Author Topic: Engine Blown  (Read 1538 times)

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple R Low
  • City / Town: London/Alps
Re: Engine Blown
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:44:24 PM
WOW - At first sight this thread seems likely to be of wide interest to riders of 765 models. So however this pans out please find time to come back and provide an update on how this was resolved.

The elephant in the room is what actually killed the engine?  Do you know?

Without knowing precsiely what happened/what components failed in your engine, people on this forum have no way of assessing whether or not your experience raises issues for other 765 owners.

I agree that "in theory" provided a bike is serviced completely in accordance with the Triumph service manual - the choice of who does the work should not affect its longevity.  However when it comes to liabilities spelled out in a contract then it really is caveat emptor.  If the contract says dealer serviced and you chose not to pay their potentially higher fees, then sadly you are on very shaky ground.

The big problem with opting to use non franchise services is that regardless of your past experiences Triumph are only able to be confident of, and underwrite, work which is done by their franchise network.

As you are outside the 2 year warranty period I suspect the sooner you seek advice from the Triumph dealer you bought it from and arrange for them to assess the problem, the better chance Triumph might consider contributing something towards fixing the bike. 

In this instance I am not sure dropping it off with the independent garage is going to help your cause much.  Supplying and fitting a new engine will not be cheap, so it really is worth looking at this from both sides - sort of playing devils' advocate.

On the one hand - You chose to use an independent so -  are you sure that if it transpires they stuffed up something during service work, they will be willing to acknowledge it was their mistake and pick up the tab, and just as importantly they have no incentive to discretely mask any faults with their work which might be revealed if they are allowed to dive in and dismantle the engine unsupervised.

On the other hand - Triumph have a reputation to protect.  They will not be happy to see reports of a catastrophic engine failure posted on a forum like this (which will never disappear from future google searches). So that is why, even if the bike is outside the 2 year warranty period, you stand a far better chance of getting some contribution from Triumph if a franchise dealer is given the chance to examine the bike first hand (before anyone else has had the opportunity to alter/hide factors which might have been material).  Inherently if this reveals some  flaw with a component (or batch of components) in your engine then Triumph will be very keen to figure out what they need to do to prevent it occuring with other engines.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

MLN

Offline runningman

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Bedfordshire
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 03:29:17 PM
Think I'd be quoting the Sales of Goods Act and "not being fit for purpose" regardless of it being no longer in warranty.

I'd definitely have it back at a Triumph dealer, as that will give you a better chance of a more favourable outcome.

Good luck.
Street Triple 675 R (ABS) 2013, Matte Graphite

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
  • City / Town: London
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 04:40:28 PM
*Originally Posted by gmercer1 [+]
Evening all hope everyone is well.
Just looking for a bit of advice really and wondered if any had any knowledge.
I have a 2018 Street triple r that is 3 years old in March. Anyway to cut a long story short the engine has blown up for no apparent reason. It has 11000 miles on it and decided to die on the motorway.
I emailed the dealer to ask how long the warranty was on an engine and they replied saying itís lifetime warranty as long as the bike is serviced at a main dealer.
I do have the bike serviced all at correct intervals but with a mechanic I know and trust who uses Triumph parts etc.
Do I have a leg to stand on in this situation or is it tough cookie because I didnít let a main dealer service it?
Had a bad experience w few years back regarding dealers servicing my bike so hence why Iíve stayed away. Many thanks

Awful situation for you mate, I do hope something gets sorted for you.

Did you have the bike from new?

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 06:21:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the situation you are in - it certainly has the potential to get very messy indeed, though I hope it doesn't!

I think it would be very wise to speak to somebody in your local Trading Standards office just to get an idea of your consumer rights in this situation.   You really need to have as much information as possible about your legal rights and the responsibilities of the manufacturers and suppliers.

Hope it all gets resolved with a minimum of fuss, delay and expense and do, please, come back and let us know how it all goes.

Regards,

Adie

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple R Low
  • City / Town: London/Alps
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 06:48:03 PM
Google found something which may have a similar cause --- which makes me wonder if there is a batch of affected 765s.  I hope not, as I am still running mine in.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/2009-street-triple-woes-no-more-yeah-right.960568/

It does seem unfortunate his 675 had issues, as did the 2019 765 he bought as a replacement.  At least it was new enough to ensure he got a new engine installed and seemingly all fine since.

