Author Topic: Front wheel bearing question  (Read 180 times)

Offline colthillary

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Always changing
  • City / Town: Nuneaton
Front wheel bearing question
on: July 01, 2020, 06:20:25 PM
So I noticed whilst I had the front wheel off today one of the garter springs had popped out of the seal (so ordered a new one).

The bearings feel smooth to turn but i notice if you spin one (fairly stiff) it will spin the spacer tube and the other bearing on the other side of the weel. Is this usual behaviour? I presume once torqued up on the wheel its fine as there is no scoring on the axle but thought Id ask the question.

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Front wheel bearing question
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:40:41 PM
Once the axle is torqued up the spacer tube will be gripped between the inner races of the 2 bearings and will be stationery as the outer races move around the inner when the wheel spins. The tube doesn't revolve around the axle.

Offline colthillary

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Always changing
  • City / Town: Nuneaton
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 06:58:56 PM
Yes, I thought that would be the case but wanted to double check.

Any preference on grease whilst im there, I presume LM2 lithium based grease would be fine just to smear on the face of the bearings to keep water at bay etc.

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:30:37 PM
Regular multipurpose grease NLGI 2 should be fine, no need for any fancy lithium or any of those sorts. Just a smear on the dust seal grooves and on the axle itself.

The wheel bearings are sealed bearings, the dust seal keeps water and dirt out of the cavity.

scandal-fat