Author Topic: 765R front suspension adjustment  (Read 277 times)

Offline neoistheone

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 ST 765R
765R front suspension adjustment
on: July 10, 2020, 09:04:50 PM
So I'm that one guy who bought the R, not the RS. I wanted to have a go at playing with the preload and damping. The rear shock seems accessible. But, while the forks on the R are adjustable, it seems it's impossible to actually adjust them, as the handlebars completely block access to the screws at the top of the forks.

Okay, I can remove the handlebars, but do Triumph really expect people to do that? Handlebars off, one turn, put the handlebars back on, how's it feel, hmmm, okay take them off again, another turn.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

Cheers guys.

Offline Ron1000

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: New street 2021
  • City / Town: Livingston
Re: 765R front suspension adjustment
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:36:48 PM
For pre-load a ratchet spanner is best to not make a mess of the nut.

The screw at the top (rebound? Canít mind now) can be accessed with a small-ish screwdriver at an angle. Itís a faff tho.

I use a wera fine screwdriver thatís kind of bendy (but shouldnít be bent if you know what I mean).

Or a low profile right angled screwdriver might slide under. No tried it tho.
Just Because your breathing Doesn't Mean Your Alive

Online WavyDavy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple 765R
  • City / Town: Fleet
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:30:58 PM
I don't know what year you have but my 2017R came with an adjustment tool under the seat. Its round, about 30mm dia with a knurled edge and a stubby screw driver blade at the centre.
Item 26 here : https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5846050/street-triple-r-from-vin-806646/rear-bodywork-seat.
The trouble is they go missing so maybe you don't have one or it is stuck under the seat in some dark corner.

For pre load I made made an "L" tool from a bent bit of mild steel sheet.

Online WavyDavy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple 765R
  • City / Town: Fleet
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 10:53:29 AM
Took some pics. Top is the pre load adjuster tool I made. Its made from 2mm mildsteel with the working bit shaped and reduced to 1.7mm thick to fit slot in fork.

The lower one is the Triumph tool. The other side has a Triumph logo and a little arrow to indicate how much you have turned it.

Offline neoistheone

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 ST 765R
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 11:05:13 AM
Thanks, looks like my preload adjustment tool is long gone  :006: I think I'll have to try and do something similar. Why couldn't they just put a hexagonal nut on the top like literally all other fork manufacturers?  :087:
I spent ages looking online, a few bikes use these showa forks, and no one seems to have a tool to fit the bespoke six way cross thing.

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:26:56 AM
*Originally Posted by neoistheone [+]
Thanks, looks like my preload adjustment tool is long gone  :006: I think I'll have to try and do something similar. Why couldn't they just put a hexagonal nut on the top like literally all other fork manufacturers?  :087:
I spent ages looking online, a few bikes use these showa forks, and no one seems to have a tool to fit the bespoke six way cross thing.

yeah they tend to fall out of the depression in the seat, it may be in the rear plastics, they aren't very expensive from Triumph, mine lives in the paperwork pack in the house and has never been used LOL. I recently reset the suspension on my RS but just used a long screwdriver to get the the screws on the forks tops.

scandal-fat