Author Topic: 24k Service & Valve Clearance Inspection 2014 STR 675 27,670 miles  (Read 376 times)

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
Hey all, I carried out a full 24k service this past weekend and thought some may be interested in my valve clearance measurements.

They were last checked around 15k and have never been adjusted, this time round is exactly the same and the measurements barely moved.

Any the difference measurements between now and then could be down to a few factors; difference in my feel compared to Clive Wood or difference between measuring tools. I used 2 sets of extremely high quality Bluepoint / Snap On feeler gauges which have incredibly fine increments compared to your typical set, IIRC Clive used Wurth feeler gauges.

All the valves are comfortably within the middle range of the specifications so I feel comfortable with skipping the next 12k check, Iíll just carry out the full engine & chassis service.

I forgot to take a photo of the paper with my measurements so I will update the post with a photo if I remember

The only problems I found during the service was very slight play on the rear suspension drag link / dog bone bearings. They were packed full of grease at the first 12k service carried out at 15k and were still full of it, no signs of rust or wear on the sleeves but very slight play was detected when the rear wheel was in free air on an Abba stand and lifting the wheel up by hand with no load on the suspension.

I also changed the fork oil, the oil itself wasnít bad, the first 200ml looked like new oil! As I got to the bottom of the fork oil, quite a lot of wear metals were present and made the oil black. I flushed each fork with around 1.2 litres of new oil and it runs clear with little to no wear metals left. The forks have never been serviced and are still running original seals, never leaked, no signs of deterioration at all so I chose not to change them.

My oil of choice was Motul Factory Line Very Light 2.5 Wt. Iíve looked up several fork oil comparison charts and itís the closest match in viscosity to the factoryís Kayaba (KYB) KHL 15-10. The Motul is also fully synthetic so I hope it slows down and prevents any further wear.

The manual recommends a fork oil change every 24k which I knew was way too long but I only recently decided to buy a fork spring compressor to carry out the job. Any suspension professional / tuner knows the oil is past its best by about 7,000 or 10,000 miles. From now on Iím changing it every 12,000 or 3 years.

A little bit of background of my riding usage and maintenance for context. Iíve owned the bike since it was 2 years old and had a few months of warranty left, it was under 3000 miles and one owner from new, private sale.

I change the oil every 4,000 - 4,500 miles with Castrol Power 1 Racing fully synthetic oil and thatís all Iíve ever run since I changed the oil when I first bought it, I use Hiflofiltro oil filters. I used to use HF204 but for the past 4 or so changes I now use HF204RC because it has a welded nut for easy removal. I use a genuine air filter and standard NGK CR9EK spark plugs.

Oil consumption has always been minimal, usually 100ml+- every 1,200 miles or so. Itís been that way since day one of ownership.

The only performance enhancing modifications I have are a genuine Arrow exhaust with Arrow map and a genuine Triumph quickshifter.

My riding is all fast road riding and touring, zero commuting, occasional 60 - 90mph knee downs. I usually ride around 6,000 - 8,000 a year and my Metzeler M7RR last me 3,700 - 4,000 miles. I donít do wheelies unless it comes up on the throttle, if it does I will hold it up best I can

I hope this is interesting to some of you :028:
Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:22:25 AM by VBui

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Nice work VBui and a helpful, informative write up.    :821:

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Nice work VBui and a helpful, informative write up.    :821:
Thanks, I try to be helpful. It helps when Iím a fully qualified automotive mechanic with tools at hand :038:

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
UPDATE

Valve clearance specifications
Inlet: 0.10-0.20
Exhaust: 0.325-0.375

Current valve clearance

Valve clearance at 15,471

Sorry for the image orientation, Iím not sure how to fix it on the image hosting site :027:

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
*Originally Posted by VBui [+]
UPDATE

Valve clearance specifications
Inlet: 0.10-0.20
Exhaust: 0.325-0.375

Current valve clearance

Valve clearance at 15,471

Sorry for the image orientation, Iím not sure how to fix it on the image hosting site :027:

Should we be more worried about where you might have been sat when you owrote/photographed it?   :008: :007:

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Should we be more worried about where you might have been sat when you owrote/photographed it?   :008: :007:
:008: I was wearing shorts sitting in my study

Offline Triple fan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Thanks for uploading ,some good information there.
I never realised the fork service intervals were so long.

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by Triple fan [+]
Thanks for uploading ,some good information there.
I never realised the fork service intervals were so long.
From what Iíve read, hear and see. Most fork seals donít even last that long!

Also most riders donít even keep the bike until that kinda mileage or it meets an early death :003:

I didnít change my seals as theyíre in great shape and have never weeped any oil. Everything was pristine under the dust seal, no traces of dust or grit. All I do is keep the stanchions clean and occasionally wipe the seals down with silicone spray to protect them from deterioration.

Offline Triple fan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
I'll add a can of silicone spray to the workshop consumables shelf.
My bike's only done 4300 miles but I'll change the fork oil when I do the 6K service