Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What have you done on your Street Triple today?  (Read 511429 times)

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: What have you done on your Street Triple today?
« Reply #3580 on: October 04, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
That connector would be the first thing to check, then check the wiring harness where it exits the frame infill as ISTR that causes exactly the same symptoms.

Is it one of these connectors? I'm guessing the one I labeled 'ignition'.

Don't know if this is any good to you Hot metal. The photos were taken looking roughly forward with the airbox off.

Offline fubar69

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: street triple
  • City / Town: Bordon
« Reply #3581 on: October 04, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »
I've had a cheeky little ride out this evening. 1st one for a month since a weekend in Devon and deciding I don't like riding the street. It was uncomfortable and harsh. In a last ditch attempt to regain some comfort I took off my drag bars and ordered some ultra lows, bike is now comfortable again and grin factor returned.
Next step is to fit new m7rr tomorrow to bst carbon wheels then fit the wheels on Friday.
Mmmmm, carbon.
Fun stuff = Zxr400, Daytona 675, Striple 675, Speed 1050, Striple 675 (bought it back and keeper),
Work mules = Versys 650, Kawasaki er6f, Suzuki gsx1250fa, Kawasaki z1000sx

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3582 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by fubar69 [+]
I've had a cheeky little ride out this evening. 1st one for a month since a weekend in Devon and deciding I don't like riding the street. It was uncomfortable and harsh. In a last ditch attempt to regain some comfort I took off my drag bars and ordered some ultra lows, bike is now comfortable again and grin factor returned.
Next step is to fit new m7rr tomorrow to bst carbon wheels then fit the wheels on Friday.
Mmmmm, carbon.

Are you going to weigh the carbon wheels and tells us the result vs the stock wheels when you take them off. It would be nice to know. I bet the saving is substantial enough that you need to tweak your damping settings to compensate  :002:

Offline fubar69

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3583 on: October 05, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
That was the plan until it went a bit belly up fitting the rear tyre. The machine jammed up and there were some not so nice noises coming from the wheel. It's going to hpsbikes tomorrow for inspection.  The wheels themselves weigh approx 5.5kg as opposed to around 9-10kg.
I'll see how it goes with the suspension as it's recently been set for my weight, technically it shouldn't make a massive difference as it's unsprung, so I'll see how it goes.
Fun stuff = Zxr400, Daytona 675, Striple 675, Speed 1050, Striple 675 (bought it back and keeper),

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3584 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by fubar69 [+]
That was the plan until it went a bit belly up fitting the rear tyre. The machine jammed up and there were some not so nice noises coming from the wheel. It's going to hpsbikes tomorrow for inspection.  The wheels themselves weigh approx 5.5kg as opposed to around 9-10kg.
I'll see how it goes with the suspension as it's recently been set for my weight, technically it shouldn't make a massive difference as it's unsprung, so I'll see how it goes.

Really sorry to hear the fitting didn't go well. Sounds bad to be honest. You don't want to have a Robert Dunlop style Dymag failure - that was horrendous.

The weight saving is awesome! That'll really help acceleration, braking and turn in. It'll feel much more nimble. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that saving that much unsprung weight you'll turn into bends too quickly and have to pick the bike back up again - it'll be brilliant.

I think it's precisely because the weight is unsprung that you might need to change damping settings. For example, when you go over a bump the suspension has less weight twanging up and down to control. I could be wrong, but I once fitted some very light Michelin race tyres to an old GSX600F and the damping was massively out afterwards. Mind you, my tyre change also brought about a massive change in profile and carcass flexibility too, so maybe I'm well wide of the mark.

Good luck with them. Hope the rear is ok.

Offline Ozi

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2010 ST3R
  • City / Town: Carlow
« Reply #3585 on: October 06, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
Booked in for a dyno run with the view of a custom map, watch this space !

Offline fubar69

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3586 on: October 06, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
Really sorry to hear the fitting didn't go well. Sounds bad to be honest. You don't want to have a Robert Dunlop style Dymag failure - that was horrendous.

The weight saving is awesome! That'll really help acceleration, braking and turn in. It'll feel much more nimble. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that saving that much unsprung weight you'll turn into bends too quickly and have to pick the bike back up again - it'll be brilliant.

I think it's precisely because the weight is unsprung that you might need to change damping settings. For example, when you go over a bump the suspension has less weight twanging up and down to control. I could be wrong, but I once fitted some very light Michelin race tyres to an old GSX600F and the damping was massively out afterwards. Mind you, my tyre change also brought about a massive change in profile and carcass flexibility too, so maybe I'm well wide of the mark.

Good luck with them. Hope the rear is ok.

Thanks for the well wishes. I certainly don't want any incidents, that's why I wanted to fit them myself. It's just typical the machine has a hissy fit about 8 inches from the end. It still could of been worse as at least I noticed and can do something about it.
I see what you mean about the settings and you could be right, I'll update once I've got a response from bst, I may end up with a pair of metzeler m7rr and a front wheel for sale ;)

Offline stevebst675

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: '17 CB500X/390 Duke
  • City / Town: South Beds.
« Reply #3587 on: October 07, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
Had the Arrow twin exhaust remap done at the local Triumph dealer.
Happy days indeed. :001:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:34:31 PM by stevebst675 »
Life is better on two wheels

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #3588 on: October 08, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
Trailered my bike up to Clive Wood, 2.5hrs + each way! Fixed the problem with blank dash/no starting, and still fitted in almost a full 24k service! Cam chain noise almost eliminated too. All in one day and cost less than what a main dealer would've charged just for the ignition switch. For those who have followed this mini saga, we couldn't find a positive break or fault with the cables themselves, but swapping the loom fixed it, so it may have been the grey ignition connector under the airbox, or a fracture below the insulation. Clive pretty much did it 'under warranty' as he fitted the other one a couple of years ago and was having to take the airbox out anyway as part of the 24k. Unbelievable, you can not say fairer than that. Made the journey and trailer hire worthwhile.

----
Sixties scooters weren't magic - it was all smoke and mirrors.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #3589 on: October 09, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Tested and taxed for another year. Gave the pass light switch a good old squirt of contact cleaner and got it working again. They have a tendency to stop working due to lack of use - crud builds up on the contacts if you don't use it regularly, and I don't often find the need - I think it's unexpected that a bike will flash a car out (which in any case is a misuse according to the highway code). The only time I ever really use it is to remind an oncoming vehicle to dip their lights, so it hardly gets used. But it does work again now, in time for the season where lights are extra important.

----
Sixties scooters weren't magic - it was all smoke and mirrors.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat