Author Topic: Engine management fuse (15 amp) keeps blowing  (Read 876 times)

Offline zappa69

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2016
  • City / Town: Bristol
Engine management fuse (15 amp) keeps blowing
on: August 09, 2020, 05:21:34 PM
Hi, 

I'm wandering if anyone has experienced an issue like this before or if anyone has a knowledge of electrical system on 2016 street triple r.

Issue:  Every time I take the bike out for a ride the Engine Management Fuse blows.  I can go on a motorway journey for 30mins or so and its fine, the issue always seems to occur when I'm riding in a built up area where I have to stop at lights and let the engine idle or let the revs drop (below 2,000rpm).  However if i just start the bike up when its on its stand it starts fine and doesn't blow a fuse.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Mat

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Re: Engine management fuse (15 amp) keeps blowing
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 11:00:07 PM
Been musing this. It doesn't make much sense to me.  First thing with everything bike electrical, measure the voltage on battery when running and blipped to see that your charging and regulation are in order.

I'd be tempted to remove the fuse and on current, measure if there is any parasitic loss from that cct.  Not certain the best way to monitor that due to your symptoms and you don't want to ride the bike without fuse protection just over a meter.  But clearly in some circumstances the current draw exceeds 15A.  Does it occur as a spike (momentary short cct) or as some heavy draw occurence.   

I'd be looking under the tank for signs of loom damage  perhaps?

Offline WavyDavy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple 765R
  • City / Town: Fleet
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:04:26 AM
I am not that familiar with 2016 Street's and don't know exactly whats driven off that fuse. From the symptoms you have described the first thing I would look at is the cooling fan circuit. Good luck finding the gremlin.

Offline zappa69

• Topic Author
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 11:03:55 AM
Thanks for the replies gents, appreciate it.  I suppose I should be getting 13.5-15 volts with the engine running at 5k rpm, is that right.  Also how would I determine if it occurs as a spike (momentary short cct) or as some heavy draw occurrence.   

I have tuneecu - could that be used for electrical diag?

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:41:55 AM
Have a look at a wiring diagram to see what else (if anything) is be fed from the same fuse.

I think both of the above suggestions are good places to start at least....

1/ wiring loom chafed or snagged - because your fuses appear to blow randomly?
2/ cooling fan or cooling fan switch - because you have stated that it happens more often in town (when the engine will potentially run hot due to no airflow). Have fuses blown when engine is cooler or warming up?

I'm just basing my input on what has been said, I haven't looked at a wiring diagram to check.

Steve.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline zappa69

• Topic Author
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 07:12:17 PM
Right bit of an update.  I tested the voltage whilst blipping throttle and it goes to just over 14 volts.  However its almost as though it isn't fueling correctly as it either stalls or looses revs after throttle blip?  No fuses are blown at this point and no engine management light??? 

After checking the hoses under the tank - It looks like I may have deformed one of the hoses (not sure what those hoses are for??)  Air return or something ??
Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:58:29 PM by zappa69

Offline zappa69

• Topic Author
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 09:34:14 PM
update - just had major service done and mechanic checked out loom as best he could.  However issue still occurs.  It happened on one occasion where I literally started it and rode for 4secs across the road and the fuse went so engine was def cool at this point (rules out cooling fan switch - I guess).  I've checked all the switches near the battery and noticed that the headlamp switch was dead so I and replacing that.  I guess that couldn't cause the blown fuse??  I've tried looking at the wiring diagram but I cant work out if they are on the same loom or connected in some way??

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:44 PM
I know little, but people have had cable issues around the headstock area as these wires are under strain....maybe do a search on here to look up the old posts
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 07:16:38 AM
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
I know little, but people have had cable issues around the headstock area as these wires are under strain....maybe do a search on here to look up the old posts
I also know, not much, but if you're looking for cable issues in the headstock area look very, very closely. I missed a similar problem by not looking hard enough. Some of my wiring was rubbed through right on inside edge where it all enters the ignition switch. Almost invisible with just a quick look.
On mine (2011 675) it caused all the symptoms of fuse 4 being blown, although the fuse itself was absolutely fine.

Offline zappa69

• Topic Author
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 11:40:01 AM
Thanks Beelady, TomSpurs.  The mechanic has already examined the cabling in the headstock area and re wrapped the it already.  I guess I could remove and recheck. 

As far as I can tell Fuse 4 has wires running only to the following: 

Brown/Pink from Fuse 4 to EMS Relay
Yellow/Grey/Slate to ECM   
Black to ground
Brown/Pink to Cooling fan relay

So if my logic is sound then the issue can only be caused by a short on one of these connections (would be grateful if someone with a greater electrical knowledge could confirm)  If so, I can rule of the Brown/Pink to cooling fan as the fuse has blown after 5 seconds of riding and the the cooling fan relay would not have been engaged at this point??  So therefore only 3 wires to check ????

scandal-fat