Author Topic: My 14 grey STR  (Read 819 times)

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2014 675 R
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
My 14 grey STR
on: August 08, 2020, 09:25:11 AM
Just thought I'd do a little blog on what I've done to my bike since getting it a couple of months ago.

It came as standard with the following extras:
Powerbronze flysceen
Handlebar-mounted mirrors (originals also supplied)
R&G Handlebar sliders
R&G Paddock stand bobbins
R&G Front fork sliders
R&G Chain guard

One of the first things I did was buy a tail tidy for it.  I got it second-hand cheap from ebay and true to reviews, the paintwork was
pretty shoddy and peeling off.  Fortunately, the paint had been applied REALLY badly, and very easily peeled/sanded off back to the bare metal.  I wanted to keep the extra brake light, so I made a mount for the number plate and brake light to fix to from some 2.5mm steel plate I had lying around and got them both powdercoated by a local fabricators at the end of my road.

And this was the result after fitting and removing the pillion pegs:

Cheers, 2

Street Triple 675 R (ABS) 2014, Matte Graphite

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Re: My 14 grey STR
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
I have also now fitted some Oxford Heated grips ready for winter use and some bling bits, bought from a member on here:

Red billet oil cap
Red billet dipstick
Red billet gear selector lever
Red billet chain adjuster blocks
Evotech front brake/clutch levers

I did the easy bits first, taking the opportunity when the gear linkage was off to take off the sprocket cover and inspect the sprocket, give the cover a good clean out and de-rust and spruce up/give the sprocket nut a bit of ACF50 protection.

Changing the chain adjuster blocks was a bit more of a challenge.  I've never removed a rear wheel before, but armed with my Haynes manual it was fairly straight forward and it gave me the opportunity to completely remove the adjuster bolts, clean them up, reapply fresh copper grease and re-insert them. 
Yeah, now just grease up the wheel bolt and stick it back through!   :008: :008: :008:
With the aid of a ratchet strap, I managed to lift the wheel to the correct position but could I get the brake caliper and mount back into the swingarm recess as well as the pads over the disc AND in line with the swingarm/wheel holes?   Could I bollocks.  that bit took me fricking ages with lots of fiddling, swearing and walking away for 2 minutes.  I'm still not sure how I did it in the end - more luck than judgement, certainly!

Glad I did it though, it gave me a lot of satisfaction and confidence about doing  a lot more DIY servicing on it now.

Pictures of the bling bits to follow....

Cheers, 2

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:27:57 AM
Headless Horsemen...... :027:   :087:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 11:22:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
Headless Horsemen...... :027:   :087:

:305:
Cheers, 2

Offline andro

• Street Triple Master
  • Andro
  • Bike: street triple
  • City / Town: dundee
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:35:07 PM
im one that also always removes his rear foot pegs, opens up the rear great. great add ons that you have done so far

Offline Nelson-STR

• Bike: Street Triple R 2015
  • City / Town: London
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 10:02:55 AM
Lovely bike you have there.

Iíve been toying with the idea of removing the rear pegs, it definitely opens up the bike and look very neat when a tail tidy is installed.

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 07:13:15 PM
Nice mods and good looking triple.
Since you mentioned heated grips for winter use.... Just be aware that by installing the tail tidy (that does not cover the back of the rearwheel) , riding in the wet will cover the back of your jacket up to the rear of your helmet with mud.   Been there... and I installed a slightly longer transparent polycarbonate plate under my licenceplate. I was fed up being completely dirty after arriving somewhere.

If you look close you can see the transparent plate sticking out under the licenceplate in the picture below

geert

Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:21:11 PM by gvy

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 08:07:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Nelson-STR [+]
Lovely bike you have there.

Iíve been toying with the idea of removing the rear pegs, it definitely opens up the bike and look very neat when a tail tidy is installed.

Thanks, yeah I think so.  I didn't even think about removing the rear pegs until I saw it mentioned on here.  Since I won't be taking passengers on it, it seemed pointless having them.  Following Colin Chapman's mantra of Just Add Lightness (ex-Lotus owner you see).

*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Nice mods and good looking triple.
Since you mentioned heated grips for winter use.... Just be aware that by installing the tail tidy (that does not cover the back of the rearwheel) , riding in the wet will cover the back of your jacket up to the rear of your helmet with mud.   Been there... and I installed a slightly longer transparent polycarbonate plate under my licenceplate. I was fed up being completely dirty after arriving somewhere.

If you look close you can see the transparent plate sticking out under the licenceplate in the picture below

geert
Thanks very much.

Mmm, yes.  This did occur to me after I'd faffed around all afternoon fitting it.  I was pretty annoyed with myself for not think about this aspect.  I really can't be bothered to refit the original tail again though, so I will have to just bear it for now.  If it's teeming down, I will be getting the train in to work anyway.  It might have to be a weekly job of washing the jacket and trousers at the same time as cleaning the bike.  Not sure how long that will last though!  The polycarb idea is interesting, I will look into it a bit more.  Yours looks pretty subtle and unobtrusive (about 50mm or so?).  Would anything longer work better or is your length quite sufficent, so to speak.
Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:11:35 PM by twooo
Cheers, 2

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 11:43:31 PM
It does the job,
I still have some water/mud on the back of my luggage on the rearseat, but my jacket and helmet stay clean.
Just give it a try the way it is installed now and if it annoys you, You can still work something out.

My polycarbonate plate sticks out about 60mm , but it all depends on how far it sits to the back over the wheel. The fact it is clear polycarbonate makes it less visual , On the other hand when dirt is slung on it....it becomes more visible of course

It is not that good looking, but in my case it is just a practical choise
20200328_174505 by gvygvy, on Flickr
Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:53:41 PM by gvy

Offline twooo

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 08:50:59 AM
Yep, you're right!  Went out for a Advanced riding lesson yesterday on the wet roads in heavy drizzle.  Came home with a very wet arse, dirty jacket and filthy seat/seat cowl.  Polycarb sheet it is - I really can't be bothered taking off the tail tidy and refitting the original tail again!
Cheers, 2