Offline gmercer1

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple r
  • City / Town: Bolton
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 03:04:32 PM
*Originally Posted by 2012StreetT [+]
Awful situation for you mate, I do hope something gets sorted for you.

Did you have the bike from new?
Thanks for all the replies all.
Yes I bought the bike from new.
Iím not holding my breath with the dealer as I had an older street triple 675 from new a few years back and after a year I noticed the belly pan had started melting as it was fitted wrongly from new....only slightly but enough to put it too close the the Downpipes and start melting. Anyway dealer refused any help so emailed Triumph UK direct. Couple of days later had a phone call from the same dealer that refused to help asking me to bring it in and they would resolve the issue.
I know itís out of warranty Iím just hoping Triumph UK are concerned enough to think there may be a bigger issue with their engine as it has been fully serviced and only has 11000 miles on it and offer to help me out in some way.
Anyway will keep you all posted  :028:

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 10:04:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies all.
Yes I bought the bike from new.
Iím not holding my breath with the dealer as I had an older street triple 675 from new a few years back and after a year I noticed the belly pan had started melting as it was fitted wrongly from new....only slightly but enough to put it too close the the Downpipes and start melting. Anyway dealer refused any help so emailed Triumph UK direct. Couple of days later had a phone call from the same dealer that refused to help asking me to bring it in and they would resolve the issue.
I know itís out of warranty Iím just hoping Triumph UK are concerned enough to think there may be a bigger issue with their engine as it has been fully serviced and only has 11000 miles on it and offer to help me out in some way.

I'm sure you already are but, in this period, I would be trying very hard to gather as much evidence as possible that the bike has been properly maintained to Triumph's standards and schedules using (preferably) Triumph parts.   I'd ask your mechanic if he has ANY evidence (dated receipts; invoices, etc.) that can be produced to show that he used genuine Triumph parts and recommended materials.  I'm pretty sure it won't be enough to simply assert that the mechanic "used genuine Triumph parts", or that "all service items were to Triumph specification and schedules" - you'll need solid evidence to back up any assertion.

I know that the following refers to cars but I THINK it may be applicable to motorcycles, too - worth checking.

The choice is yours

Itís your choice when it comes to selecting where your car is going to be serviced and by whom. As well as being required to offer at least a two-year unlimited mileage warranty on all their new cars Ė regardless of any change of ownership Ė car makers in the UK cannot force a buyer to have their vehicle serviced by their official dealership network.

And that means they also canít refuse to honour a new car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. Itís all part of an agreement called the European Union Block Exemption legislation, which has been active for many years and which, even though the UK has now left the EU, still stands.

However, manufacturers do have the right to set a servicing schedule for their vehicles, which must be adhered to. So, if you do choose to turn your back on the main dealer and go instead to an independent engineer or mechanic, make sure you have your service book stamped, ensure you keep records of any work you have had done and insist that approved parts and lubricants are used in any repairs, in line with the manufacturerís guidelines.

ďNothing much has changed in respect of the Block Exemption regulations, even though the UK has now left the EU,Ē says a spokesman for the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT). ďAnd to be honest, we donít see anything changing in that respect for the foreseeable future.

ďItís important that you follow the manufacturer guidelines concerning service intervals, such as one year or 10,000 miles, and you must use the approved parts. But otherwise, you canít be forced to use a dealerís workshop for your carís service.Ē

Definitely worth looking into.  Good luck with it!

Regards,

Adie

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 11:06:15 AM
Unfortunately the 'Block exemption Rules' that apply to car manufacturers doe not apply to motorcycles;

See  https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/#:~:text=The%20short%20answer%20is%20that,major%20motor%20manufacturers%20to%20Court%2C

The article also confirms some of the comments above that dealer margins on new biles are slim and servicing and accessories is what keeps them going.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 11:07:49 AM

As you are already aware, the dealer is only the middle man and has no say in what happens under warranty etc. ...good luck with the issues, I hope  Triumph help you out as said previously, the bike should be fit for purpose and last at least 50k if serviced correctly and looked after....and possibly a life time if you have Triggered the continuous replacement policy  :821: 
Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:10:59 AM by Tomspurs
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline gmercer1

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple r
  • City / Town: Bolton
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 08:25:05 PM
Quick update

Emailed Triumph UK yesterday and they replied today to say get the bike shipped to a dealer and they will look in to it for me and offer some assistance towards the repairs even though itís out of warranty.
Fingers crossed