Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What have you done on your Street Triple today?  (Read 715568 times)

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: What have you done on your Street Triple today?
« Reply #4890 on: November 08, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Hi EllyV6

Of course , you can choose to invest in an aftermarket rear suspension, Ohlins or Nitron, and it is worth the cost, because it makes the bike just a lot better.
Or, if you don't want to spend that kind of money on an older bike, you can do what I did and go for a used Honda CBR600RR rearshock. I bought one for 75 . I did combine this modification with a set of flux plates .
This changes the bike for the better a lot and on top of that I now have an adjustable suspension. Not only preload, but also compression and rebound settings.
You can read about it here : https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,9381.240.html

By an odd quirk of coincidence (!) I happen to have a CBR600RR shock for sale.  Strange but true.  Details in the classifieds somehwere or PM me!  :038:

Offline doolar

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: -18 RS
  • City / Town: Limhamn
« Reply #4891 on: November 08, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Washed the bike after yesterdays mud fest on country roads. Started out sunny with 8 degrees and ended up in rain. But it was still a great ride!

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Lancs
« Reply #4892 on: November 08, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Hi EllyV6

Of course , you can choose to invest in an aftermarket rear suspension, Ohlins or Nitron, and it is worth the cost, because it makes the bike just a lot better.
Or, if you don't want to spend that kind of money on an older bike, you can do what I did and go for a used Honda CBR600RR rearshock. I bought one for 75 . I did combine this modification with a set of flux plates .
This changes the bike for the better a lot and on top of that I now have an adjustable suspension. Not only preload, but also compression and rebound settings.
You can read about it here : https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,9381.240.html

Thanks for that, I have heard that this shock can be used but does it lift the rear end of the bike at all? By that I mean is the shock longer slightly than the standard one? Is that what the plates are for? or required?

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4893 on: November 08, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
By an odd quirk of coincidence (!) I happen to have a CBR600RR shock for sale.  Strange but true.  Details in the classifieds somehwere or PM me!  :038:

How do I search the classifieds, can't see a search bar unless I am not looking in the correct place !!

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #4894 on: November 09, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by EllyV6 [+]
How do I search the classifieds, can't see a search bar unless I am not looking in the correct place !!

I don't know the actual answer to your question so I just did a search for CBR600RR using my forum name.

Anyway - the original marketplace ad. is here :-

https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,34105.msg373896.html#msg373896

Feel free to pm me any questions.

Regards,

Adie

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #4895 on: November 09, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
I've been a bit slow with my winter prep. this year but a fine morning so I've been out and got the bike washed, dried, polished and ACF 50'd, all before lunch.
Feeling it a bit in my poor old bones as I did the same with my other bike yesterday and realised I just couldn't face doing both bikes in one day  :003:

It's a good feeling, knowing they're both ready before the gritters appear. The sun's still out so maybe I can give them both a run before the sun gets too low  :002:

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4896 on: November 09, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
I don't know the actual answer to your question so I just did a search for CBR600RR using my forum name.

Anyway - the original marketplace ad. is here :-

https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,34105.msg373896.html#msg373896

Feel free to pm me any questions.

Regards,

Adie

Done

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
« Reply #4897 on: November 09, 2019, 04:51:16 PM »
EllyV6,

If you change the OEM rearschock of an 2011 ( nonR) street triple to a CBR600RR shock, you will notice that the rear will lift (3cm) . It will be about the same as an 2011 street triple R.
If you are fine with that there is no problem.

I combined this modification with changing the stock suspension plates by DIY flux mkII plates. The flux plates will help correct an overly enthusiastic rising rate ratio but as a side effect they lower the rear a bit.
The standard street triple spring is soft, but when going in , it tends to bind (become suddenly very hard) very fast, giving that harsh ride on a bad road. Changing the 2 plates (between spring,swingarm and dogbone) changes the geometry and has an effect on this binding, making it a bit more lineair/less progressive.
So in my case the combination between the CBR600RR shock and the flux mkII plates gave me the same ridehight as an OEM street triple (non R), BUT it rides less harsh and gives you the possibility to change compression and rebound.

Read the topic about it. You will need new bolts and some spacers in the form of washers of the right thickness. For the rest it is an easy mod.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:00:02 PM by gvy »

Offline EllyV6

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #4898 on: November 09, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
EllyV6,

If you change the OEM rearschock of an 2011 ( nonR) street triple to a CBR600RR shock, you will notice that the rear will lift (3cm) . It will be about the same as an 2011 street triple R.
If you are fine with that there is no problem.

I combined this modification with changing the stock suspension plates by DIY flux mkII plates. The flux plates will help correct an overly enthusiastic rising rate ratio but as a side effect they lower the rear a bit.
The standard street triple spring is soft, but when going in , it tends to bind (become suddenly very hard) very fast, giving that harsh ride on a bad road. Changing the 2 plates (between spring,swingarm and dogbone) changes the geometry and has an effect on this binding, making it a bit more lineair/less progressive.
So in my case the combination between the CBR600RR shock and the flux mkII plates gave me the same ridehight as an OEM street triple (non R), BUT it rides less harsh and gives you the possibility to change compression and rebound.

Read the topic about it. You will need new bolts and some spacers in the form of washers of the right thickness. For the rest it is an easy mod.

That's great , thank you ! I would like to keep the same ride height so "flux" plates are required I guess...or similar?

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #4899 on: November 10, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »
What a lovely day! I was working this morning but a call from one of my local forum mates tempted me to abandon it and get the bike out. Cracking ride round in the sunshine. Chilly but not really very cold and ended up at the Strand in Rye with 9 of my fellow forum members for a lot of banter, coffee and cakes before another great ride home.
Shame about all the muck on the roads, especially after spending hours cleaning and getting it ready for winter, but it would have been a waste of such perfect weather to stay at home and work.  :002:

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat