Author Topic: No Power  (Read 323 times)

Offline TRIPLER675

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 675
  • City / Town: Oxford
No Power
on: March 28, 2021, 10:44:08 PM
Hi new to the forum and have been trawling the posts for some help I had my bike about a week went for a ride popped into the shop come back out turn the key and nothing worked no dash no lights nothing so called up the AA as I had no other option the guy came checked fuses under the tank and one had blown so I was pleased to get back on my way rode home parked up and then turned off and then switched back to on to check was all good still then on Saturday went to go out on the bike and turned the key and nothing again went on to again checking fuses under tank and they were all good so Iím wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do next

Many thanks in advance

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Re: No Power
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:02:50 AM
Hi, sounds so frustrating - especially on a newly purchased machine. I've had my STR a couple of years now and I've not had any need to get my hands dirty other than the usual maintenance (reaching out to touch wood at this point).

Also worth mentioning that I'm not a mechanic. But I have been on this forum for a while & seen what issues others have had.

So, having replaced the fuse first time around, are the symptoms still as below...
1/ when you turn on the ignition, do you have any dash lights?
2/ when you turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

If NO to both of the above I think I'd start looking around the headstock to see whether the wiring loom has been damaged as this is not an uncommon issue with these bikes. Also check for loose plugs etc - including under the tank.

I'm sure someone will shoot me down in flames shortly, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Steve.
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1989 Yamaha TDR250
recent departures: 2003 ZRX1200r + 2015 CRF250L :-(

Offline TRIPLER675

• Topic Author
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 12:04:31 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply I did take a quick look round the headstock and nothing obviously worn or broken Iíve spoken to the dealer who I bought it off and there gonna fix it under arrant just annoyed as it will be a few weeks probably till I can ride it again only done a few miles on it since I bought it

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:15:58 PM
Yes, must be very frustrating - but good that they have taken your issue on-board. Some dealers (mostly the bigger ones I suspect) will loan you a bike whilst they fix yours. I would have thought that you'd stand a good chance of a loan bike as your issue has arisen so soon after purchase?

Steve.
1989 Yamaha TDR250

Offline TRIPLER675

• Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 12:35:26 PM
This is something I forgot to ask but may be more awkward as the dealer I bought from is Nottingham and Iím Oxford so there paying for my local triumph to sort the issue I guess I could as if a loan bike would be available if I contact the Oxford branch myself

Offline sabre

• Street Triple Pro
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 12:45:29 PM
Worth a try. I guess they'll just stick any charges on the invoice to Nottingham.  :038:
1989 Yamaha TDR250

scandal-fat