Author Topic: adapting gen 1 Daytona or street triple wheels to 2020 ST-RS...  (Read 295 times)

Offline alacrity

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Idea:  adapting gen 1 Daytona or street triple wheels to 2020 ST-RS...

Thinking I can do with with bearings (if axle diameters are different) and spacers (if wheel hub diameters are different.

Hoping front wheel bolt pattern hasn't changed, so I can affix the proper rotors for the new brembos.

Hoping the rear offset hasn't changed, so the tire will be properly centered and the chain path will be perfectly straight.

Anyone done this? the reason to do it is obvious (to me anyway). Gen One wheels are plentiful and CHEAP. I wanna keep a set with slicks mounted for track days.

thanks

Online Gary-401

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple RS 765
  • City / Town: London
Hi i have a gen 1 daytona and a 2017 RS. I ordered a set of captives spacers for the Daytona and the packaging stated they were for the 765 RS. As long as the spacers are good don't see an issue. I will be doing a full strip down the the RS next month once daytona is finished so could do a wheel swap and let you know. I'm sure you want the info sooner than that tho! Worst case you could just get a set of spacers made.

I would say depending on your track level might just be worth buying some Rosso corsa 2s. I have done about 12 trackdays on my RS with these and they are awesome (mid pack of middle group) Also really good on the road unlike the supercosa.
They don't slip and you can push the front hard.

Lastly not too sure on the insurance over there but if you change the wheels you need to let them know otherwise they won't pay out as classed as a modification. (this is for UK and only if you have track day insurance) This might be enough to swing it to just get a set of RS wheels.

I stopped using the RS on track as i got faster. Rather use the cheap daytonda to push the limits on because as you know the harder you push the faster you crash lol. 
"I'm a summertime boy"

Street Triple 765 RS, Daytona 675 Track Bike, Yamaha Tracer 900.

Offline alacrity

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Hiya:
Thanks for the detailed response.
Well you guys have a lot more regulations to deal with in the UK than we have in the USA… At least, currently…
I wonder if you might have a moment when you get your wheel off to measure the diameter of the axles on your RS and compare those to the I.D. of the bearings on the GEN one wheels? Hopefully those are the same/perfect Match.
the next question is the build casting/shape /offset of the rear wheels and exact positioning of the bolt holes for rotor and sprocket , the Cush drive inserts, etc. My concern would be having the chain path not be able to run straight regardless of which spacers one might use.

With a good set of comprehensive measurements, this will be easy-ish.

Thanks

*Originally Posted by Gary-401 [+]
Hi i have a gen 1 daytona and a 2017 RS. I ordered a set of captives spacers for the Daytona and the packaging stated they were for the 765 RS. As long as the spacers are good don't see an issue. I will be doing a full strip down the the RS next month once daytona is finished so could do a wheel swap and let you know. I'm sure you want the info sooner than that tho! Worst case you could just get a set of spacers made.

I would say depending on your track level might just be worth buying some Rosso corsa 2s. I have done about 12 trackdays on my RS with these and they are awesome (mid pack of middle group) Also really good on the road unlike the supercosa.
They don't slip and you can push the front hard.

Lastly not too sure on the insurance over there but if you change the wheels you need to let them know otherwise they won't pay out as classed as a modification. (this is for UK and only if you have track day insurance) This might be enough to swing it to just get a set of RS wheels.

I stopped using the RS on track as i got faster. Rather use the cheap daytonda to push the limits on because as you know the harder you push the faster you crash lol.

Offline TC

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: STR RS
  • City / Town: Reading
Wouldn't be surprised if they are interchangeable, some things don't seem to change much.
I bought a 2014 tank to try on my 2020 RS for a trackday, it went straight on.  :002:
2020 Street Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt
2017 ZX10R KRT track bike

TC Drag Bike