Author Topic: New Member... Old Biker  (Read 413 times)

Offline LuckyChris

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 STR
  • City / Town: Abingdon
New Member... Old Biker
on: January 12, 2021, 05:10:50 PM
Hi all, new member here. Back to bikes for the first time in 9 years or so (thanks to kids) and I've bought a 2015 Street Triple R. Which was in mint condition, until I slid off it at low speed.

Yes, already. Second time out, in fact. Thanks to brand new tyres, 4 degree weather and a nice dollop of what smelt like washer fluid on the roundabout. Ah, well, could have been worse - no cars hit me or the bike. Still, I don't bounce as well as I did when I was younger!

So, I've already met the local Triumph dealer, nice blokes. They got me my new indicator and rear brake pedal nice and quickly. Now just need to get them fitted, buy the entire R&G catalogue of protection, and wait for the sun to come out. Time to plug in the battery optimiser and leave it until April...

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: New Member... Old Biker
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:49 PM
*Originally Posted by LuckyChris [+]
Hi all, new member here. Back to bikes for the first time in 9 years or so (thanks to kids) and I've bought a 2015 Street Triple R. Which was in mint condition, until I slid off it at low speed.

Yes, already. Second time out, in fact. Thanks to brand new tyres, 4 degree weather and a nice dollop of what smelt like washer fluid on the roundabout. Ah, well, could have been worse - no cars hit me or the bike. Still, I don't bounce as well as I did when I was younger!

So, I've already met the local Triumph dealer, nice blokes. They got me my new indicator and rear brake pedal nice and quickly. Now just need to get them fitted, buy the entire R&G catalogue of protection, and wait for the sun to come out. Time to plug in the battery optimiser and leave it until April...

Hey LuckyChris!  Hello, good evening and a very warm  :401:  to the net's best for all things Street Triple! 

I initially read your introduction to mean that the kids had bought you the bike - now THAT would have been lucky!  :008:

Not so lucky with the slide, though, eh?  Sorry to hear about that - definitely time to get that stable door bolted with some crash bung protection.  It is, of course, a  matter of personal choice but I'd suggest buying case cover protectors and would also suggest that the GB Racing covers are (IMHO) a rather nicer design than the R&G ... and I think you can still get a worthwhile discount if you buy them from forum member Bel - maybe send a personal message to enquire if it's something he still does?

Hopefully we can get some way clear of this pandemic before April and can all look forward to some better days and some safe riding!

Good to have you on board ...... but try to keep the shiney side up, eh?

Regards,

Adie

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:13:57 PM
Oops Old Biker or better Less luckyChris.
You did not have a good restart. Don't let it discourage you. You will find out , a street triple is a very rewarding bike to ride.
I do not wait until April. Whenever the sky is a bit clear and the roads a bit dry, I take it out in winter. It helps me to clear my mind once in a while.

I really hope the bike is not to hardly damaged and even more , the old bones and muscles recover well. All the best and welcome

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:05:54 PM
Welcome to the forum unluckychris. Get the Triumph protection kit, I think you will find the prices very competitive. GB is just as good, but i'd stay clear of that R&G stuff as I don't like it....my opinion that's all.
P.S. I'm surprised you haven't done more damage to the bike, so you got off lightly there...well done  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline LuckyChris

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 STR
  • City / Town: Abingdon
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:48:20 AM
Thanks to all for the notes. I was actually lucky - the bike had R&G bar ends and fork protectors fitted. They obviously need replacing, along with the indicator and brake pedal, but other than that, I have a slight scuff on the crank cover and on the exhaust and that's about it. I was only doing about 20 mph when it happened, which I must admit, has knocked my confidence in the tyres. I can take some slight solace in the fact that there was something on the road - a car stopped, having seen it happen, and the lady couldn't believe what had happened as I clearly "wasn't cocking around" (her words). We had a look and saw a nice slippy patch of something right in the cracks of the road, where I'd been going round the roundabout...

But I still can't wait to get out on the bike again. I'm getting towards 50, and need to enjoy things other than work and lockdown! I'll get the bike mint again in time. No rush, I intend to have this one for a few years...

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:14:58 PM
Roundabouts favorite tipple is a little drop of diesel some time during the day....usually delivered by lorry, so they say.  :027:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline ninja365

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Norwich
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 08:16:11 PM
*Originally Posted by LuckyChris [+]
Thanks to all for the notes. I was actually lucky - the bike had R&G bar ends and fork protectors fitted. They obviously need replacing, along with the indicator and brake pedal, but other than that, I have a slight scuff on the crank cover and on the exhaust and that's about it. I was only doing about 20 mph when it happened, which I must admit, has knocked my confidence in the tyres. I can take some slight solace in the fact that there was something on the road - a car stopped, having seen it happen, and the lady couldn't believe what had happened as I clearly "wasn't cocking around" (her words). We had a look and saw a nice slippy patch of something right in the cracks of the road, where I'd been going round the roundabout...

But I still can't wait to get out on the bike again. I'm getting towards 50, and need to enjoy things other than work and lockdown! I'll get the bike mint again in time. No rush, I intend to have this one for a few years...

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you slid off, it happens to the best of us  :003:, i've done it twice in under a year. I have to second Adie's comment about engine covers from GB racing as they top class and had my scuffed one replaced under warranty. My 2011 ST is now proudly wearing all the protection it can get and i've got RG Bar ends too.

Maybe i should get stabilisers too? :027:

Out of interest, what tyres is the bike fitted with?, are they running the correct pressures???

Joe.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 11:28:43 AM
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
Roundabouts favorite tipple is a little drop of diesel some time during the day....usually delivered by lorry, so they say.  :027:

Absolutely right about the diesel on roundabouts and, although it's not such a common problem as it "used to was" thanks to improved standards around fuel tank caps, it IS still  a problem and can & should be reported.  Most councils (perhaps all?) have facilities to enable online or telephone reporting of known or suspected diesel spills and will usually get a team out to investigate pretty quickly.

The common 'telltale' for a diesel spill is the rainbow/iridescent sheen that's usually visible.  Diesel doesn't evaporate anything like as quickly as petrol so remains a danger to cyclists and motorcyclists for a much longer period and, of course, if it's on a roundabout a motorcycle is far more likely to be leaned over at point of contact.

Anyway, the point is, if you suspect diesel it is ALWAYS worth reporting the suspicion to a local council or a motoring organisation (AA or RAC)  as you may actually save a fellow biker or a cyclist from a similarly unpleasant experience.

My two penn'orth.

Regards,

Adie

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:49 PM
Hey Chris and welcome from me too. Unlucky about the off. 2 new tyres in low temperatures is bad enough without the diesel or coolant. Glad it was minor and you're ok.

I messed up an engine cover (only paint) by dropping it while bump starting on new year's day a few years ago on a Street meet in an icy car park. PJ1 satin black is a good match although can be hard to get. I then shut the stable door as Adie put it, by getting GB Racing covers. They're good and solid.

There has been some talk of the heat buildup behind engine covers leading to alternator coils failing or degrading, leading to a drop in charging voltage. I honestly don't know if that's a real worry but the source was respected.
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
…and some pedally ones as well!