Author Topic: Bell Helmet  (Read 289 times)

Offline R88YNR

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2014
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Bell Helmet
on: July 22, 2020, 01:34:24 PM
Recently I decided to purchase a new helmet as I still have the first helmet that I ever bought (only been riding 2 years) and after what I thought was enough research and review watching, I settled on the Bell Star Mips DLX. I really wanted the Protint visor and it having the MIPS technology was an added bonus. However once it had been delivered I soon realized all of the reviews were from the US which gets the Protint visor as standard whereas the rest of the world gets a Class 1 panovision visor with a pinlock and to buy the Protint visor is 200 on top of the 400 helmet. Safe to say gutted was an understatement and I should of maybe spent more time researching properly. So sent it back and got a Shoei GT-Air 2 for 30 more than the cost of the bell as standard.

So i suppose my question is has this happened to anybody else where you think you have done all your research only to miss a glaringly obvious issue?

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
Re: Bell Helmet
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:59:16 PM
Not really. I tend to try and find the "what's in the box" section of the description to clear up any doubt or confirm my thoughts.

I picked up a Schuberth C3 Pro for 290 during lockdown. Took a punt on the sizing but fits great. Well pleased with it - pinlock fitted as standard. Think your Shoei is it's direct competitor.

Offline R88YNR

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2014
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:28:11 PM
Normally I spend too long finding out everything I need to know before I buy something just this one didn't work out that way.  :430:

I had looked at a few different helmets but work paid out a bonus for working during the lockdown so was able to afford the helmet i didn't think I could afford. How has the Schuberth been? I have read alot of good reviews.

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:27 PM
My old helmet was a carbon fibre Shark. The Schuberth is head and shoulders better. Great helmet. Flip lid. Internal sun visor. Pinlock pre-fitted out of the box. Quiet. What's not to like?

The sizing for Schuberth is a little different from the other big name brands. IIRC most are 53 - 54, 56 - 57 etc. Schuberth does 54 - 55, 57  - 58 (or some thing like that). I'm a 55 so tend to be inbetween alot of the brands so a helmet is either way too loose or far too tight, but spot on with the Schuberth sizing.

I'd whole heartedly recommend it. I can see why it viewed very favourably and believe it was the helmet of choice for motorbike coppers.

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:47 AM
You won't go too far wrong with the Shoei GT-Air. Nice lid, one of the quietest on the market. I love my GT-Air (1), I think the only difference between 1 & 2 (other than colours etc) is that they altered/improved the visor opening so that the first "stop/notch" gives you a reduced opening when compared with the earlier version. This first visor stop is something that I didn't pick up on before I bought mine & is my only criticism of the product.

I also considered a Schuberth, but in the end it came down to a feeling that the Shoei was a better fit for my head - which, when all is said and done, is a very important consideration.  :028:

Steve.

Ps. I think I read on here that you can fit the later visor mechanism to the earlier version.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 08:29:24 PM
Yep, the mk2 version visor hinges will fit the gt air 1 version...much smaller first notch opening.