Author Topic: Advanced riding courses: - which are good?  (Read 778 times)

Offline 11CylindersofTriumph

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
  • City / Town: Wattisfield
Advanced riding courses: - which are good?
on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:09 AM
Possibly an odd topic for this forum, but I'll ask it anyway.  Which of the many available advanced rider courses are worthwhile?  There's plenty to choose from (RoSPA, IAM, DVSA etc), but which are any good? As far as I'm concerned, any insurance savings are a billy-bonus; the main objective is to get better at riding.
Any personal recommendations most welcome.
Thanks,

Mike

Offline RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Advanced riding courses: - which are good?
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 11:08:25 AM
Did IAM decades ago and my riding has benefitted ever since. I get the impression that IAM and ROSPA depends a lot on the character of the local groups. Some dominated by GS riding know it alls others much more mixed types and welcoming.

Any Advanced trading will be worthwhile
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:16:32 PM
Like already said IAM is really good makes you think and you will become a better road rider.

I'm East London so joined ELAM and the group here are not dominated by any type of bike. My instructor rides a KTM 1290 superduke and i go out on my RS. Not a GS in sight!
I have heard stories of this but I'm sure its just banta!
"I'm a summertime boy"

Street Triple 765 RS, Daytona 675 Track Bike, Yamaha Tracer 900.

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 07:28:16 PM
Rapid Training

Offline STR JB

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Oxon
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:37:29 PM
A very Very competent Speed Triple friend of mine swears by Rapid Training and does a day with them every year.

Offline sams675

• Street Triple God
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 05:10:04 PM
I am going to recommend Kevin Williams of survival skills.

Loads of experience and I found his cornering course really good

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 06:30:04 PM
I would also recommend Kevin Williams.

The short cornering course is good but his two day advanced course is a real experience. I like the way that you can say if you lack confidence or want to improve any aspect of your riding  and he'll make sure you have time to concentrate on some of those skills especially at sometime during the course.

Having said that, I've been in touch with him recently about going on one of the bends courses and sharing with a friend. I'm really looking forward to it.

If you're not in an area that he travels to I'd try Bikesafe instead. Still very good.

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 675 R
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 07:17:36 PM
There's a whole subforum on Pistonheads dedicated to Advanced driving and there are a couple of threads on BCF about it too.  Some of the threads on the two sites are well worth reading regarding the different approaches/styles of the various courses available.  I was steered towards IAM by my Back2Biking course instructor, but after doing some research I have decided to join my local Roadar/ROSPA group and do their course instead.  Mainly for because of the subtle differences in approach, although it also helps that their meeting point is about 10 moles closer to me.  I do my initial assessment next Monday. After 12 years non-riding, it should prove, erm, interesting...
Cheers, 2

Street Triple 675 R (ABS) 2014, Matte Graphite

Offline Grizzlystriple

• Bike: 2016 ST675R
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:38 PM
Hi,

I went down the IAM route almost 15yrs ago, would definitely recommend.
Makes you think about your riding, how to improve and in the end hopefully makes you a better & safer rider.

I was fortunate to make some good friends whilst doing so and I still ride with them today.....win/win.

Yes it has the stigma of boring old farts on Gss etc but I found that not to be the case, a good cross section of bikes.  No matter what you ride, you will be made welcome (I had a CBR600 at the time)

Doing any further training is always a good idea.

Andy

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 08:49:44 AM
*Originally Posted by twooo [+]
I was steered towards IAM by my Back2Biking course instructor, but after doing some research I have decided to join my local Roadar/ROSPA group and do their course instead.  Mainly for because of the subtle differences in approach,

What are those subtle differences? I thought both based on the same Roadcraft police rider training?

scandal-fat