Author Topic: Transporting my Street Triple  (Read 1696 times)

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Transporting my Street Triple
on: September 04, 2020, 02:31:52 PM
Hi,

For some time I have thought about an easy way to transport The Street Triple. Say, I would want to take the bike to Germany or somewhere else behind my Campervan.
I had a simple trailer, that I use for things around the house, but I always found it a bit to high loading platform, so I sold it second hand for 300 and I bought me a new kiptrailer. I dont want a dedicated motorcycle trailer, because most of the time the trailer will be used for other things. So this is my solution.

Brand new trailer that can tilt over 258cm x 130cm inside with jockeywheel and lock : 852
Ramp in 2 pieces made of cableladder and aluplate. All stuff I had lying around. I also made a tilting steadystand.

20200904_135633 by gvygvy, on Flickr

And this is how it works:

To remove or place the ramp in 2 pieces , I only have to undo 2 nuts and lift it of. So done in a split second to transform it from trailer into a motorcycle trailer
Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:33:42 PM by gvy

Offline Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Re: Transporting my Street Triple
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 03:51:13 PM
Nice idea! I'm sure it will help someone out there.

I know you said you didn't want a dedicated trailer but for anyone who did. I use a motolug trailer perfect as no ramp needed as the trailer itself pivots and becomes the ramp.It then lays flat for storage. It can easily be loaded by one person and comes apart (11 pins) for easy storage. It can easily fit in my boot when not in use and lives in the corner of my garage. Unlike you i do not have a lot of space to store a trailer and only use it when i go to the track.

"I'm a summertime boy"

Street Triple 765 RS, Daytona 675 Track Bike, Yamaha Tracer 900.

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 08:31:38 PM
They are handy little things. But they have small  wheels? Are they stable on the highway at higher speed?

Anyway,
Here are some more pictures of my DIY work :
Ones the bike sits in its wheelclamp, it is really stable and ready to strap.

20200904_173701 by gvygvy, on Flickr

And on this picture, you can see that even with the trailer tilted, with the bike in 1st gear it stays stable in the clamp.
The DIY ramp has edges and is just the width of the 180 reartyre.

20200904_173927 by gvygvy, on Flickr

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 09:42:49 PM
Yes, they are very stable at high speed. You don't really know your towing it, such a handy trailer.
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 10:19:42 PM
I admit that motolug is a small handy tool, if space is a problem, but to be honnest, for less money (760Bpd) I have a fully functional 258cm x 130cm tilt trailer, that has  a 1050kg axle and has 155R13 wheels and can be used for lots of other things too.
So for me, for what it offers the motolug is a bit expensive, but hey that's me.

20200903_175738 by gvygvy, on Flickr

20200903_175854 by gvygvy, on Flickr

Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:22:12 PM by gvy

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 09 Street Triple 675
  • City / Town: London/Alps
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 05:55:22 PM
Trailers are a nice solution - but I quickly found they come with some downsides. 

You will be paying higher toll fees on most toll motorways and will have to find somewhere to store the trailer when it is not needed.  Instead I went with a 7 seat Caddy Maxi Life, two folding loading ramps and some decent canyon dancer tie down system straps which can secure bikes firmly to the anchorages in the floor. 

When we head from the Alps to the TT we just leave the 5 rear seats behind and then have just enough space to load a street triple and VFR800 inside together with a heap of luggage and the loading ramps.  Excess luggage goes into a decent roof box and that approach means we have none of the mayhem reversing with a trailer which has a mind of its own. 

The main plus point is no extra toll fees on French motorways and with everything inside you are allowed to travel at full motorway speeds rather than lower ones applying to anyone towing a trailer.  The amusing bit is the weight of the missing 5 passengers and seats which the Caddy is rated to carry is far more than the two motorbikes and all our related gear.

If you are really keen on camping then  you can just unload the motorbikes into a tag on awning beside the van so that you can enjoy a warm and comfy night on a completely flat floor.  Sort of offers the best of both worlds.

Offline TC

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: STR RS
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 09:13:16 PM
Regularly use a trailer to take bikes through France and don't pay any extra at the tolls.....
2020 Street Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt
2017 ZX10R KRT rep

TC Drag Bike

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 11:52:22 PM
Call me crazy, but this summer, during my holiday I constructed a system to load and carry the street triple on the back of my VW California. something like a bicycle rack but for a motorcycle .I welded special clamps and clamped them almost invisible under the campervan on the chassis. And Then I could slip in and secure the construction that would carry the motorcycle, without the use of any tool needed within 1 minute. There was a ramp with the tilting steadystand included (it is the ramps I now use on the trailer.) When all was finished, I loaded the street triple and it looked perfect, but then I got scared.... The idea of driving around with about 230 kg ( bike + construction) so far behind the rear axle of the campervan  didn't seem right so I did not use it. :027:
So then the plan with the trailer was born and I feel more confident with this solution.
Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 12:06:09 AM by gvy

scandal-fat