Author Topic: Quiet helmet?  (Read 5852 times)

Offline Typhon219

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 R
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Quiet helmet?
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:02:34 AM
I think itís not a simple as buying a quiet helmet. I had a Shark RSR2 which is a sport/race helmet so isnít made for noise reduction and it was very quiet. I then had a Shoei Qwest which is supposed to be quiet helmet and it sucked. Went back to a Shark Race R Pro and itís much better, though not as good as the RSR2.

Point being the Sharks suited my head shape better which helped with wind noise. Some people will find a helmet quiet when you it find noisy because it fits them better.

When Iím buying Iím sure to check itís designed for intermediate oval heads because thatís my shape. Iíll work on reducing noise separately with ear plugs, neck draft excluders and the position of my wind screen if Iím using it. Mainly ear plugs because thatís easier and theyíre cheap.

Sportsbikeshop seem to be offering a try before you buy type service on some helmets. I know their Leeds shop does but I donít know if they have a store closer to you with the service. Might be worth checking.

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 09:53:23 AM
*Originally Posted by morebeanz [+]
I am a big fan of the Shoei NXR. It was apparently designed for naked bikes, and they added an extra shell size so that you didn't get the bobble head look - the shell size is obviously what impacts the drag and noise too.

Me too I currently have 2 ( I always like to have spare) they suit me and are all day comfy as as you say they shell size isn't excessive for the size.

Offline NickOfNorfolk

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street triple rx
  • City / Town: Norwich
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 10:14:25 AM
Thanks all for the advice, I think best bet is to go somewhere and try a variety of brands on and find which is best.
Problem is with this COVID thing is that a couple of shops Iíve visited either arenít allowing trying on or once they have been they have to be Ďquarantinedí and thereís none on the shelves.

Offline xpantz

• Bike: Street Triple RS
  • City / Town: Canberra
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 11:27:46 AM
The only way to really know is to go for a ride... unfortunately.

I have 2 Shark Spartan helmets.  Identical, except one has a CF outer shell and is about 100g lighter.  The CF version has "double" the wind noise.

When you try helmets on, pay attention to how they seal around your neck.  Pretty sure that's where a lot of the noise sneaks in.
Bikes: 2020 Street Triple RS - 2020 Superduke GT - 2019 CRF450L

Offline stikflote

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: street triple765 R l
  • City / Town: derbyshire
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 09:20:16 PM
I wear earring aids so ,cant really use ear plugs , i wouldn't be able to hear anything.

Offline phil m

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2017 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Bolton
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2020, 08:44:12 PM
Hello Nick , i have the GT Air 1 and have been really pleased with it , comfort , weight , quiet , and especially the drop down visor , its superb when you turn straight into the sun and you get instant sunglasses ! If i was buying a new helmet , it would be the GT Air 2 , ive been so impressed with the 1 . Only thing i would opt for though is having a double D ring fitted when i ordered it ( believe its about £40 extra ) as the standard helmet comes with a ratchet strap , ok if you dont mind them , but not for me . The way i look at it mate is yeah , a helmet can be expensive , but you dont buy one every day , and after all , its your head 👍

Offline NickOfNorfolk

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 06:29:43 PM
Well folks,
Yesterday I managed to spend a good couple of hours in my local Ďinfinity motorcycleísí Shop, trying on helmets from nearly every manufacturer.

I finally went with a HJC I70 helmet as they fitted my head the best, but Iíl list some that I tried on and give my thoughts for those who may also be considering a new Lid.

HJC
C70- very plush feeling interior for the money, Felt more comfortable than a few lids twice the money! However visor aperture very small, like peering through a letter box! Did have quite a big nose guard which could have been removed and made a bit better, Quite heavy. Fitted my head perfectly. £100ish

I70- similar to the c70 but better in every area, bigger aperture, drop down sun visor that actually is decently tinted and goes down a long way, almost to the nose guard. Easy to find and use vents, visor catch and sun visor leaver. Managed to get one on sale in the colour I liked. £129 bargain

F70- an odd lid, huge visor with a strange Ďví cut out at the bottom but a huge nose/breath guard that seems to take up a lot of the big aperture it has. Comfy, but not noticeably more than the cheaper ones. Really poor helmet visor catch as well due to the funny shaped visor, it wouldnít fully lock down and stay in the latch/cracked position. £200ish

RPHA 70/11- tried both of these on, very impressed. Very comfortable interior, brilliant visor and venting, great aperture and fitted my head brilliantly, however none were on sale and they were more than double the price of the I70 I also liked, perhaps a future lid. Itís only problem is theyíre in the same price range as Arai and Shoei, and many bikers wonít choose a HJC over them.

Scorpion-
Pretty sceptical about these as they arenít well known as some of the others but Chris Walker uses them so I tried a couple on. Comfy cheek pads but I found the brow dug into my forehead, I tried different sizes but none came up well. Similar fit to Shoei? Looked like good value.

AGV-

K6- Been using an AGV k3 SV up until now so was interested to try on the new k6. Very light, like extremely light. Popped on the same size I use now, ride size head but way too much play in the cheek pads. Tried on a size smaller and could barely get it on my head! Huge gap between size S and MS.
I tried on a new k3sv and was nearly the same, I realised maybe I hadnít been using the right helmet for a while and AGV doesnít fit my head shape! Also huge offer, the ones they had were down to £199 from £399. Great visor, vents, but lining not that comfy (sacrificing comfort for lightness).

Arai-

Chaser X- had a chaser V years ago, loved the quality but not the noise. A small was a good fit, but not as comfy as the HJC, the best visor apertureís Iíve seen yet on Araiís so great there, also I know the vents work well. Only thing that put me off was the wind noise I know they have and lack is sun visor. £300-£400

Profile V- very similar to the chaser, slightly lighter but has a very fiddly new visor latch system, I definitely recommend trying that before you buy, I couldnít open the visor once I pulled it down! Comfy and similar fit to HJC but nowhere near as comfy as the RPHA line.
£299 sale

Shoei-

NXR- lining felt comfy but again had problems with it digging into my brow with the right size. Good quality but wasnít comfortable for me.

GT Air 2- the one I was excited about trying on. Alas, not for me. (The other half was also relived as they are a wee bit expensive)
Lovely comfy interior, very light, good sun visor but the fit just wasnít for me.

After trying a couple of other I wonít even bother mentioning, I settled on the HJC I70 as I found it the best balance of comfort, features and price. I was extremely happy and surprised to find that they fit me the best, and that expensive helmets arenít always better!
Great service from infinity as well, a very helpful lady let me try on a massive range and I was there for a good couple of hours too. A lot of places arenít letting you try on anything at the moment so top marks to them, will definitely return.
Cheers for the input folks, and of course pics to follow 😁👍👍

Offline NickOfNorfolk

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 06:50:19 PM
Hereís a few photos, the missus has popped out so i can take my ĎXmas presentí out for a photo shoot  :001: :001: nothing like new lid day, will give feedback what itís like on the bike when Iím allowed it  :037: :037: