Author Topic: Rear tyre advice  (Read 841 times)

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Rear tyre advice
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 02:19:43 PM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
I think you'll find all those answers relate to car tyres so I'm believing Continental who were talking specifically about bikes YMMV

Can't argue with you on that!   :028:

I'd guess there's a difference in contact patch dimensions between upright and at lean angles but I don't know whether or how this affects or is affected by tyre size. 

I think it remains true, though, that it's not a good idea to deviate from the manufacturer's recommendations for sizes.

Offline Ron1000

• Street Triple Master
  • City / Town: West Lothian
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 03:51:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Backtobikes [+]
Slight egg on my face just checked its 190/50.When I did my research and set my sights on the strs I didnt check tyre sizes. I never have or would entertain fiting an incorrect tyre size to a bike. To be fair buying it from a dealer just having had a new set of tyres no reason to suspect anything was wrong. I only realised because I was doing a bit of tyre research.
When they reopen after lockdown gonna go to the dealers and have a chat with them.
One final point when I had the bike a couple of months it went to a triumph dealer for an annual service 260 for an oil change (feel I payed over the top there)and for them to check the bike whilst it was still under warranty and they gave it a clean bill of health.

Egg the dealers face Id say. Youll be right as soon as you get a hold of them. The triumph boys probably never look at the size of tyre, a look for cuts and damage but homing in on text detail on the side probably isnt normal practice Id think.

Always remember could be be worse. I smoked a dash at 915 a go.  :430:
Ride and Destroy

Street Triple RS, Monster 1100 Evo, VFR800Fi (Donkey), R6 (Track Bike).

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 05:54:04 PM
Slight egg on my face just checked its 190/50.When I did my research and set my sights on the strs I didnt check tyre sizes. I never have or would entertain fiting an incorrect tyre size to a bike. To be fair buying it from a dealer just having had a new set of tyres no reason to suspect anything was wrong. I only realised because I was doing a bit of tyre research.
When they reopen after lockdown gonna go to the dealers and have a chat with them.
One final point when I had the bike a couple of months it went to a triumph dealer for an annual service 260 for an oil change (feel I payed over the top there)and for them to check the bike whilst it was still under warranty and they gave it a clean bill of health.

Well, that makes the difference even smaller. Your bike will drop the full 4mm in the back .....
At 100mph , the speed difference on the speedometer will be less then 1,3mph . ( I don't even think the speedometer is that accurate .) At 50mph it is only 0,6mph. Would you ever notice ?
I am no fan of deviating from the OEM tire measures, but what you have here is no issue at all. If this is a good tire brand and type (I can't say anything about that) I would gladly keep them . You do not have to worry.

That said : Your bike has a 5,5 x 17 cast wheel. Ideal the OEM 180 55 17 tire is fitted on a 5,5 or 6 rim and a 190 50 17 tire is fitted on a 6 or 6,5 rim , but 5,5 is no problem . It is just not optimal .
You should even understand that between tire branches there even can be a real difference in width between 180 tires

(This is what I should do , but I accept any other opinion here  :028: , I just do not want you to worry to much about it)
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:10:43 PM by gvy

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 07:00:35 PM
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
I am no fan of deviating from the OEM tire measures, but what you have here is no issue at all.

Well that's not what Continental say but who are they to give advice  :112:

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 07:40:05 PM
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
Well that's not what Continental say but who are they to give advice  :112:

Please Tim , You act as I say stupid things. This is a little short and it disappoints me a bit on this usually friendly forum. I have given accurate information in answer to the question with data about the % difference and speedmeasurement deviation and all and even about what tire should fit on what rim .The topic starter can use this information to make a decision and he can use it if he decides to go back and ask another 180 tire
I was very clear about the fact that it is not the preferred choice  and the fact it is not the optimal choice . I tried to be as informative as possible ,without criticizing the other opinions. Infact I even stated I accepted every other opinion, so I was not even remotely defending a point here.
I am just trying to comfort the topic starter, that whatever choice he will make, there is no real danger or issue in using this tire. Infact this is not so uncommon that a 190 tire is used on a 5.5 rim. And even in his first post , the topicstarter says  "the bike rides fine and handles well"
 The bike may behave a little less nimble/quick in changing from left to right, but feel a bit more stable coming out of the corner at speed, but even with using different types and profiles of 180 tires this can happen.
Anyway, I will do my best to not interfere anymore. :027:
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:01:23 PM by gvy

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 09:59:48 PM
Email the seller now so you have got your concerns logged and dated. I would be asking them to change the tyre for the correct size and NOT offering to pay anything if they fitted it. If they didn't fit it, it will be your problem to sort I feel. I would have it changed either way it if it were mine but that's just me
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 10:42:15 AM
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Please Tim , You act as I say stupid things. This is a little short and it disappoints me a bit on this usually friendly forum. I have given accurate information in answer to the question with data about the % difference and speedmeasurement deviation and all and even about what tire should fit on what rim .The topic starter can use this information to make a decision and he can use it if he decides to go back and ask another 180 tire
I was very clear about the fact that it is not the preferred choice  and the fact it is not the optimal choice . I tried to be as informative as possible ,without criticizing the other opinions. Infact I even stated I accepted every other opinion, so I was not even remotely defending a point here.
I am just trying to comfort the topic starter, that whatever choice he will make, there is no real danger or issue in using this tire. Infact this is not so uncommon that a 190 tire is used on a 5.5 rim. And even in his first post , the topicstarter says  "the bike rides fine and handles well"
 The bike may behave a little less nimble/quick in changing from left to right, but feel a bit more stable coming out of the corner at speed, but even with using different types and profiles of 180 tires this can happen.
Anyway, I will do my best to not interfere anymore. :027:

Geert.   I can understand you being a bit upset at the implicit "tone" of Tim's response but, from a very personal perspective, I would ask that you don't, please, consider ANY of your input - past, present or future - to be seen as 'interfering'.   The responses and information that you and I have provided on this issue might be seen and read as very different but I'm sure the original poster will see them as points of view based on represented fact and will make his own mind up on a course of action to follow based on those facts.   

Please don't think that your very valuable input is in any way seen as "interfering" and don't ever be afraid to provide your views, your facts and your experiences on ANY topic.  We won't all agree on all of the views all of the time, but that's all part of the rich tapestry ... as the saying goes!

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't ... please all the people all of the time

Regards,

Adie

Offline Backtobikes

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Tst 765 rs
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 11:17:54 AM
Hey guys thanks for all your input much appreciated. Have e mailed the dealers waiting for a reply. The thing is whilst I've done nearly a thousand miles and the bike has handled like a dream now I know somethings not right I have that nagging doubt which I dont want when riding. So I will be changing the tyre to reccomended size whether it be at my cost or the dealers.

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 12:47:02 PM
Hey guys thanks for all your input much appreciated. Have e mailed the dealers waiting for a reply. The thing is whilst I've done nearly a thousand miles and the bike has handled like a dream now I know somethings not right I have that nagging doubt which I dont want when riding. So I will be changing the tyre to reccomended size whether it be at my cost or the dealers.

I must say that the "nagging doubt" would eventually get to me as well.  :001:

Steve.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 01:47:33 PM
Trouble is you don't know the limit until you get to it and it's too late, unless you're Marquez.

And money is the bottom line for dealers - some would fit a moto-x tyre and tell you it was fine if it was lying around.

scandal-fat