Author Topic: 2009 675 R fork options  (Read 301 times)

Offline Bexupnorth

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Northallerton
2009 675 R fork options
on: November 26, 2020, 09:29:36 PM
Hey gang,

The stanchions on my 2009 R are buggered and I can't get the caliper brackets off in order to get them rechromed.

There are precious few options on eBay and I really don't want to spend nearly 600 on new items. I was wondering if forks from anything newer might work or if a standard (non-R) has tappings to take the R adjustments

Thanks in advance.

Ade

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Re: 2009 675 R fork options
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:14:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Bexupnorth [+]
Hey gang,

The stanchions on my 2009 R are buggered and I can't get the caliper brackets off in order to get them rechromed.

There are precious few options on eBay and I really don't want to spend nearly 600 on new items. I was wondering if forks from anything newer might work or if a standard (non-R) has tappings to take the R adjustments

Thanks in advance.
Ade

Hi Ade,

I had my forks rebuilt and rechromed by MCT suspension on a 2010 non R ST, i know he has some clever tricks to split the stancheons away from the lowers as they are renown for being difficult to remove. Maybe get him to do the the whole job?. A full rebuild including getting the stancheons hard rechromed and the inners re-engineered with uprated springs and set up for my weight cost just under 600. Yes its a lot of money but the feeling on the front is totally different and very confidence inspiring.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 06:27:46 AM
I would think that the R version forks from any 2008 - 2017 675R will fit. Also the Daytona forks will fit (but not the Daytona R version as the diameter on one section is larger and the brakes are Brembo with different mounting centres). Be careful on the Daytona forks as they may be shorter overall and will change your handling PLUS the springs will prob need changing as too hard for road use.
Another option would be to fit the 765 R or RS forks, but you will need the brake callipers as they both are Brembo too, along with new made up hoses.
If you can get the stanchions off, Ebay have some aftermarket chrome legs from a number of suppliers.

Note: The non R stuff won't take your brake calipers so dont bother going that route
Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:29:51 AM by Tomspurs
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Bexupnorth

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Northallerton
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 12:35:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke to the guys at Brookes suspension who were super helpful but they reckon it's a swine of a job with a pair of Street triple forks currently being machined to separate bracket from stanchion. I'll try MCT, but before I do I'm going to try one last thing seeing as the stanchions are now toast! I'll let you know how I get on.

For reference mine have gone in a "spoon" shaped patch at the front of both the forks, which has a bronze coloured patch, inside of which the stanchion appears to be "crazed". Can't get a decent pic of it, but a lot of those on eBay seem to be similar.

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 01:22:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Bexupnorth [+]
Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke to the guys at Brookes suspension who were super helpful but they reckon it's a swine of a job with a pair of Street triple forks currently being machined to separate bracket from stanchion. I'll try MCT, but before I do I'm going to try one last thing seeing as the stanchions are now toast! I'll let you know how I get on.

For reference mine have gone in a "spoon" shaped patch at the front of both the forks, which has a bronze coloured patch, inside of which the stanchion appears to be "crazed". Can't get a decent pic of it, but a lot of those on eBay seem to be similar.

the 'bronze' patch you can see is probably Nickel as chrome needs a base layer. The actualy chrome is really really thin.

scandal-fat