Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: next trackday, rain forecast  (Read 544 times)

Offline cjm_2012

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: street trip R/vfr750
  • City / Town: cardiff, uk
next trackday, rain forecast
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
I've got my next trackday booked for this friday @ anglesey; I have heard nothing but praise regarding that circuit, but the forecast is looking decidedly dodgy & I don't have wets!

It's already paid for - 140 quid - what would the track day regulars on here suggest?

That's a lot of money to chuck down the drain, but I'm thinking that trying to ride fast in the wet without the right tyres is a bit silly?

:187:

Offline lillebc

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2010 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Oslo
Re: next trackday, rain forecast
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:55:08 AM »
Not sure what tyre's you're running. I had a wet track day a while ago with bt-016 tyres. They were really slippery in those conditions. The day before our track day it had been a car drifting event on the same track as well, old rubber + rain, not a good combination. We had two riders going down before it started to dry up.

But, all in all, I think it was a good experience. You need to go slower, but it's a good learning experience when the bike slips a little. Although a dry track is much more fun....

Offline cjm_2012

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by lillebc [+]
Not sure what tyre's you're running. I had a wet track day a while ago with bt-016 tyres. They were really slippery in those conditions. The day before our track day it had been a car drifting event on the same track as well, old rubber + rain, not a good combination. We had two riders going down before it started to dry up.

But, all in all, I think it was a good experience. You need to go slower, but it's a good learning experience when the bike slips a little. Although a dry track is much more fun....

Dunlop Sportsmarts!

I'd shy away from riding in the wet under normal circumstances.

My VFR750 has pilot road 3s though - maybe I ought to take that instead :)

Offline bazzer

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Most regulars fit into two camps. One camp would stay in the garages all day. The other would put their wet wheels on and go and play.

I don't mind riding in the wet on my rain tyres. I hate it when the weather does not make its mind up and it seems like I am swapping wheels every session !!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline injury_ian

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Chobham
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
Get out there and have some fun...

I've done a couple of track days in the wet, just start slowly and increase as you gain confidence, you'll soon be circulating at a similar speed to what you would have in the dry.

To proper track day riders the BT016 IS an 'intermediate' wet/dry tyre.

Offline cjm_2012

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »
The forecast for friday seems to be worsening by the day.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel my day off and just take the 140 quid hit, unless of course it's so sodden that they cancel it anyway (fingers crossed).

It's a 4 hour trip, each way... 80 quid in diesel etc etc.

Offline punyXpress

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR
  • City / Town: Pickering
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
VFR it is, then ?

Offline cjm_2012

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by punyXpress [+]
VFR it is, then ?

I've emailed them asking if I can switch to the 28th instead - the forecast for next week is ok from tuesday onwards (as reliable as that is).

Offline Hamos

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2013 street triple R
  • City / Town: Merseyside
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »
I used to do a lot of track days on a GSXR 750.  I went out on road tyres (dunlop qualifiers) in the rain and was surprised by the grip they offered.  Took it steady and ended up having great fun.
Eventually I got wets and they were a real hoot.

I woud go out even if it is wet and use it as a test to see what road tyres can do.

Offline cjm_2012

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
I called no limits today, they were very good and allowed me to shift the day to the 28th instead.

I'm planning on going to Bedford Autodrome on Saturday (driving over friday night) as the forecast is promising.

Does anyone know of any secure places to park up & kip in or around Bedford? I don't fancy getting up at 4 am on Saturday to make it there for 7 - and apparently there's no access to the track overnight.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat