit of the calculation.....the sale of your old forks  :007:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline ninja365

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 48
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Re: Front Fork Re-work by MCT Suspension.
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 08:46:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
I think you missed a bit of the calculation.....the sale of your old forks  :007:

I didn't factor in selling the wife either...... :008: