Author Topic: Street Triple 85 ECU Flash with custom maps  (Read 502 times)

Offline mushypeas44

• Topic Author
Street Triple 85 ECU Flash with custom maps
on: August 22, 2020, 11:16:40 AM
Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a 2013 Street Triple here in Japan. It's the revised model with underslung exhaust. As some of you may be aware, this particular model was limited to 85hp in Japan since it didn't pass the noise and emissions tests. Since the restrictions were only done by limiting the revs to 10k, and everything is virtually same as in other countries, I was wondering if a ECU reflash would restore the full potential of the bike?

I've already had a chat with the bloke who does MOTs in my area and it won't be a problem for him to let me pass even with higher CO2 and noise levels, he's friendly like that you see.

I've also spoken to my local mechanic, who used to work in a Triumph dealership in the past and according to him this should work, but I thought I'll reach out to the community to see what the opinions are.

I've ridden the bike as is, and, it's great fun anyway, but I can't help thinking about that extra 20 odd bhp...

Has anybody ever attempted anything like that?

Offline Evoboy

Re: Street Triple 85 ECU Flash with custom maps
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:56:40 PM
Id of thought flashing with the stock non restricted map will do the trick

Offline mushypeas44

• Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:20:14 AM
UPDATE

Just FYI or if anyone is ever in the same boat as I was.

It worked the treat! Gosh, that pull around 11,000rpm is something different, I thought I might not need that top end, but now... Oh boy.

Setup used for the re-flash:

OBDLink LX (Bluetooth), TuneECU App on an Android phone, trickle charger to the battery and headlight fuse out. Maps were downloaded from TuneECU website. I used the set for Arrow slip on as I have an aftermarket can. Re-flash took about 15 minutes.

Hope this helps someone one day.

Offline Crossgolf

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2014 street triple
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 12:38:39 PM
Great info for the forum. Glad you enjoy it like it is now. I saw a very big and long exhaust for the japanese models. was yours the same? It was like an extra can behind the normal can.
Crossgolf - contact me if you want to ride in the black forest - Germany.

Offline mushypeas44

• Topic Author
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 09:11:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Crossgolf [+]
I saw a very big and long exhaust for the japanese models. was yours the same? It was like an extra can behind the normal can.

Nope, it was a standard can that you find in the European models. I haven't actually seen anything of that description around here when I was shopping around...