Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noise testing on a track day  (Read 2320 times)

Offline philthewindsurfer

• Street Triple Master
Re: Noise testing on a track day
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
Talking about not being able to ride at all, I was at Castle Coombe once and the instructor was told he needed to get his bike tested too. New Ducati with Termi's. Uh oh :006:
At the briefing a rather embarrassed organiser from CC said they have to have an instructor do the sighting laps with riders following for insurance purposes. We would have to wait for him to fit his standard cans or get baffles put in or something like that.
I offered my bike up for him to use to get things started on time, which was accepted.  They gave me a free trackday as a thank you. Result.

Offline philthewindsurfer

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
Just found this from one of the UKs premier trackday organiers

http://www.focusedevents.com/news_info.asp?ID=128

Big Kev whispers:

Here is something we want all customers to carefully consider. Noise is now becoming more of an issue on every trackday in the UK. Noisy days especially are coming in for a lot of scrutiny. These are 105 db and they have always been this, apart from Brands Hatch GP which is 101db. These limits are static tested which means that you are required to give a given RPM depending on your cc and number of cylinders. They are actually quite good as the limit at BSB is 107db on a static test. If its not a noisy day, the decibel limit for the day will be noted and all regulations for each day go to the customer either by post or attached to your online confirmation.
The limit on the roads incidentally is 84db at 35mph.
MSV have been static testing for 2 years now and its not because they were forced to its because they decided to make sure that if the Council or neibours thought they were being inconsiderate that they could prove that this was not the case.
Now Silverstone and Pembury are coming under pressure from their local councils regarding noise, and to be honest here at Focused we have been astounded at some of the readings taken when customers were brought in. One bike registering 112db.
The reality here is that we all need to have a more responsible view towards this issue. Donington Park has had really heavy restrictions placed upon it, with a direct link to the local council, and if things get out of hand they can close the circuit down. Thruxton cannot be used at all. Castle Coombe is limited to 10 bikes per session, on road systems, and poor old Goodwood is 5 bikes for 5 laps and all on road silencers and if 2 pass together it goes over the limit and the council closes the circuit for 15 minutes as a penalty as they have a direct link to the circuits db meter.
So where do we go from here, we ask ? Well for a start everyone needs to understand that if they put an aftermarket system on that it needs to be regularly serviced. Cans have to be repacked at least twice year if they are been used regularly. And make sure that the system or can that you are buying falls within the guidelines, as without a doubt there are some very short-sighted manufacturers out there who from the readings we have seen are here to make a fast pound today without given a seconds thought for our tommorow.
We all need to work together because if we don't the pastime that we all love so much will be drastically changed forever, and self policing is the way forward to show the councils and the local communities that we are all working together to run within the rules.
Don't misunderstand us here at Focused, we absolutely deplore the fact that the attitude from some members of public is "blimey there's a race track next door, i never saw that when we bought the house, it must have been built just before we exchanged contracts !!!! Well i am not putting up with that noise !!"
These are the problems and attitudes that we have to face and have to work with, we all need to be responsible and work together..... and then we can continue to enjoy our fantastic expierience called Trackdays.

Offline injury_ian

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Chobham
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
 :460:

Recent Posts/Topics