Author Topic: Avon 3D Ultra Evo Tyres  (Read 1324 times)

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Avon 3D Ultra Evo Tyres
on: July 02, 2020, 11:19:37 PM
Hi all

Current Metzler Sportec M5's getting toward their end of life after 4,000 odd miles so have been having a look around at some options. Have seen and read good things about the Avon's and apart from Mr Adie who loooooves his Avon 3D XM's  :008:, has anyone else tried these?

I ride mostly on the road in the dry all year round if possible, with occasional track days where i can manage to wobble around at the bottom of the inter group on a good day. Being of an age where i have ridden on some truly terrible tyres (Michelin Macadam's, Dunlop D204's, Metzeler Renntec's) and knowing that today's development on grip and longevity is light years ahead of my humble talents, not having the latest hot snot tyre doesn't worry me. (I have had some fantastic tyres over the years, the best were the GPRa-Alpha10 Dunlops on my 89 FZR600 - Truly superb tyre that suited the bike like a glove and just gripped and gripped and gripped - S*** in the cold and wet but poetry in the warm dry weather and truly amazing at the track) - Sorry :006: Reminiscing

So, who out there has tried the Avons and what were they like?

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Avon 3D Ultra Evo Tyres
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:35 AM
*Originally Posted by ninja365 [+]
Hi all

so have been having a look around at some options. Have seen and read good things about the Avon's and apart from Mr Adie who loooooves his Avon 3D XM's  :008:

Now, what on earth makes you think that, I wonder?   :008:

If no-one responds I'm hoping you'll take a punt on the Avons - especially given what you say - and let us all know how they work out for you.  Please.   :028:

p.s. I was enjoying your reminiscences!

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 12:50:26 PM

Well Just for you Adie, heres some more reminiscing.........

First Bike - GPZ600R with Avon Super Venoms, front used to understeer into fast corners  :005:
ZX6R when they first came out in 1995, BT50's not great, then D207's which i liked, Metzeler Sportec's which i didn't and then Pirelli Dragon's which were good.
ZX7R came with D207GP's, bloody awesome tyre with a triangular shape, then normal D207's, Pirelli Dragon's & MEZ3's which i did trackdays on........
ZX10r oe D204's terrible, horrible tyres. Michelin Pilot 2CTs transformed the bike  :037:  132mph in second on the limiter, fun fun fun.
FZR600 (same time as ZX10r) came with BT90s which were okay (18" Rear wheel so tyre choices limited) then the Dunlop GPRa-Alpha10's which were magic  :001: Wore out toe sliders on right SIDI boot after a day on track.... oh the memories  :002:
ZX636 B1 (sold ZX10 and FZR) - Metzeler M1's okay, More Pirelli Dragons, then several sets of Metzeler M3's which coped fine everything i threw at them including track days. Currently wearing Bridgestone S20's which are superb once warmed up and seem to suit the bike really well, mildly molested with gives 120bhp at the rear wheel  :007:
ZXR750 (short term) - Bike came with Michelin Macadams which was oversized on the rear - Evil hateful tyres replaced Michelin Pilot Powers, good tyre and were cheap.
CBR600r - More Pilot Powers as Demon Tweeks were selling them cheap as chips so put them on my brothers CBR which i had stored in my garage with the keys......  :008: :007:
Street T 2011 - oe Fitment Bridgestone BT-016 barely legal in the middle and full tread on the sides! seemed okay but S20's on the ZX massively better - Currently wearing Metzeler M5's with 2.5mm left so will it be Avon Ultra Evo's next ?????

Watch this space........

Offline Joe Public

• Street Triple Member
  • City / Town: Essex
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:15:37 PM
I have 3D XMs on my RS.
The middle of the rear after 3,000 miles is still as good as new tbh

The outside not so much.
Sport touring tyre so not really what I use my bike for.
But they work well in the corners and that is the most important part.

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:47:01 PM

So in the search to find some 3D Ultra Evos and to understand the different tyres on sale from Avon, i dropped them a line over the weekend and received the following back today:-

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry.
Our 3D Ultra Sport range has been replaced with our 3D Ultra Evo range and we no longer produce the supersport range.
From your enquiry, we would recommend the 3D Ultra Evo tyres or 3D Ultra Sport if you can still get hold of them.

Regards
Avon Motorcycle Technical

After scouring around the normal suspects, i have come across a good deal on the previous generation 3d Ultra Sports on 120/70 + 180/55 for 155.00.

Still haven't found the new for 2020 3D Ultra Evo's for under 204 a pair. Have put a call into Bikespeed to see what price they can do and am waiting a call back.

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 10:19:02 PM

So, Avon 3D Ultra Evo's ordered and should be back on the bike for weekend. :028: 220 fitted to loose wheels by a local guy.

Will update on how they feel and how they perform. I dropped Steve Plater a note through Farce-Cook as he did some reviews for Avon back in January but wanted a little more info off the record. He came back with: Good grip, very stable, Tip In very Easy and confidence boosting.

Looking forward to getting back out there!

Offline fraz

• Street Triple Member
  • City / Town: telford
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:44:19 PM
Just switched to ultra evos, 250 quid fitted on my door step. They tip in really nicely and have made the bike feel more agile. Love em

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 08:27:35 PM
*Originally Posted by fraz [+]
Just switched to ultra evos, 250 quid fitted on my door step. They tip in really nicely and have made the bike feel more agile. Love em

What did you have before?

Offline fraz

• Street Triple Member
  • City / Town: telford
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:44 AM
Pilot Road 4's

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
*Originally Posted by ninja365 [+]
So, Avon 3D Ultra Evo's ordered and should be back on the bike for weekend. :028: 220 fitted to loose wheels by a local guy.

Will update on how they feel and how they perform. I dropped Steve Plater a note through Farce-Cook as he did some reviews for Avon back in January but wanted a little more info off the record. He came back with: Good grip, very stable, Tip In very Easy and confidence boosting.

Looking forward to getting back out there!

So, quick update on the new Avon's fitted. Only managed about 300 miles since the weather has been pretty rubbish since fitting them.
Pressures: Front 36 / Rear 36 psi.

The tyre doesn't seem to drop in quite as fast as the Metzeler M5's i had before and the does seem to be a little higher which has led to some wear on the rear hugger. They warm up quickly and give confidence when tipping in but having only really ridden in damp and or cold conditions haven't pushed them to the edges yet but the feeling of grip and stability is very noticeable, more so than previous M5's so looking forward to some periods of dry weather when i can get out for a blast. 
Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:46:01 PM by ninja365