Author Topic: 2020 Headlights - UK v EU spec  (Read 919 times)

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple R Low
  • City / Town: London/Alps
2020 Headlights - UK v EU spec
on: October 16, 2020, 08:23:40 PM
Sorry for a complex question - I am thinking of exporting a UK 2020 spec 765 R to France as they are still virtually impossible to find on the other side of the channel, with long delays for new bike orders.

If I have to buy replacement headlights it probably makes just waiting for a new bike delivery slot the better option.  I guess it may be obvious if they have different part numbers - so I thought someone on here may already know. 

Videos of the 2020 spec bikes seem to show that unlike the earlier 675 models, normally only one dipped beam bulb is lit up - the one nearest the centre line of the road, but with both headlights lit in main beam mode.  This suggests the headlights used in the UK and EU are in fact the same, and that Triumph have simply got around the issue of which side to send the dipped beam light by ensuring that power only flows to the relevant dipped beam bulb.  I guess by avoiding the need to produce and stock two separate parts has helped keep down the cost. 

If so I may be able to avoid buying new headlights by simply swapping over the headlight cables so that power flows to the other dipped beam bulb which presumably it is already set up with a dipped beam pattern to light up signs on the other side of the road.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: 2020 Headlights - UK v EU spec
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:22 AM
I would have thought that the beam itself is directed to the left OR right for whichever country you are in. Switching the cables won't sort this...well, not IMO as I don't know for sure. The reflector bit inside must be different. You could phone Triumph Technical for the part numbers you need / more info  :027: .... or just buy a second hand set from a "right" side drive country bike 
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:45:39 AM
I can't fault your logic on the the question of whether or not simply exchanging wiring connections would light what would be a 'nearside' lamp for the continent ..... BUT ..... I've always thought that the dip beam spread is governed by the lens/glass pattern more than the position of the lamp unit.   That's why you can get those stick on converter things for taking your car abroad.   If that is the case and you make the physical wire change, then you will simply have a light that illuminates the off side from the nearside of the bike - -surely the worst possible outcome?

I might be wrong - often am - it could be entirely different for motorcycles.    I'd agree with Tomspurs that confirming the proposal with Triumph technical is the most practical approach.

Be interested to know the outcome, though!  :002:

Regards,

Adie

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple R Low
  • City / Town: London/Alps
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:18:49 PM
Adie

I have now managed to track down the part numbers for the UK and French 2020 Street Triple 765 R headlights and sure enough they are the same!

https://www.pieces-triumph.com/triumph-moto/Street%20Triple/765/street-triple-r/PHARE/120/10011856027/0/120

It does look like swapping over the headlight dipped beam wiring is all that is needed to adapt a UK bike for mainland EU use.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:38:02 AM
*Originally Posted by MeLostNever [+]
Adie

I have now managed to track down the part numbers for the UK and French 2020 Street Triple 765 R headlights and sure enough they are the same!

https://www.pieces-triumph.com/triumph-moto/Street%20Triple/765/street-triple-r/PHARE/120/10011856027/0/120

It does look like swapping over the headlight dipped beam wiring is all that is needed to adapt a UK bike for mainland EU use.

Hey MLN!   Gotta love it when a plan comes together .......  :001:

That's really quite surprising but very useful to know.   I imagine it should be possible to find a connector block somewhere to just swap over the feed and job's a good 'un!

scandal-fat