Author Topic: K and N Oil Filter Warning.  (Read 374 times)

Offline weaveman

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
K and N Oil Filter Warning.
on: January 19, 2021, 07:26:42 PM
Some of you will know exactly what I am about to say .I almost suffered a catastrophic crash due to a leaking K and N oil filter.I had a huge rear wheel slide which almost resulted in a highside.I still don't know how I stayed on.It turned out the filter was leaking from the nut area.It had been on for 3000 miles and I put it on myself hand -tight.I have 2 bikes and I always used these filters but never again.I have since read many accounts of them failing.So be warned!

Offline Triple fan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: K and N Oil Filter Warning.
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:13:36 PM
Here's one going pop on a Speed Triple  :005:

The owner was lucky he wasn't going at speed when it failed.There's a few examples of them failing with different bikes.Good to hear you managed to stay on the bike!

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: K and N Oil Filter Warning.
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:30:15 AM
*Originally Posted by weaveman [+]
Some of you will know exactly what I am about to say .I almost suffered a catastrophic crash due to a leaking K and N oil filter.I had a huge rear wheel slide which almost resulted in a highside.I still don't know how I stayed on.It turned out the filter was leaking from the nut area.It had been on for 3000 miles and I put it on myself hand -tight.I have 2 bikes and I always used these filters but never again.I have since read many accounts of them failing.So be warned!

Morning Weaveman.  First off, the good news out of this is that you didn't crash the bike or destroy the motor - either or both being quite feasible outcomes.

This whole issue of the 'failure' of the integrated nut on K&N oil filters seemed to have receded over the past few years following a fairly well publicised spate of failures.    I've deliberately avoided buying any K&N filter since the spate of failures of that integral nut. 

When you say you put the filter on and hand tightened it, does that mean that you didn't touch the centre hex head at all?  If so, then I'd strongly suggest that you send the filter back to K&N in this country and ask for an investigation into this since it's a reccurence of an issue which led to a safety recall some years ago :-

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/recallkn204

I'd also suggest that you write a strongly worded letter of complaint to them - at very least you should get back the cost of a defective filter!

Send all product or distribution related inquiries to: uk.sales@knfilters.com
Phone:
+44 1925-636950

Fax:
+44 1925-418948

K&N Filters (Europe) Ltd.
Unit 9 Ashville Way
Ashville, Sutton Weaver, WA7 3EZ
United Kingdom

I hope you manage to get some satisfaction from them and would be interested to hear their response.

Regards,

Adie

scandal-fat